• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

I think you meant or should have posted this in another thread as this is kinda dedicated to the ruck.

Mortarman RockPainter:

As a CSM I don't waste my time thinking of how to fill up the troops ruksacks. In fact, I discuss the kit that troops need with their Snr NCO's, and WE come up with a list. We endeavor to LIGHTEN the load, rather than fill up our rucks with useless sh!t.
I personally like to leave room for ammo, rats and water, not fill up the space with Boots, Gumby Rubber.

Yes, but there were/are enough of your predecessors and peers who work(ed) damned hard to earn you that stereotype...

I'm going to have to side with Loachman on this one.  Some of the kit lists I've seen put out by RSM/CSM types amaze me.  That being said, I fortunately have a CSM working for me that also has better things to do than fill up rucks with kit.

Yes, well, there are good guys and not so good guys in every trade, specialty, environment, corps, branch, regiment, rank etcetera.

For every one who employs logic, experience, common sense, and thought there is another who varies from complete slug to somebody trying to do the best that they can with little imagination or knowledge to go on.

I just had to get my gentle dig in, though.

You are both right, however, you must remember that I'm enlightened....somewhat. The priority is mission essential kit (Ammo, water, equipment, rations) then personal kit.
Boots, Rubber Gumby  are out!!

No disagreement there whatsoever.

Such enlightenment has often been missing, however, and I've seen some rather bizarre ideas on kit lists - and some of the authors had never actually attempted to stuff so much into pouches so small either.

Loachman, I appreciate the difficulties as I've done the same.

Give me some examples of the bizarre ideas.

Thanks....

If you go on ex and troop X becomes disabled because he got frost bite because he didn't pack a sleeping bag, or failed to pack something else and s/he went down then charge them and make an example out of them.  If they suffer through the cold and complete the training then let that be a lesson to them.  People learn quicker from mistakes.  I learned that I should put a garbage bag in my kit bag in case its left out in the rain the hard way.

I learned the hard way never to pack a case of coke in your kitbag.. after buddy threw it off the MLVW and it blew up.

On a side note, buddy also learned never to "launch" people's kit off a vehicle.. not everything the army gives us it indestructible, handle people's bags as if they were yours...

OldSolduer said:
Give me some examples of the bizarre ideas.

Mostly it was just the incredible amount of minor things that added weight. I could never understand why one would need one's sewing kit during an assault, but it was in the fighting-order section on at least one kit list that I've been given. I was never able to activate the TARDIS feature of the butt pack on the 82 Pattern webbing and slide a day's rats, rainsuit, spare socks and underwear, shaving gear, boot laces (after thirty-five years in I've yet to break a pair), foot powder, sweater, and a bunch of other stuff into one.

Fortunately, we did not need IFAKs and such...

I agree Loach...some of that stuff just adds weight. SOme of the stuff I've been told to pack in my ruck have never sen the light of day.
In my company, troops were packing spare boots. That stopped. Your other boots are in the follow up kit. The ruck is meant to carry ME equipement, and if there's any room left, then personal kit ie socks, underwear, hygiene kit. There might not be enough room left for much personal stuff.

Bzzliteyr said:
I learned the hard way never to pack a case of coke in your kitbag.. after buddy threw it off the MLVW and it blew up.

On a side note, buddy also learned never to "launch" people's kit off a vehicle.. not everything the army gives us it indestructible, handle people's bags as if they were yours...

Did he learn how to handwash your laundry??

Did you get pics!!??

Loachman said:
Mostly it was just the incredible amount of minor things that added weight. I could never understand why one would need one's sewing kit during an assault, but it was in the fighting-order section on at least one kit list that I've been given. I was never able to activate the TARDIS feature of the butt pack on the 82 Pattern webbing and slide a day's rats, rainsuit, spare socks and underwear, shaving gear, boot laces (after thirty-five years in I've yet to break a pair), foot powder, sweater, and a bunch of other stuff into one.

Fortunately, we did not need IFAKs and such...

Loach ...

Those boot laces were best used to string up the hooch (that way you could leave the mounds of 550 at home to free up space).  >:D

I've had the chance to use the new ruck on a couple or ruck runs lately and as a combat PT rig, it's great.  I've always liked carrying the weight down on my hips and this ruck seems to excel at that.

As far as wearing it with FFO and on ops, as well as the quality issue, well the others here have seem to have spoken on that.  One thing that puzzles me is that how are the internal frames to fit over FFO (where it's use is most important) if it is fitted to the pers when they are bare arsed?  maybe that's been answered here... I didn't see it.

On the plus side, there seems to be a lot of gucci '64s floating around for sale from guys who seem to think they will no longer need it.  I've gotten a couple, and although I love the '64, I haven't come across a setup I want to use on the Ironman yet.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
You would have to rebend the bar frame for the PPE.
Is this explained to the pers upon issue?  Just wondering.  That seemed like the simple solution to me, but many of those i've talked to with the rucks didn't seem to understnad that.

I haven't been issued the ruck so can't speak to that.  But I do know they give you a print out of how the bars are bent (bare ass) as I have seen that and used for future reference.

ArmyVern said:
Loach ...

Those boot laces were best used to string up the hooch (that way you could leave the mounds of 550 at home to free up space).  >:D

Don't you people have hotel rooms?

Where do you put the Jacuzzi and bar fridge in a hooch?

Loachman said:
Don't you people have hotel rooms?

Where do you put the Jacuzzi and bar fridge in a hooch?

I used to have them when I was one of "you" people.  >:D

But, figured - being an insomniac and all and therefore never in bed sleeping - who needs it anyway?? What the hell ... may as well switch because I look better in green being a redhead and all that jazz.  ;)

Now ... about my turn in the simulator ...  ;D

Back