• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On Political Correctness

Brihard said:
I think it’s more a matter of concern that the president of the world’s largest economy apparently can not grasp the difference between a customs duty and a trade tariff.
The same guy who sited the war of 1812 as a reason for Canada being a security risk.

There comes a point where one simply no longer listens to the nonsense.

The majority of politicians and Ministers have very little clue as to what they are talking about, most is based on a 3 page briefing note. DT is staying on his message and the reality for Canadians is that our trade protections and supply management systems drive up product cost significantly. The rule of thumb I have seen my friends price imported goods is 4x wholesale to cover costs.

Colin P said:
The majority of politicians and Ministers have very little clue as to what they are talking about, most is based on a 3 page briefing note. DT is staying on his message and the reality for Canadians is that our trade protections and supply management systems drive up product cost significantly. The rule of thumb I have seen my friends price imported goods is 4x wholesale to cover costs.
What difference would it make really?

If we got rid of supply management, we would put in a dairy tax, and give dairy farmers the proceeds. This would be the only way to compete with american subsidies.

Price of milk wouldn't drop, even on imported stuff, and the dairy farmers would still benefit, and at the end of the day, nothing changes.

Brihard said:
I think it’s more a matter of concern that the president of the world’s largest economy apparently can not grasp the difference between a customs duty and a trade tariff.

Or grtasp that Canadians are actually looking to avoid both - paying the tariff that is on some items bought in Canada and the customs duty if it was declared at the border. 

still funny how Canadians got all in a huff over being called out for something that actually does happen regardless of the mis-used term for it.

Best part is that the comment is in support of Canada raising the duty free amounts we are able to bring in to the country so that people will be less inclined to do the scuffing and keep their sneakers pristine.  Of course his real goal is to encourage more shopping in the states by us spend thrifty canucks.

Altair said:
There comes a point where one simply no longer listens to the nonsense.

Seems to me like people are hanging off his ever word.

Jarnhamar said:
Seems to me like people are hanging off his ever word.

Because, like driving by an accident on the highway, it's hard to look away.  ;D

To me the problem was simple.Catch the illegals and send them back immediately.Make sure the wall is built which would make attempts harder.

tomahawk6 said:
To me the problem was simple.Catch the illegals and send them back immediately.Make sure the wall is built which would make attempts harder.
with families intact hopefully.

The cartels are gaming the system to bring drugs into the country.The Obama era program was called catch and release.Or just bus them to Canada.  :D

William Shatner delivers an epic takedown to political correctness:

Attachments

• william_shatner_money_7-22-18-1-648x800.jpg
    william_shatner_money_7-22-18-1-648x800.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 372
Colin P said:
I am loving the faux outrage about the shoe smuggling, seems suddenly, no one knows anyone that has smuggled everyday stuff across the border.

Next time I'm in the US, I will be enquiring about shoe-scuffing stations in the outlet malls.

The tire place I use in the States scuffs your new tires and removes the nubs for free without even asking.

recceguy said:
The tire place I use in the States scuffs your new tires and removes the nubs for free without even asking.

I heard of a place in the US that used to call Canada Customs and inform them after customers had left.  I'm not sure how much repeat business they got from Canadian customers.

Pusser said:
I heard of a place in the US that used to call Canada Customs and inform them after customers had left.  I'm not sure how much repeat business they got from Canadian customers scofflaws and tax cheats who are avoiding paying a legally required customs tax.

Fixed that for you.  I guess the rule of law only applies in other countries.

:facepalm:

Come on PPCLI Guy. You are a man of the world. You must know by now that there are millions of Canadians who view it as their God given right to criticize America and Americans...and then go cross border shopping for cheap milk, gasoline or clothes.

It is as old as time....

PPCLI Guy said:
Fixed that for you.  I guess the rule of law only applies in other countries.

