• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CDS Gen. Jonathan Vance (split fm CDS spec thread)

I'm disappointed that the first issue General Vance spoke to was sexual harassment & assault in the CF and not what's going on with ISIS and the world.

To be fair, if he hadn't mentioned harassment (notice the media coverage all the new commanders got when they mentioned it), he would have been absolutely crucified. He knew that, and his speech was more for the cameras, than for the troops. I fully expect he'll have other opportunities to highlight the threat ISIS poses, and he's also on record saying ISIS is a bigger threat than Russia is in the Ukraine.

Jarnhamar said:
I'm disappointed that the first issue General Vance spoke to was sexual harassment & assault in the CF and not what's going on with ISIS and the world.

I think he defused an issue that the media and the political class considered more important than ISIS. He also set the tone for his term as a no nonsense hard ass.

Old Sweat said:
I think he defused an issue that the media and the political class considered more important than ISIS. He also set the tone for his term as a no nonsense hard ***.

Let's hope he is able to relieve those who are somewhat lacking......

It's on most if not all CO's agenda and has been for some time.  I just cleared out through the Old Man, he harangued us for 20 minutes solid about this subject and alcohol.  He has been beating everyone about the headband shoulders for some time now.  Basic tone, shape up and change with the organization or FO.

jollyjacktar said:
It's on most if not all CO's agenda and has been for some time.  I just cleared out through the Old Man, he harangued us for 20 minutes solid about this subject and alcohol.  He has been beating everyone about the headband shoulders for some time now.  Basic tone, shape up and change with the organization or FO.

The days of "he's good in the field or on ship" are gone. In fact they have been gone for sometime.

Hamish Seggie said:
The days of "he's good in the field or on ship" are gone. In fact they have been gone for sometime.

And it was even worse if the individual was turned out like a character in a recruiting commercial. Excellence at foot and arms drill could more than compensate for a shoe-sized IQ and the social skills of a drunken spider monkey.

Old Sweat said:
Excellence at foot and arms drill could more than compensate for a shoe-sized IQ and the social skills of a drunken spider monkey.

:rofl:

Old Sweat said:
And it was even worse if the individual was turned out like a character in a recruiting commercial. Excellence at foot and arms drill could more than compensate for a shoe-sized IQ and the social skills of a drunken spider monkey.

Now THAT quote is so true. I've seen some characters and not all were good ones.....

>the social skills of a drunken spider monkey.

The junior residences at university were a lot of fun, though.

PPCLI Guy said:
Last time I saw that phrase was on my PER!

Guess that's better than your potential section saying "N/A".

Old Sweat said:
Lordy, but that brings back memories.  One of the most smartly turned out NCOs in the battalion when it came to drill and deportment was picked up by the MPs (by accident no less!) for dealing pot.  Needless to say, the ensuing court-martial found the guilty bastard, er... guilty and he was no longer a soldier, let alone an NCO.  The fact that I wrote his PER a few months before he was caught still makes me cringe when I recall his high ranking among his peers - as per the RSM's decree.

Old Sweat said:
the social skills of a drunken spider monkey.

Well, the navy has taken care of the sobriety of its monkeys.  Foreign ports and the messes are rather dull afairs now so I am told.

Worked under Vance twice in Afghanistan,  the few times I dealt with him he was excellent.  Hope springs eternal, as of now no complaints on the selection...

"But Lawson’s time as top general was an undistinguished one, partly due to his own character — he was a poor communicator — but also partly due to the circumstances of the time."

"Some will say Lawson was promoted too quickly. Considered bright but not distinguished in the way it matters in most militaries, insiders say he quickly lost influence within the PMO partly because he lacked the battlefield experience of his two predecessors."

http://blogs.canoe.com/davidakin/defence-2/a-warrior-for-the-working-day-vance-takes-over-with-high-hopes/

Looking back one seriously wonders, is the RCAF by it's very nature incapable of producing an officer with the qualities required of
a strong CDS?

Baden Guy said:
"But Lawson’s time as top general was an undistinguished one, partly due to his own character — he was a poor communicator — but also partly due to the circumstances of the time."

"Some will say Lawson was promoted too quickly. Considered bright but not distinguished in the way it matters in most militaries, insiders say he quickly lost influence within the PMO partly because he lacked the battlefield experience of his two predecessors."

http://blogs.canoe.com/davidakin/defence-2/a-warrior-for-the-working-day-vance-takes-over-with-high-hopes/

Looking back one seriously wonders, is the RCAF by it's very nature incapable of producing an officer with the qualities required of
a strong CDS?

Why would you think that exactly, looking back that is?

So the last one was General Henault.  What was the issue with him?

Seeing as how I was around when a lot of RCAF officers were CDS I agree with your comment.
I think Henault was a fine CDS. And when I check WIKI and review the CDS who were RCAF they as I recall  were all very solid performers.
Has it only been ten years since Henault retired? I guess he got eclipsed by Hillier and the events of Afghanistan followed by Lawson's low profile tenure.

Baden Guy said:
Seeing as how I was around when a lot of RCAF officers were CDS I agree with your comment.
I think Henault was a fine CDS. And when I check WIKI and review the CDS who were RCAF they as I recall  were all very solid performers.
Has it only been ten years since Henault retired? I guess he got eclipsed by Hillier and the events of Afghanistan followed by Lawson's low profile tenure.

The one I could see as being problematic might be General Boyle.  I think it is all case by case.  War time Generals's might be the ones that we immediately think of because that's what the military is meant for.  Gentlemen like General's Hiller and Natynczyk were probably the right fit for that time but one has to wonder how well they would have done in another time, ie peacetime or something like the 90's.

It is that balance of trying to find the right man for the right job at the right time.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Back