• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPME Rejection Notices

How many members have received a notice of rejection while applying for an OPME in the last year.

• yes, I'm an officer.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • no, I'm an officer.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • yes, I'm an NCM/SNCO.

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • no, I'm an NCM/SNCO.

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
ModlrMike said:
I notice on the OPME site that the summer term opens for registration on 1 Feb 11. I don't know if applying on that very day will increase one's chances, but its worth a try.

Wont help.  I was working the night the winter session opened up for registration and made sure I had my application in within 10 minutes of the first day!....still received the rejection email.

From the CM:

Learning & Professional Development (6 pts)

Post Secondary Education:  1 point for any indivudual course with value to CF (at current year), 2 points if completed diploma ( College,Cegep), 3 points if completed degree ( University).

Career Dev.// Professional Dev.// OPME:  1-3 points for any course in the current rank that is of benefit to the CF but not to include mandatory crses. Ie QL,ILQ. 1 pt per course to a max of 3 pts.

http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/dli-dai/dmasc-dascm/index-eng.asp

There is a Diploma in Military Arts and Science which is aimed at NCMs.

OPME registration for Summer is open now. I "flicked the switch" myself this morning at 0815

Info on the program and registration proceedures can be found here: http://www.opme.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp

OPME Registration process summary:
http://www.opme.forces.gc.ca/pro-ser/reg-enr/ep-pe-eng.asp

(Note: If the OPME portal will not open for you, contact DCS right away. They have some steps you can follow to try to fix it, and if that doesn't work they can help you with alternate registration)

1) Go to the OPME portal on the DWAN and enroll in OPME
2) Wait for an email with your OPME Student Number (P#) or contact DCS http://www.opme.forces.gc.ca/cu-cn/index-eng.asp
3) Once you have your P#, go back to the OPME Portal on the DWAN and login with the P# and the password you chose earlier.
4) Make sure your contact info is correct and your email address is accurate.
5) Register for your courses (This puts you in the queue for processing by priority)

Important Dates:
http://www.opme.forces.gc.ca/pro-ser/adm/dat-eng.asp

MOST registrations are not processed until after registration closes.  (15 April)
Once registrations are processed you will get an email stating whether or not you have been accepted in the course.
**if your email changes between your registration and the close date you MUST update it on the portal or you will not receive the email!

Sometime between the course registration close date and 1 week before the course starts you will be loaded into DNDLearn. At that time you will get an email from DNDLearn with your DNDLearn username (DL######) and password. If you already have a DNDLearn account and it has been deactivated due to inactivity you can email the helpdesk at CDA.DNDLearnTeam@forces.gc.ca and ask to have it reactivated.

OPME courses MAY NOT appear in your DNDLearn course list on your homepage until the course start date. (2 May)

If you have any questions on anything please contact RMC-DCS.

Just to clarify, Merit Criterias (MC) are different from one occupation to the next.  This is why some get points for OPMEs (forever) and others do not.  DMILC has nothing to do with the drafting of those MCs other they issuing a yearly message stating the arcs of fire (60% performance and 40% potential).  It is the occupation's responsibility to review and update the existing MCs and forward them to the CM prior to the start of the merit boards.  Usually there not much that can be done for the performance part but there room to play with the 40%.  For example, this past year the CE trades put more emphasis on PD (OPMEs, university courses, civilian trade tickets) and diversity (postings with different elements).

muffin said:
2) Wait for an email with your OPME Student Number (P#) or contact DCS http://www.opme.forces.gc.ca/cu-cn/index-eng.asp
Can anyone ballpark how long this step takes?

Rheostatic said:
Never mind. Didn't get an email, but after step 1, you can log in and select "forgot my student number", and the portal will tell you your student number.

Rheostatic said:

Never mind. Didn't get an email, but after step 1, you can log in and select "forgot my student number", and the portal will tell you your student number.

The "automation" of this is broken... I will have to send them manually. I will try to do them as often and quickly as I can ... They processes enrolment requests as soon as they see them so the "forgot my student number" method you describe above will undoubtedly be faster.

There is issues with the DWAN firewall and sending emails - at one time they only sent to @forces accounts, and another time they only sent to external accounts. Currently they do not send at all.  :blotto:

I cannot wait until we replace this system...

muffin said:
I will have to send them manually. I will try to do them as often and quickly as I can ...

The queue to date has been sent - 312 emails on their way.

Rmc sent out an update notice concerning OPME course packages starting Summer 2011.

The Division of Continuing Studies (DCS) will introduce significant changes to the way it distributes course materials, starting with the Summer 2011 session.