:facepalm:

I think your venom is misguided because I actually agree with you.  I have never understood the folks who make special trips to the US strictly for shopping.  I can't see how there are any real savings to be had after you've figured in the exchange rate, cost of accommodations, cost of transportation, time, etc.  Furthermore, considering that one can claim $800 duty free to start (after 48 hrs absence) and then a special duty rate after that, I just can't see how it's worth it to lie to a Customs officer and risk huge fines and duties or forfeiture.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure it's up to a private business in the US to take it upon themselves to report someone, without any evidence they will commit a crime, to the Canadian Border Services Agency.  Just because a Canadian spent a lot of money in a US shop, does not mean they aren't going to declare it properly.  What if the person who had patronized that shop was preparing to declare everything and had all the receipts ready, but had his vehicle ripped apart in secondary inspection based on a helpful tip from a US business?  I certainly wouldn't go back to that business, nor would I recommend it to my friends based on the fact that:

1) they caused me undue hassle at the border for no good reason; and

2) they obviously have no respect for me (the customer) in automatically assuming I am a criminal.

Not sure that was venom - those that know me would suggest my venom is a bit stronger...

It was not aimed at businesses.  It was aimed at Canadians who think it is okay to cheat / avoid customs taxes.  Those people are committing an illegal act.  Period.  No amount of justification can alter that fact.

PPCLI Guy said:
Not sure that was venom - those that know me would suggest my venom is a bit stronger...

It was not aimed at businesses.  It was aimed at Canadians who think it is okay to cheat / avoid customs taxes.  Those people are committing an illegal act.  Period.  No amount of justification can alter that fact.

I was just impressed at someone casually using the term 'scoff laws' in a conversation outside of the Simpson's
#Montgomeryburnsbustsscofflaws :) 

Pusser said:
I think your venom is misguided because I actually agree with you.  I have never understood the folks who make special trips to the US strictly for shopping.  I can't see how there are any real savings to be had after you've figured in the exchange rate, cost of accommodations, cost of transportation, time, etc.  Furthermore, considering that one can claim $800 duty free to start (after 48 hrs absence) and then a special duty rate after that, I just can't see how it's worth it to lie to a Customs officer and risk huge fines and duties or forfeiture.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure it's up to a private business in the US to take it upon themselves to report someone, without any evidence they will commit a crime, to the Canadian Border Services Agency.  Just because a Canadian spent a lot of money in a US shop, does not mean they aren't going to declare it properly.  What if the person who had patronized that shop was preparing to declare everything and had all the receipts ready, but had his vehicle ripped apart in secondary inspection based on a helpful tip from a US business?  I certainly wouldn't go back to that business, nor would I recommend it to my friends based on the fact that:

1) they caused me undue hassle at the border for no good reason; and

2) they obviously have no respect for me (the customer) in automatically assuming I am a criminal.

I live in a border city. I shop in the States all the time. Your trip is what you make it. There are tons of deals to be had, if you know how to do it. Even after exchange and duty. Things like electronics are mostly duty free, but not tax free.

I've been hearing rumours of retailers in the states reporting Canadians ever since I was a kid. There has never been a case of proof, as far as I know, that anyone actually did this. Just a boogeyman story. It's more likely the jealous neighbor, that he told the whole story to, that turned him in. I just don't buy the story after all these years. Besides, unless you tell them or they see your license plate, they have no idea that you're Canadian, or when and where you intend to cross the border. Or that anyone in the Canadian government works hard enough to get that phone call from the states and pass it through all the channels and get it to the border before the person re-enters Canada. Just think about the logistics of such a call.

There are plenty of deals to be had, without breaking the law. However, that's your business. Thousands do it daily. At the same time, there are thousands that just aren't asked the right questions. If I answer all questions truthfully and don't get sent to secondary, I might still be bringing in goods not accounted for but border services is letting me go.  The border service employs two types of guards. Some are sheepdogs that protect our border, as they are employed to do, others are merely tax collectors for the feds. It's luck of the draw as to which one you get.

It does seem counter productive for American retailers to report Canadian shoppers.  If it actually happens one would think that it would affect sales.

I do have one real example where a CAF soldier in Fort Knox (one of our concentrations years ago) bought a taser.  The retailer had no issues selling it to him but he then reported the guy to the base who informed the CoC about it.  Delayed our flight out as they searched all our bags and weapons bags as well (the thought was he could get it out via our weapons bags).  They never found the taser.  The fact is that the dealer likely did the right thing knowing the troop was going to commit a  criminal act by bringing in a prohibited weapon but had no grounds to refuse the sale as it is legal there.

Failure to declare everything you buy or conveniently forgetting a few things to stay under your limit is fairly minor by comparison though.

I rarely go too much over when shopping in  the US and most of the time it isn't worth processing the small amount I go over by.

Back