• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our PM

Jascar said:
My point was that if none of us know how much Bono is donating, why just assume he's not? And even if he's not, I think he's still doing admirable work. Like I said, most other musicians promote themselves, then keep all the money for themselves, and nobody thinks twice about it. If Bono chooses to direct a little money Africa's way, even if his band gets some promotion from it, I say good on him.

Aside from the charity work, Bono himself has raised awareness of African issues around the world, with national leaders and regular Joes like us. He's not always asking for money, sometimes he just wants you to think about what's going on in Africa. In fact, his "charity" website you posted the link to isn't a charity at all and doesn't claim to be one, it's about promoting African issues.

I'm not a die-hard Bono fan, but I think he does far more good than your average musician and we should be thanking rather than criticizing him.

Its called leading by example, if he really wants us to pressure our governments to give money a useless cause (it a useless cause until you get rid of all the corrupt governments in those countries who just take and keep the money), let him put HIS money were HIS mouth is.  And I thought self-promotion and making money was what the music biz was all about.  Those who aren't interested in making money don't. 

As far as Bono raising the issue, I guess Oxfam, UNICEF, CCF, Red Cross, Doctors without Borders et al. having been sitting on their butts right?  As far as I am concerned all this Africa stuff is just a way to garner attention for him and his band, and until he actually does something like I dunno give money (his own), or go down there and help out for lets say decade (and not write poetry and take pictures this time). He is not entitled to one red cent of Canadian TAXPAYERS money.

Hatchet Man said:
Its called leading by example, if he really wants us to pressure our governments to give money a useless cause (it a useless cause until you get rid of all the corrupt governments in those countries who just take and keep the money), let him put HIS money were HIS mouth is.
Again, neither of us knows whether or not Bono personally donates any money to charity, so we can't really comment about it.

Hatchet Man said:
As far as Bono raising the issue, I guess Oxfam, UNICEF, CCF, Red Cross, Doctors without Borders et al. having been sitting on their butts right?  
No they haven't, but what does that have to do with Bono? How many people do you think actually pay any attention to Oxfam's message? Very few. How many people hear Bono's message? Millions! Whether you agree with African debt cancellation or not, Bono and Live 8 got people talking about it and that was the whole point. Believe it or not, some people are totally uneducated about African issues and just dismiss any charity efforts as pointless due to African leaders' corruption. But those issues, including the corruption, have to be addressed and somebody needs to start the ball rolling. Bono, aka Satan's right hand man, seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Jascar said:
No they haven't, but what does that have to do with Bono? How many people do you think actually pay any attention to Oxfam's message? Very few. How many people hear Bono's message? Millions! Whether you agree with African debt cancellation or not, Bono and Live 8 got people talking about it and that was the whole point. Believe it or not, some people are totally uneducated about African issues and just dismiss any charity efforts as pointless due to African leaders' corruption. But those issues, including the corruption, have to be addressed and somebody needs to start the ball rolling. Bono, aka Satan's right hand man, seems to be doing a pretty good job.

I don't have allot of time for guys like Bono or people who slavishly hang on their every word. Once Bono does his "bit" for Africa he's back to his megabucks life style. Africa's problems won't be solved with a live 8 concerts or by people talking about it, it's the cause of the moment for aging rock stars and will soon be forgotten. We've been sinking billions into Africa for years and what has changed? Nothing. When get rid of corrupt governments who siphon off aid money for private armies and dictator's bank accounts, only then will we see change. Africa must take charge of it's own problems. Sadly the wealthy part of the world has no interest in becoming embroiled in a continent that has nothing to offer.

Jumper said:
Yes it bugs me too, that our politicians get all goo goo eyed at the likes of Bono and Sir Bob G. The audacity of these millionaire rock stars telling us how to run our country and how much we should be giving in foreign aid. What really ticked me off was Sir Bobs statement prior to the G8 telling our PM to stay home if he wouldn't pony up more money. We truly are a nation of sheep.

Exactly if the government was run right, it would be the Prime Minister who would be revered not the Rock Star.

Back