• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

Gramps said:
Yes I have. Although they are nice Pelican cases they are completely impractical for UAB. The weight is one issue that has already been mentioned and their size is ridiculous. Far too big and far too bulky for UAB as far as I am concerned. What was wrong with our standard Barrack Boxes? I have travelled with them many many times both as Accompanied and Unaccompanied baggage and not once did I have a problem with them.

Pelican cases cost within pennies of the old ones, but came with a 25 year or lifetime warranty, no more up keep costs other than shipping the damaged one back and receiving the replacement box

Gramps said:
Yes I have. Although they are nice Pelican cases they are completely impractical for UAB. The weight is one issue that has already been mentioned and their size is ridiculous. Far too big and far too bulky for UAB as far as I am concerned. What was wrong with our standard Barrack Boxes? I have travelled with them many many times both as Accompanied and Unaccompanied baggage and not once did I have a problem with them.

They come in a wide variety of sizes.

I have also been issued two of the new boxes. I am not in movements or anything and so have no real issues with size, as far as using it as UAB is concerned. Where size becomes and issue is transporting them anywhere. Unless you have a truck or SUV you can basically only move 1 box at a time. I drive a Mazda 3, and can only fit one in the back seat, and the box is to big to fit in my trunk. Pain in the ass! I like that the boxes have wheels, and yes, although they are heavy I had no issues getting both my boxes within weight limits. In fact nobody in our platoon had any real issues (i.e. having to repack and leave stuff behind). Pelican is great, not only are the new cases more durable than the old barrack boxes, they will increase the life of whatever is in them, particularly electronics, as they are dust proof.

mover1 said:
We got a directive NOT to allow them on Service Air.
Too heavy to lift, too bulky to pack, empty weight of it takes up over half of your baggage entitlement (30 out of 70 Lbs). Someone didn't do a lot of thinking when they approved of it.
AS for the new ruck. From what I have seen they look like they will pack in an LD3 or a pallet much easier than the old rucks. Thank goodness I am in a position that I will probably never be issued one!  ;D

PhilB said:
I have also been issued two of the new boxes. I am not in movements or anything and so have no real issues with size, as far as using it as UAB is concerned. Where size becomes and issue is transporting them anywhere. Unless you have a truck or SUV you can basically only move 1 box at a time. I drive a Mazda 3, and can only fit one in the back seat, and the box is to big to fit in my trunk. Pain in the ***! I like that the boxes have wheels, and yes, although they are heavy I had no issues getting both my boxes within weight limits. In fact nobody in our platoon had any real issues (i.e. having to repack and leave stuff behind). Pelican is great, not only are the new cases more durable than the old barrack boxes, they will increase the life of whatever is in them, particularly electronics, as they are dust proof.

So what's the scoop here?  Are the guys heading overseas being told that they cannot use the new barracks boxes (the Pelican cases)?  A discrepency such as this could cause some major headaches for those heading overseas.

The boxes are just huge to get around. Most i think like myself have packed them over a month ago and are in transport to the box sometime in the future.I didn't like the idea of packing all my sh** almost 2 months ago.I have nothing in them except books.They will be handy for over there a lot of storage and dust free.They are heavy empty so I can see the weight problem for planes you pretty much have to watch what you pack cause it can add up pretty quick for the weight you are aloud.

Matt,

The new boxes (they are officially called MOB's I believe) can only be used for UAB. They are not authorized to be used as accompanied baggage on service air flights.

Just came off of a week long winter Ex where around 8 guys in my Pl (including me) had the new ruck.  Our overall opinion is that we had wished we used our 64 pattern rucks on the Ex.  For me I found that I could not wear the waist belt properly over my Tac Vest and parka, so the whole idea of transferring the weight from my shoulders to hips I could not do.  All of us found that the shoulder straps were very uncomfortable to wear we believe that as it was -38 most of the time the cold weather prevented the straps from bending properly.  Using the new ruck in winter time does take some adjustment to your way of operating.  I am use to living out of my valise on winter Ex, with the new compression sac you can not do that. I had 1 part CF sleeping bag, CF ranger blanket, arctic slippers, sleeping bag hood and bivi bag with this equipment I found it hard to put it all in the sac and put the sac in the compartment in the ruck.  If I wanted any other stuff I had to get it out of my main compartment, not that there is anything wrong with that it will just take some adjustment on my part (maybe I am a dinosaur)

Before anyone thinks I am just bashing the new ruck, it did have lots of room in the main compartment and I had no problem using the buckles in the cold while wearing gloves unlike the tac vest.

And yes I filled out a UCR on the Ruck and have given them to the other members of the Pl and Monday morning they are being turned into the Coy 2IC.

dangerboy said:
And yes I filled out a UCR on the Ruck and have given them to the other members of the Pl and Monday morning they are being turned into the Coy 2IC.

