• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NET

Klinkaroo

Inactive
Reaction score
Thinking alot of the NET trade.

I am really good with computers and love everything that is computer networks, radio (got a scanner sitting on my desk right now :p) and that kind of stuff. What I would like to know is what does a daily routine look like on a ship other then cleaning stations also can you specialize? I really like computer networks and managing them and stuff.

How many NETs (Comm) are there on a sub approximately?

Is there system drawings to do like drawing circuit boards and stuff cause I am one of those weird people that enjoys sitting at a desk and doing these drawing.

Spec 1 or Spec 2?

Would you say there are good opportunities for shore postings overseas such as Afghanistan?

Questions about being on 3s course.

What are accommadations like in Halifax (Clean?, Fridge?, Allowed to bring my own TV?)?
What block do most students stay in?
Are they single rooms (I like to study by myself in a quiet room)?
Parking?

Don't want to get personal but what does you salary look like after your 3s. I know I can look up the official document but like after they add on all the benefits like sea pay and stuff what do most people salaries look like?

......If you are into computer networks and things like that, you might want to look into the NAVCOMM trade.  I'll answer a couple of your questions that I know answers for....
  In regards to circuits....there are TONS of that on your 3's.  If you are into that kind of stuff...you will love it. 
  As for spec pay...it's the lower of the two.
--- I know of some NET's that have gone to the sandbox to work on electronics.....

----Accomodations in Halifax is right in Stadacona at Atlantic block...aka A block . What a shithole.  But there you can have your own TV if you want..or use the 20 inch provided...........you'll have a bar fridge between two people.......and you will definately have one roommate.  There is parking directly outside the doors.......
----  By the time you are finished your 3's you will be at Pte level 2 I belive.( depending on how much time you have in now??could be more..)....plus sea pay plus PLD ( they kick you out of A block after your 3's)........You'll be making 50 grand or more for sure.  Minus taxes of course  :p
  Cheers
COD :cdn:

Ok Thanks

So if I understand they don't do a hole lot of computer networking that is more on the navcomm side of things...

Any possibility of living aboard ship after course to save money?

Is the roommate generaly from the course or some random guy...?

Also got 2 years in as a reserve and BMQ, NETP and QL1 qualified. I presume they will credit my BMQ and NETP (that is what they did for someone else they CTed in my unit). How much time do you guess I might get credited for time in? Maybe a year?

Generally speaking, PFTPS (Previous Full Time Paid Service) is calculated at:

Class B 90 days or more:  day for day

All other service:  1/4 time

I'd have to find the reg that states that but don't have it on hand, but thats how the calculated mine IIRC.  I remember being not happy that Class Bs under 90 days were 1/4 time even though you worked full time.  wtf, over.  Your 10-07 should list all your Class A/B service.

......when I was on course...the NET's didn't have rooms together .  My buddy had a different roommate every 3 months or so.  With the reservists in the summer, and people moving in and out all the time.  You just never know.
  You don't have to stay in the shacks if you don't want to either.  Get yourself a basement apartment or something close by....then you'll get the 630$ PLD to put towards it. 
Cheers

I am an NET(C) so if you have some questions fire away.  I did my QL3,4,5 all in Halifax.  I opted to not stay in A block but it is not all that bad.  CFNES (the school) has one whole floor so you have common students in the whole wing.

How the computer stuff works, we get basic PC maintenance on our QL3.  That includes everything from operating systems to all of the components in the computer including memory types etc.  On your QL5, you take LAN (local area networks) and WAN (wide area network) courses.  This gets into IP address architecture, OSI layers, CISCO routers and switches... Basically you cover the CCNA course.  The NavComm's setup the accounts, etc on the ships and use the equipment but as an NET(C) I am responsible for fixing it when it breaks. 

They are talking about getting rid of the NavComm trade and splitting the NET(C) trade into internal and external comms.  When this happens, I am not sure what will be done about account config's etc.  It might come to us or it might not... Who knows at this point.

Klinkaroo said:
Any possibility of living aboard ship after course to save money?

It takes a special kind of person to live on-board for more then a couple months.  I did it for my first 10 years.  I spent more money on entertainment then if I had of had a small apartment ashore.  Sure you can save money by living on-board, but at what cost.  There is no food available outside meal hours, and you still have to pay for your meals on-board.  There is no privacy at all.  Far to small a locker to keep everything in.  No place to work on hobies.  And the list goes on.  As was said, you get $630 for PDL and I know parts of town where that will cover the rent and more, if you don't mind where you live.

Yeah I didn't know that Halifax had that much for PLD. I am sure I could find a one bedroom apartment somewhere for that much or less.

No more living onboard!

That stopped around 8 years ago.

Your Pay + Sea Pay + PLD= Apartment Ashore or Mortgage

and yes Army Vern , soup at 10!

HFXCrow said:
No more living onboard!

That stopped around 8 years ago.

Your Pay + Sea Pay + PLD= Apartment Ashore or Mortgage

and yes Army Vern , soup at 10!

Just thought it was important to note, especially for a OD/AB, PLD rates are subject to change annually.  It might go up, it might go down, it could stay the same, but currently PLD for Halifax is $634.

Ok thanks again for all the info.

BTW I love 10 o'clock soup... why don't they have that in the air force and army? :p

Seriously, NET is a great go. Take advantage of SEP(Sunsidized Education Program). Talk to the recruiter about it. It pays for college and has several other advantages.

The Army just got a monthly Field Allowance next they will want soup at 10!

In all fairness, I much preferred the 1000 hrs toast and coffee at the Mess to soup  ;D

It also depends on the cook. Nothing better then a really good cook who cares about his work :)

Back