• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CDS Gen. Jonathan Vance (split fm CDS spec thread)

PanaEng

Inactive
Reaction score
LGen Vance is it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lt-gen-jonathan-vance-appointed-next-chief-of-defence-staff-1.3050238

Reporter logging in here folks.

I'm writing a column today for our Sunday papers taking a look back at Gen Lawson's time as CDS and looking ahead to Gen Vance's prospects as CDS.

Opinions about either man gratefully received You may choose to be on the record or on a "not for attribution" basis. Either way, input from those who wear a uniform would be a big help. How to reach me? Message me here, e-mail to david.akin@sunmedia.ca or cell 613 883 7412

Thanks all!

Habemus (new) CDS!
is20-2015-0001-002.jpg

‘It must stop now’: Canada’s new chief of defence staff vows to end sexual misconduct in the military
Murray Brewster, The Canadian Press | July 17, 2015 2:03 PM ET

Gen. Jonathan Vance, a combat veteran of Afghanistan and the country’s former operations commander, has been sworn in as the chief of defence staff, replacing Gen. Tom Lawson, who is retiring after almost three years in the high-profile post.

The military has been seized with the findings of a special investigation into harassment and sexual assault within the ranks and Vance used his inaugural speech to underline that inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated under his command.

(....)

“Everybody must contribute to work together to eliminate this harmful behaviour. It must stop now,” Vance said with slow determination at his swearing-in ceremony.

Vance says his first priority will be to take care of the troops, and the issue of harassment is at the top of the list.

“I do not like the idea that anybody — even a single person — would have to come to work anywhere in the Armed Forces, or even working with us, (with) that sick feeling in their stomach that they’re going to be attacked, degraded, or have their dignity stripped from them,” Vance said in an interview.

“I’m going to address that hard because I think it affects our morale. It is something I will lead very personally and very quickly.” ....

This, from the Commander-in-Chief/GG:
This is an important day for our Canadian Armed Forces.

The change of command ceremony is a key moment in our military’s history. It signals a passing of the torch from one leader to another.

Today, we bid a grateful farewell to outgoing Chief of the Defence Staff, General Thomas Lawson.

And we welcome General Jonathan Vance, Canada’s 19th Chief of the Defence Staff.

Since taking command in October 2012, General Lawson has shown leadership and dedication in a period of high operational tempo.

At a time of transition with a large number of personnel returning from Afghanistan, he has skillfully managed the command, control and administration of the Canadian Armed Forces.

He has positioned the Forces for success in the years to come.

General Lawson, I was there in 2012 when you took up this appointment, and I want to personally thank you for your service to Canada.

I wish you the very best in your future endeavours.

General Vance, I also want to thank you for your distinguished service to Canada, and for accepting this responsibility.

You have more than demonstrated your readiness for the job.

You have served our country with distinction for more than three decades, most recently as commander of the Canadian Joint Operations Command.

As you prepare to take on this new appointment, know that you are leading one of the most professional militaries in the world.

As we witness the formal transfer of authority between these two individuals, I want all of you to think about leadership.

About what it means to lead.

I know that General Lawson and General Vance have both given a lot of thought to the matter of leadership.

They understand that while leadership demands qualities such as strength, vision and integrity, it also calls for much more than that.

They know it calls for great humility, and for recognition of your utter dependence upon the people who surround you.

They understand the secret to the Canadian Armed Forces’ success: leadership at every level, with every single person in uniform.

A leader has a deep understanding of the role each person plays in an organization’s success, and unlocks the same understanding within those who surround him or her.

And what is your mission, as members of the Canadian Armed Forces?

The defence of our way of life, which was founded on freedom and the rule of law—by which I mean the constant, relentless pursuit of justice.

No matter what specific role you play, that’s what you do. That’s why we’re all here today.

General Lawson, General Vance, I thank you both for answering the call to service.
CDS bio here.

Thanks to those who responded to my call for comment. Here's the result:

A warrior for the working day: Vance takes over with high hopes

The Canadian Armed Forces, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said on Friday, “have been central to the story of our country.”

It is an arguable point but that argument is for another time and another place.

What is inarguable, though, is that only a few commanders of those armed forces have ever been central to the story of our country.

Harper likes to date the creation of Canada to the War of 1812 and, in that conflict, we have a general, Sir Isaac Brock, who gained extra notoriety for his battlefield death while defending the property of Britain against American invaders. Other historians might look back to that great duel on the Plains of Abraham when the commanders of both the British and French forces —- Wolfe and Montcalm — also died in battle.

But after Wolfe, Montcalm and Brock — what other great Canadian general might make one of the government’s “Heritage Minutes”? Sir Arthur Currie? And … ?

By contrast, the history of our great friend and southern neighbour is shot through with the exploits of generals from Washington to Eisenhower and beyond.

But in a Canada that, at least until Harper became prime minister, likes to think of itself as “the peaceable kingdom”, generals have always been encouraged — sometimes ordered by their political masters — to go about their generalling with as little fuss and public notice as possible. I suspect former prime minister Paul Martin knew he was about to break that mould when he appointed Rick Hillier, a tank commander from Newfoundland, as his top general. ....

Read the rest at http://blogs.canoe.com/davidakin/defence-2/a-warrior-for-the-working-day-vance-takes-over-with-high-hopes/

David

Good to see you back on  the net. Having said that, you have a glitch in this paragraph - two south towers:

His most notable accomplishment may be one that will be invisible to most Canadians but is an important one nonetheless: Getting military and civilian leaders at the Department of National Defence to work as one. The top general and his team work in the south tower at defence headquarters in Ottawa while the deputy minister and his team work in the south. For years, there has been noticeable tension between the “north tower” and the “south tower” with arguments over everything from media relations plans to procurement strategies. Lawson, those on the inside tell me, did much to ease those tensions and this is no small achievement.

good article, especially for those not in the military and don't know the main issues....

A good article.

Although I've only had interactions twice with the CDS I found him to be intelligent, thoughtful and a people person.

Very well written David. You've captured both the man and the road we've taken to come to this moment in time.

:cheers:

Yes, overall, a good article, David.

Could you please correct the name of General Vance's, and ny, old Regiment, though?

It is "The Royal Canadian Regiment" and "The RCR", not "the Royal Canadian Regiment" and "the RCR".

This is a common error, but it is important to get names right.

Loachman said:
Yes, overall, a good article, David.

Could you please correct the name of General Vance's, and ny, old Regiment, though?

It is "The Royal Canadian Regiment" and "The RCR", not "the Royal Canadian Regiment" and "the RCR".

This is a common error, but it is important to get names right.
Just like "The Canadian Press"  ;D

Seriously, well handled, DA.

FJAG said:
Very well written David. You've captured both the man and the road we've taken to come to this moment in time.

:ditto: Thanks, David, for that good piece; I especially like the fact that you've captured the situation in and around NDHQ, where, like it or not, Gen Vance will have to fight his battles now.

Loachman said:

Fixed. Thanks for flagging.

Great article. 

Loved the "Emperor Palpatine" photo when Gen Vance is "gesturing" during his speech.  :nod:

Dimsum said:
Loved the "Emperor Palpatine" photo when Gen Vance is "gesturing" during his speech.  :nod:

At times I wish I had better photoshop skills....  >:D

It's refreshing to read some journalism of fact and not of the writer's opinion. Thank you David, well done.

Back