• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

The latest on Polar Ice Breakers from April 4th. The only problems is that it says that the negotiations are still underway with Davie.

negotiating what exactly? Who is designing what? I thought Seaspan was doing the design/design refresh? There is no build contract with Seaspan yet. Only in Canada would we have a 2 ship class built by 2 different yards or are they going to be two different designs?

Current status​

In July 2021, Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards began work to support the assessment and optimization of the design, planning work and begin preparation for comprehensive construction engineering for the polar icebreaker program.

The year ahead​

• Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards will continue to advance the design work
  • Negotiations with Chantier Davie for the initial design work contract for 1 of the 2 polar icebreakers to start

Has DND released any status or images related to the Jetty B reconstruction out of Esquimalt?
The contractor must be getting close to the max build out but news is scarce.

Has DND released any status or images related to the Jetty B reconstruction out of Esquimalt?
The contractor must be getting close to the max build out but news is scarce.
I did the approval of the jetty improvements under the NPA I think in 2017

Update on the OOSV. Also I understand many of the crews of the ships in North Van are getting a tour of the AOR today.

negotiating what exactly? Who is designing what? I thought Seaspan was doing the design/design refresh? There is no build contract with Seaspan yet. Only in Canada would we have a 2 ship class built by 2 different yards or are they going to be two different designs?

Current status​

In July 2021, Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards began work to support the assessment and optimization of the design, planning work and begin preparation for comprehensive construction engineering for the polar icebreaker program.

The year ahead​

• Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards will continue to advance the design work
  • Negotiations with Chantier Davie for the initial design work contract for 1 of the 2 polar icebreakers to start
I think the design work is being done by a 3rd party, and has been ongoing for a long time. Davie might inherit some internal VSY design guidelines but it's all pretty straightforward. It's the production side thing where you break it down into modules to figure out how to make it that is very specific to the shipyard processes/workflow and any equipment limitations (like weight of cranes and module size).

Davie should have a few years of upgrades anyway, so there is no major rush.

Oceanographic survey ship. I wonder if it would be worth building a second to replace the HMAV Quest.

Oceanographic survey ship. I wonder if it would be worth building a second to replace the HMAV Quest.
Many navies are looking at these types of ships

US navy bought Paul Allen's toy.

It is really the Navy’s responsibility to be conducting scientific environmental research?

It is really the Navy’s responsibility to be conducting scientific environmental research?
Navigation, submarine/ASW ops, MCM operations, environmental effects on sensors, etc. would all greatly benefit from accurate charts and details on currents, water temperature, density, etc..

Navigation, submarine/ASW ops, MCM operations, environmental effects on sensors, etc. would all greatly benefit from accurate charts and details on currents, water temperature, density, etc..
‘Nice to have?’ Should the RCN also be tasked with nice to haves like charting and maintaining navigable waterways?

The question is if the RCN is having challenges providing core defence/combat capabilities, should it even be in a discussion about ‘nice to have’ capabilities, that are even questionable as to whether they should be today’s Navy task(s)?

‘Nice to have?’ Should the RCN also be tasked with nice to haves like charting and maintaining navigable waterways?

The question is if the RCN is having challenges providing core defence/combat capabilities, should it even be in a discussion about ‘nice to have’ capabilities, that are even questionable as to whether they should be today’s Navy task(s)?
You'd have to talk to a Navy type, but my understanding is that hydrological data is constantly changing...current flow rates and directions, density, salinity, temperature, etc. and these factors can have significant tactical impacts on operations (particularly submarine/ASW operations). It's not just about mapping the sea floor.

When on operations I'm guessing you may want to have a Naval survey vessel available to provide detailed data. You can't count on having non-Naval survey ships to operate in a potential conflict zone. But again I'm just guessing based on the fact that every other major naval power has their own survey vessels.

Back