The mailing of course materials for Distance Education courses for which the course material is available electronically will cease starting in the Summer 2011 Term. Until now, even if the material was available on the Web, we mailed a copy of some, if not all, of the course materials to each student and each instructor. Students and instructors will have to download the course material.

More info here:
http://www.opme.forces.gc.ca/new-nou/index-eng.asp

Thanks for the update. Now the wait for 2 Apr to see who was successful in their applications.

agc said:
http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/dli-dai/dmasc-dascm/index-eng.asp

There is a Diploma in Military Arts and Science which is aimed at NCMs.

I am currently working on this program.  I have been approved for it through an ILP.  The program includes 3 of the university level OPMEs.  I had applied a couple of times through the OPME portal for them and kept getting rejected.  I brought this up with my BPSO who determined that I could apply as an visiting student at RMC (as Muffin mentioned earlier in this thread) and pay for the courses, then get reimbursed. 

I currently only have a high school diploma and was unsure what I wanted to continue my education with.  I made the decision for this program and I highly recommend it for anyone else looking to increase their PD and have the added bonus of some OPMEs.

If anyone wants to get the OPME equivalent courses through RMC (Division of Continuing Studies only) and would like to work at a degree while you're at it, you could also consider the Bachelor of Military Arts and Sciences (BMASc). This 30 credit degree program was built around the courses needed for or equivalent to those of the OPME program.

http://www.rmc.ca/aca/ac-pe/ug-apc/dcs-dep/ap-pu-eng.asp#BMASc

airmich said:
I am currently working on this program.  I have been approved for it through an ILP.  The program includes 3 of the university level OPMEs.  I had applied a couple of times through the OPME portal for them and kept getting rejected.  I brought this up with my BPSO who determined that I could apply as an visiting student at RMC (as Muffin mentioned earlier in this thread) and pay for the courses, then get reimbursed. 

I currently only have a high school diploma and was unsure what I wanted to continue my education with.  I made the decision for this program and I highly recommend it for anyone else looking to increase their PD and have the added bonus of some OPMEs.

I second this. I am currently completing the program through the Naval onsite in Halifax since being rejected from the distance learning a number of times. Being out of high school so long and doing university level courses was daunting at times, but I highly recommend it to continue your PD.

JMesh said:
If anyone wants to get the OPME equivalent courses through RMC (Division of Continuing Studies only) and would like to work at a degree while you're at it, you could also consider the Bachelor of Military Arts and Sciences (BMASc). This 30 credit degree program was built around the courses needed for or equivalent to those of the OPME program.

http://www.rmc.ca/aca/ac-pe/ug-apc/dcs-dep/ap-pu-eng.asp#BMASc

I just enrolled in this after being shut down for three semesters on the remaining OPME's I have not completed. I think it is a bonus that I can work towards the degree and concurrently kill my OPME's. Registration was easy, cost $50; OPME courses cost $395.00 up front. I have submitted an ILP (which is done on line) and it is in review and currently pending (I do not expect any problems). I wish I would have known about this route earlier; I credit this forum and it's participants for bringing it to my attention. I have told several of my peers about the process and some are interested and intend to apply.

I just received a email saying that CMS has secured 300 spaces in each of  DCE 001 and DCE 002 OPMEs DL, open to NCMs of any rank, Regular or Reserve Force. Once all registrations are received the loading priority is:
1. NCMs Navy employed within CMS;
2. NCMs Navy employed outside CMS; and
3. Other NCMs

Good news for some people waiting for the course.

PuckChaser said:
If you're Navy, that is.

Thats true I guess. I personally think everyone should be able to do a online course. Its not rocket science.

Chief Stoker said:
I just received a email saying that CMS has secured 300 spaces in each of  DCE 001 and DCE 002 OPMEs DL, open to NCMs of any rank, Regular or Reserve Force. Once all registrations are received the loading priority is:
1. NCMs Navy employed within CMS;
2. NCMs Navy employed outside CMS; and
3. Other NCMs

Good news for some people waiting for the course.

I just confirmed some details about these course spots:

These additional spots were requested by the navy and will NOT be course loaded from the regular waiting list. If you would like to be considered for these additional spots, you must forward your info to the Navy DMTE OPME coordinator. If you registered for an OPME through the OPME portal your name will NOT be considered for these extra spaces.

** additional info added **
The email is n-opme.pempo-m@forces.gc.ca

Ah, if they're additional spaces that makes more sense. Good on the Navy for getting extra spots for its pers, I definitely agree with Chief Stoker that everyone should do one of these online courses, I've been waiting for Intro to Military Law for months.

Muffin: Are you going to post when the system goes live for applications again? I believe summer semester is 1 June, correct?

Back