• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

One way to deal with illegal parking in handicapped spots?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared for fair use only.....
A Disability Council in a Swedish town is lobbying to get “Laziness is not a disability” added to parking signs. If approved, the reminder would appear below disabled parking signs in Nordmaling, northern Sweden.

“People don’t respect disabled parking signs,” Margareta Gustavsson, member of the Disability Council (handikapprådet), told the Västerbottens Kuriren newspaper.

One such sign has already been erected at the town’s community centre, but now the group wants them extended across the town. Gustavsson says similar signs in other parts of Sweden have proved to be an effective deterrent.

However, Sune Höglander, the town’s community development officer, does not think such measures would be appropriate.

“It’s just a fun thing they’ve [handikapprådet] got for themselves, but I don’t think that those kinds of road signs will be found in our catalogue. Signs must be accurate, factual, and not emotive,” he said, adding that Nordmaling does not have a particular problem with “lazy drivers” stealing disabled parking spaces.
Ice News, 5 May 12

Laziness may not be a disability but in some cases, stupidity is.  Does that give them the right to park in a handicapped spot?  IMHO, handicapped spots are for people with a physical disability that prevents ease of movement.

But then again, with the "Pregnant" and the "Family" parking spots, we are allowing laziness to become a disability.....  ::)

My favourite "Text from Last Night" - "Parked in the expectant mother's parking spot at Walgreens to buy some Plan B".

PMedMoe said:
But then again, with the "Pregnant" and the "Family" parking spots, we are allowing laziness to become a disability.....  ::)

I dunno, I hear pregnancy can get in the way of walking long distances, esp. in the late stages or in the winter when most parking lots around here are like a skating rink.  I know, put on the metal cleats and soldier on, right?  ::)

I'm of two minds about the original story.  Most people don't seem to appreciate it when civic authorities get snarky, even when justified.  I don't think it'd fly here. 

bridges said:
Most people don't seem to appreciate it when civic authorities get snarky, even when justified.  I don't think it'd fly here.

Tough. Maybe some more snarkiness is what our politically correct entitled population needs.

bridges said:
I dunno, I hear pregnancy can get in the way of walking long distances, esp. in the late stages or in the winter when most parking lots around here are like a skating rink.

If they have a medical condition, they could be issued a temporary permit.  They never seem to have a problem strolling around the mall though.

It is my personal (and ruthless) opinion that if someone uses a handicapped spot, then they should be handicapped, regardless of whether they were before they parked their car there.

PMedMoe said:
<snip>..  They never seem to have a problem strolling around the mall though.

And there we have it.

Someone may be incapable of walking 80 meters to the store entrance, but can somewhere, somehow, summon the intestinal fortitude, and find the strength to walk the mall for three hours?!?!?

That kind of abuse burns me up.

(If anyone can explain to me how that one works, I'm all ears, because it mystifies me).

I witnessed a cop enter a coffee shop once and loudly announce that someone was parked in a handicapped spot without the tags and that he'd be calling for the tow truck immediately unless this person moved.

I have no doubt that the lady involved likely left her coffee to get cold and also never did such a thing again.

He'd probably get fired today though

Walter: My wife and I couldn't find any place to park anywhere near this stinkin' joint. And some jerk pulled up in a brand new Mercedes and pulled right into the handicap spot. He got out of the car and there was nothin' wrong with him, don't you hate that? So I ran his ass over. I made an honest man out of him! And his mother got out of the other side and started swinging her crutches at me -- took her out with the door.

Jeff Dunham: Don't you feel kinda bad?

Walter: Ah hell, they can carpool.

Video Link

Scott said:
I witnessed a cop enter a coffee shop once and loudly announce that someone was parked in a handicapped spot without the tags and that he'd be calling for the tow truck immediately unless this person moved.

I have no doubt that the lady involved likely left her coffee to get cold and also never did such a thing again.

He'd probably get fired today though
I would hope a cop doing that would be commended for public education - giving someone a chance to fix rather than just jump aboard.

milnews.ca said:
I would hope a cop doing that would be commended for public education - giving someone a chance to fix rather than just jump aboard.

I bought the man a coffee.

One could really make a public spectacle of them by accidentally on purpose letting air out of  a tire so that they'd have to dig out the spare and change it...just to let people see their face and how "handicapped" they really are. 

MM

medicineman said:
One could really make a public spectacle of them by accidentally on purpose letting air out of  a tire so that they'd have to dig out the spare and change it...just to let people see their face and how "handicapped" they really are. 

MM

You devious so and so.....keep that up and I may get to like you.  ;)

medicineman said:

MM

I was hoping to be taken up on my offer to ram it out of the way with the firetruck I was in.......the fellas knew it and you could almost see a look of disappointment when the lady took off to move her car.

I remember once seeing people parked in a handicapped spot at Tim Horton's in Petawawa.  When they got out of the car, I remarked (in my outside voice  ;)) that I supposed mental handicaps must count too.  Funny, they were both CF officers......  >:D

I drove my 75 year old mother to Canadian Tire in Cornwall, ON one day a few years back.  As we were walking in, a big 4X4 with New York plates and an equally huge native driver pulled into the handicap spot closest to the doors.  The driver gets out and starts striding in to the store, cutting in front of mom.  Without missing a step, mom looks at the driver and says "nice to see you're feeling better, son".  He stops dead in his tracks, turns to face us and mom smiles at him with her sarcastic little Irish grin that says "don't f*ck with me".  He went out and moved his truck.

Good for your mom for standing up. Good on her. That made my day reading that.

Back