• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

Some last minute surfing on MEC and reading of reviews has me going away from the Hubba Hubba to the Black Diamond Mesa.

It's a little cheaper (not a big deal to but a penny saved is a penny more spent on something else) and the big thing that got me was one review written by a former Hubba Hubba guy. For a while I had been all about trying to save weight as my MSR Elbow Room 2 comes in at over 3 kilos, but some of the reviews on MEC noted that the construction of the Hubba Hubba, particularly the mesh, was not as robust as other tents. The Mesa fits into MECs ''Trip and Trail'' category which I assume means good for those who like to car camp and also bust loose on the trail, but it is, at least to me, a borderline ultralight tent at 2.3 kilos. My wife pointed out that it's 300 grams heavier than the Hubba Hubba but when you're used to carrying over 3 already then anything below that is a savings. The other thing about its weight is the 2.3 kilos they use for it is with patches, pegs and tie downs while the Hubba Hubba does not come with any of that.

Retired AF Guy said:
I'm looking at buying a parka, and so far, I've narrowed my search down to to two candidates:

- STORMTECH TPX-2 MEN'S  THREE-IN-ONE PARKA
- Mistsy Mountain EXPEDITION DOWN/POLY JACKET

I was wondering if anyone has worn either one (or both) and what they thought of them. Any help is much appreciated.

I supply my staff with the Stormtech TPX-2 3-in-1s. They are a very good buy for the money. The polarfleece liner supplied is decent, could be a little thicker. The jackets last us at least 2 years of continuous daily wear, in some pretty wet inclimate weather. We've noticed that the waterproofing tends to degrade a bit, but then, if you don't ever put the shell in the dryer, it should be fine.

Scott said:
-Heading back to Tuonela in a couple of weeks for a three day getaway with 9 other brave souls. www.skituonela.com for anyone in the Maritimes who might be interested. It's absolutelt AWESOME there and they often get heaps more snow than folk in the city might think. The hosts are world travelers with a wee bit of maverick hippy loaded in, lots of fun to speak with.

Hope they didn't and don't get the frickin' rain some of NS got.  :mad:

Album #1 on their site, "dog stares down moose".  Had to LOL.  ;D

Speaking of canoes: planning is underway for a second edition of the canoe waterways booklet. We're speaking about a Facebook page and Twitter feed this time to keep folks updated on our progress and cross promote with sponsors.

I'll report back on the conditions at Tuonela.

All new routes? 

Eye In The Sky said:
Hope they didn't and don't get the frickin' rain some of NS got.  :mad:

Album #1 on their site, "dog stares down moose".  Had to LOL.  ;D

They're pretty awesome there. They were closed today but the forecast is for colder temps over the weekend. Hopefully they get a couple of dumps of snow in the next two weeks.

All new routes? 

So far as I know.

We're talking about Cloud Lake on some sort of circuit or linear route and I have proposed the Musquodoboit River with a jaunt into White's Lake over the manmaker portage. We haven't ruled out more time in the Tangier but it might be better to come back at that in a third edition (if the second doesn't kill us)

Paul's coming to Tuonela so I am certain there will be at least one night of drinking and planning. I plan to press him on the Facebook/Twitter thing since it a) makes sense, b) will be loved by sponsors, c) will be interactive, more than a book, d) I can maintain it from work.

You've got some gooders there, Tess. I like Gregory's designs, reminds me a lot of a North Face pack I once had (it was a good pack, too)

MEC has some decent boots. I have been hearing loads of good chatter about Zamberlan or any Italian made shoe. I don't worry about waterproofing...but I am wearing old style leather mountain boots. Mink oil or get wet!

Eye In The Sky said:
The Vioz are decent boots.  Depends on what you're looking for I guess.

I friend of mine has a pair and he's outside all the time and he love's them. Unfortunately, I don't know what particular kind he has.

After checking around, Ebay, Amazon, etc I paid $33 at MEC.  Added a few things Mrs EITS wanted and got the free shipping.

* the orange isn't as "bright" as the pics make it seem, which is good IMO.

Very nice indeed.

I went for the Flashy advertising, and like a blackbird went fir the shiny item and got me the Bear Grylls Knife;

4755.jpg

And his Multitool

Bear-Grylls-Survival-Series-Ultimate-Multi-Tool-2.jpg

So far happy with both, but this year will tell when I put them to the test.  I am a big fan of Gerber, so I expect that I will like them.  The knife feels good in the hand, and the multitool opens and works well with each tool.

dileas

tess

For $60ish or so, it is a decent knife that does more than 'cut'.  If you find it is a crappy knife or something and are looking to spend the same amount, you might like the Mora Bushcraft Survival as a replacement (about $60 USD on Ebay).

I liked the Gerber LMF but in the end opted out as I was looking for something without the serrations.  Not sure why they don't offer with and without

Eye In The Sky said:
I missed that yellow part on the first reading.  Assuming it is an earned name.  :eek:

8)

You cross it on the North Granite Ridge trail and on the northern half of the rail trail (the tributary you paddle up to the portage). It's long, steep and fucking unforgiving. I know it by several names, rather words, string together and spit out through tears and sweat. Thankfully it's just that one hill and that's it, but it requires planning because it is most definitely not a two tripper - unless you're really, really stupid. But truth be told, it's one of the easier portages from a technical point of view because usually the boat balances better going up hill as compared to down, on flats, or sidehilling. It's just complete murder on the legs.

I'm thinking of the hill at the mid point of the trail (the end of both the NGR and SGR) and going up it the first time I was there because I thought I'd do the SGR clockwise so I came off the trail closer to the parking lot.  IIRC, anyone who was nearby would have heard some "F**K F**K F**K!' when I realized why that part is usually the end and downhill

Now...imaging that with a canoe and kit....that's just cruel and unusual punishment.  >:D

Hmmm.  I've never done NGR yet...*checks weather for Sunday*.

Whoever laid out the trails had some sadistic mofo in them. I swear to God that there is more elevation change than Cape Chignecto. I could just be whining, though. The portage is all uphill. Very little respite.

If you've never done NGR take a GPS and one of their maps. The tree tags were piss poor the last time I was through. Oh, and there's some tree fall, just to make your day complete. Hopefully someone would have cleaned it up by now but you never know.

I cheat alittle;  I use geocaches as waypoints and there are a handful up on that one.  8)  Some of the Juan damage in that area is...magical.

If you have a few minutes, have a read of some of the comments logged on this geocache and the gallery; The Eagles Nest.  Your description of the portage made me think of some of the comments.

I'm hoping to hit that one in the spring before the flies. 

I ''think'' I have seen that one from the air. Whenever I am working offshore in Canada the chopper flight path heads over the Musquodoboit Harbour area-ish and I have used the flights to scout different camp sites on the beaches but also take note of rocky outcrops. I'm not 100% sure this is it, but anyway.

That NGR portage is one of the toughest I have seen in Nova Scotia. The Tangier route has some pretty messed up ones but only one of this sort of length and none with the terrain (although there was one that had a short uphill where we had to climb over blowdown that was NOT fun) But it would likely pale in comparison to some of the routes in Ontario or Quebec.

I'm curious if anyone knows any service personnel in Greenwood who have experience in the Cloud Lake area? We're going to be trying for some sort of semi-defined route through it but also use the lakes not just for transit but also for exploring islands, etc. I know there are some well established campsites in there but it's been years...

Back