• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OPME Rejection Notices

How many members have received a notice of rejection while applying for an OPME in the last year.

• yes, I'm an officer.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • no, I'm an officer.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • yes, I'm an NCM/SNCO.

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • no, I'm an NCM/SNCO.

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

REDinstaller

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm curious about this. 2 of my peers have received these letters, due to officers needing the courses more than NCMs/SNCOs.

Been trying to do the HIE 208 online for the last 3 years, each time a email rejection. I'm doing them now through the Navy on site program.

I think thats going to be the only way for a while. I only have one left CF and international relations. I hope i can get in online, if not then a local course.

Since the courses moved to RMC, they've become increasingly harder to get as an NCM. I did two of them as OPDPs, and now realize that I should have done them all then. It's unlikely that at my current rank (NavRes NCM) I'll get to finish the programme.

My wife worked at the DL cell at RMC in 2003. She was told the officers priority was over, first come first enroled. Guess thats changed again.

I notice on the OPME site that the summer term opens for registration on 1 Feb 11. I don't know if applying on that very day will increase one's chances, but its worth a try.

The earlier the better. Then you get to be high on the list. She also said that its possible to pay to complete courses as well. I don't know how current that info is.

The on site course that i'm currently on , has a mix of senior NCM's, junior NCM's, officers etc. NCM's should have the avenue for professional development than the current OPME program, perhaps through DND learn.

DND Learn for OPMEs is loaded through the OPME web portal. The only way NCMs will be able to take OPMEs if the current events continue is through localy run in house courses.

Tango18A said:
DND Learn for OPMEs is loaded through the OPME web portal. The only way NCMs will be able to take OPMEs if the current events continue is through localy run in house courses.

Which will be virtually impossible if you're a ResF NCM.

Last session I registered at 0800 (Mountain Time) on the first day of the registration period and still got rejected.  I will try again 1 Feb and hopefully get accepted.  What I was told to do is forward the rejection letters up to your chain of command so that they know that you have tried to do them.

ModlrMike said:
Since the courses moved to RMC, they've become increasingly harder to get as an NCM.

In all fairness, there has been a significant increase in the number of officers needing to do them. We recruited alot since then.

dangerboy said:
Last session I registered at 0800 (Mountain Time) on the first day of the registration period and still got rejected.  I will try again 1 Feb and hopefully get accepted.  What I was told to do is forward the rejection letters up to your chain of command so that they know that you have tried to do them.

That's fine the CoC knows, but it does squat for your file once it gets to the Merit Board. The only points awarded are for successful completion.

I send the rejection letters ... Please allow me to clarify a few points.

OPME is still Officer Priority. It is the OFFICER Professional Military Education Programme. It's Officer DP2. NCM's were allowed to fill in the extra spots on a first come-first serve basis if there are extra spots.
With the Strategic Review and budget cuts of the last year or so, the spaces on OPME's have been cut considerably. In the last 2 terms NO NCM's that I am aware of have been given spots on anything except perhaps a few on DCE001 and DCE002.
There were literally more than 2000 NCM registration requests rejected each term.
The OPME program was never intended for NCMs - and I know the CM's have been pushing everyone to do them for merit points - CDA is looking at this. Both the OPME and NCMPD programs have been reviewed by CDA within the last year and are being revised, though I do not know at this time what their plan is for either.

The alternative to taking the courses through the OPME program, is to register as "Interest Only" students with DCS at RMC ($50 application fee) and pay for the courses and texts up front. Once you have finished the courses sucessfully you can claim the costs through education reimbursement (make sure the courses are on your ILP!) you can then have the courses directly PLAR'd to OPME. (This may even be automatic now... I am not certian).

If you have any specific questions I can do my best to answer them, or direct you to the person who would have the answer.

Thanks for the information, that clears up a lot!

I will continue to the be thankful i completed the OPME program a couple of years ago.........

Muffin,

The DL for ILQ, ALQ and the CQ all state that OPME's will be considered to be PLAR'd to write off the DL. So that must be why the CMs stress completing them so much. And it's also some of the easiest NCMPD to come by. Not with regards to content, but to availability of locations that it can be done in.

What a change that is. And now with Treasury Board looking for more SLT, that avenue will become more difficult too.

Folks will have to get more imaginative. There are other avenues of PD out there. There always the option of taking university ( if one doe not already have such education) or other continuing education. The OPMEs are not the be-all-end-all of NCM PD.

Back when i was still in the Army, i took another course designed for officers, the Intermediate tactics Course part 1. I dont know if that, or something similar, is still available.

After i was done with OPME, i needed something else for PD and PER fodder, so i registered for Air Force Officer Development Program. Its sort of like an AF-specific add-on to the OPME. I hav completed the block 2 course and almost done block 3. The deal is still the same, officers have priority (as it is manditory for them) and there is usualy a 1-serial or 2 worth of waiting list. I am currently one of very few NCMs in the program.

Back