Perfect. Good on you.

dangerboy said:
Just came off of a week long winter Ex where around 8 guys in my Pl (including me) had the new ruck.  Our overall opinion is that we had wished we used our 64 pattern rucks on the Ex.  For me I found that I could not wear the waist belt properly over my Tac Vest and parka, so the whole idea of transferring the weight from my shoulders to hips I could not do.  All of us found that the shoulder straps were very uncomfortable to wear we believe that as it was -38 most of the time the cold weather prevented the straps from bending properly.  Using the new ruck in winter time does take some adjustment to your way of operating.  I am use to living out of my valise on winter Ex, with the new compression sac you can not do that. I had 1 part CF sleeping bag, CF ranger blanket, arctic slippers, sleeping bag hood and bivi bag with this equipment I found it hard to put it all in the sac and put the sac in the compartment in the ruck.  If I wanted any other stuff I had to get it out of my main compartment, not that there is anything wrong with that it will just take some adjustment on my part (maybe I am a dinosaur)

Before anyone thinks I am just bashing the new ruck, it did have lots of room in the main compartment and I had no problem using the buckles in the cold while wearing gloves unlike the tac vest.

Where was the discomfort on the shoulder straps?  Behind the shoulder?  On top, or on the front?  SHoot me your problem and I may be able to sort it for you.

I would like to see someone that has used other rucks of similar design (Kifaru EMR, Camelback/MysteryRanch, Arc'teryx, etc) do a review of the new ruck... anyone? Bueller?

I just had a thought.....and I know some of you will think it died of lonliness.

Were any of you involved in the trials? Was it ever trialled in the winter, with troops (infantry, who live out of rucks in winter)?

Also, what is the consensus on the tac vest in winter? Yes? No? Mission dependent?

Opinions please, with reasons! Thank you!!

dangerboy said:
For me I found that I could not wear the waist belt properly over my Tac Vest and parka,

Yes, I recall seeing you lads (in the compound), why were the guys wearing their Tac Vests?, every time I've deployed on winter ops we have put our mags in the inside pockets of our parka, slung our themoses and had our resporators (out of the carrying case) slung around our necks on the inside of the parka's.

Has doctrine changed?

Cheers.

Cataract Kid said:
.............and had our resporators (out of the carrying case) slung around our necks on the inside of the parka's.

Has doctrine changed?

Cheers.

Why did you even have respirators?  There is little to no use for them in arctic/extreme cold conditions.  They freeze to your face.  Gas is fairly well ineffective in frigid temperatures.  So why the Gas Masks?

George, I can assure you that I agree with you %100, although the only times that we had them were: TQ3 and certain times while in Bn while on Exwhen there was an imminent threat of NBC (read CS gas) attack.

Normally, they would have been carried in the top portion of the ruck.

Its A Coy.  What do you expect.
They were wearing helmets too during times when the threat was not imminent.

Good response troops!!

I question the need for the tac vest in winter. I find it could be restrictive, and in winter we all know the code word COLD right?

Anyone that doesn't, I can remind you if you wish!!
C - Clean Clothing
O - avoid Overheating
L - Loose layered clothing......
D - Dry clothing
In the 90's we still had people isnisting we wear web gear in the winter, it appears those folks are still around.
The respirator should not be carried in the winter. It should be be held either in the ruck or with the CQMS, depending on the NBC threat.

The reason we wore Tac Vests is twofold: 1. The OC ordered it, and 2. more importantly you can not carry the stuff in your pockets anymore.  For example our C9 gunners had 3x boxes you would not be able to fit them in your parka pockets very comfortably.  We also had smoke grenades and 150 rounds etra  C7 ammo.  It just becomes a lot easer wearing a Tac Vest instead of fumbling around in your pockets.  Plus I know for my self I keep in my parka pocket a set of Mitts for when it is to cold for gloves.

Just as a point of clarification... although what has been said is true of CS....

Chemical agents and radiological contamination are indeed a concern even in cold weather.  While it is true that the C4 NBC Mask is less than ideal in temperatures less than -20C, and that vapour or aerosol chemical agent deployment is unfavorable at temperatures below 4.4C - chemical agents are still a concern.  For instance, if an enemy wants to contaminate ground a liquid attack is more favorable when the temperatures are low (especially when the surface temperature is just above the freezing point of the liquid agent - which can easily be lower than 0C as you will see).  You cannot think of chemcial agents having the properties of water.  

For instance some nerve and choking agents have a freezing point of a low as -40 C to -60C.  Not only is there a risk from liquid contamination vapourizing (as some will vapourize as low as -40C) there is a real risk of frozen and unvapourized droplets of liquid chemical agents thawing and then vaporizing when contacting warm skin or when carried into heated vehicles or shelters on clothing and equipment.

Remember when you think temperature do not think ambient air temperature, or temperature with wind chill, but the temperature of the contact surface the agent is sitting on (that could be your parka).  Even in cold, cold weather the outside of the parka is much warmer than the surrounding air due to body heat leaking out and agent will vapourize / stay in liquid and dangerous.  

Radioactive dust is also a concern, and is not temperature sensitive.

If there was any risk of NBC deployment I would keep my mask handy, even if I had to hope I got a seal under -20C.

Food for thought...

MC

Back