• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NDP MP introduces bill to create "Defence of Canada Medal (1946-1989)"

PJGary said:
Australia actually has their version of this medal, except it's for current service as well.
http://www.defence.gov.au/medals/Content/+047%20ADM%20+%20ANSM/+070%20ADM/

Since I wouldn't qualify for this medal due to the slight problem of not being alive in the 60's and 70's, I'll just petition to get "Saville Farm" and "Vertical Village" added to my unit's battle honors.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh ... we have a thread on the proposed Volunteer Service Medal that turned into a "But Australia does, so we Canadians should have one too thread ..." I think it was 2 or 3 years ago now --- It was locked up right quick.

Thank goodness.

Actually, it turned into a "military bars I've known and loved" thread.  ;)

I can't believe "The Village of Wainwright" was posted, but not The Park.

...and I want a clasp for the Roz    :nod:

Perhaps you didn't catch the subtle change because you're such a shy wallflower    ;D

[In a vague attempt to get this remotely back....in the general grid square of.... the topic....]

Gee, I hope I get a medal out of this...    ;D

This is one dumb idea, like already mentioned WE have the CD and I know that in Ontario there is a 20 yr exemplary service medal. 
I know the police have a medal.  However the range of entitlement for this medal will dilute the whole concept.
Please, I hope this one does not pass. 
Leave it to the NDP. 
I for one would not wear it. 
IMHO

mad dog 2020 said:
This is one dumb idea, like already mentioned WE have the CD and I know that in Ontario there is a 20 yr exemplary service medal. I know the police have a medal.

The ESMs are federal, and represent various professions:
http://archive.gg.ca/honours/medals/hon04-esm_e.asp

A medal like this would be awarded to just about everybody.  In fact, it might be easier to compile a list of those who don't qualify - it could be shorter. ;D

Medals are for doing something outside the norm.  If everyone is doing what it takes to get a medal and, therefore, gets it, then that activity is normal.  Those who wear the uniform are assumed to fulfill the normal duties of service.  No further recognition is required.

Pusser said:
A medal like this would be awarded to just about everybody.  In fact, it might be easier to compile a list of those who don't qualify - it could be shorter. ;D

Medals are for doing something outside the norm.  If everyone is doing what it takes to get a medal and, therefore, gets it, then that activity is normal.  Those who wear the uniform are assumed to fulfill the normal duties of service.  No further recognition is required.
Oh, you mean like the CD.  ;)

mad dog 2020 said:
This is one dumb idea, like already mentioned WE have the CD and I know that in Ontario there is a 20 yr exemplary service medal. 

Aha,...didn't know this was you.
Actually the "exemplary medal" is a federal award and any time from the military that DIDN'T go towards your CD can go towards this one.
In my case I'm pushing 33 years for my 20 year medal,....I keep forgetting to bring in my retirement scroll and for a long time the Ontario Corrections folks didn't do their paperwork.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Actually the "exemplary medal" is a federal award and any time from the military that DIDN'T go towards your CD can go towards this one.

Are you sure of that?
For example, Police Exemplary Service Medal ( from link above ):
"However, full-time exemplary service of former members of the RCMP and Military Police of the Canadian Forces may qualify where that service has not been recognized by award of the RCMP Long Service and Good Conduct Medal or the Canadian Forces Decoration, respectively."

This would seem to exclude time from the military not spent as a full-time member of the Military Police.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Yup,...Corrections is different.

I guess it is.

From what we were told, CF time does not apply towards the EMS-ESM:
"Those with at least 10 years of service with emergency medical services may include, in the 20 years of service, service completed in another profession, provided this service has not been recognized by another long service, good conduct or efficiency decoration or medal awarded by the Crown."
We asked Ottawa what they meant by "another profession". They said it had to be one of the professions in the Exemplary Service Medal "family" ( as they called it ).

Here's the links for all.
http://archive.gg.ca/honours/medals/hon04-esm_e.asp

mariomike said:
I guess it is.

From what we were told, CF time does not apply towards the EMS-ESM:
"Those with at least 10 years of service with emergency medical services may include, in the 20 years of service, service completed in another profession, provided this service has not been recognized by another long service, good conduct or efficiency decoration or medal awarded by the Crown."
We asked Ottawa what they meant by "another profession". They said it had to be one of the professions in the Exemplary Service Medal "family" ( as they called it ).

Yes, but not any other profession.  In the case of former CF members, their CF occupation has to fit within the profession recognized by a particular ESM.  For example, a former CF firefighter can use his/her CF service (as a firefighter) toward the Fire Services ESM, provided his CF service has not been recognized with a CD.  However, a former CF infantryman who becomes a civilian firefighter later cannot use any of his/her CF service toward the Fire Services ESM. 

I like to think of this proposed medal as the NDP finally coming to its senses and wanting to formally recognize the good job that huge stockpiles of nuclear weapons did to maintain peace throughout the world.  ;D

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
I like to think of this proposed medal as the NDP finally coming to its senses and wanting to formally recognize the good job that huge stockpiles of nuclear weapons did to maintain peace throughout the world.  ;D

Regards
G2G

So all the retired weapons and currently serving ones that were around then are to get the gongs...are there any Honest Johns, Bomarcs, Genies or Falcons around any more?  ;D

MM

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Unreal.

Please take the colossal waste of money this would cost and use it to fix up war memorials across the country..........

I can't even imagine the costs associated with this.  (# of medals) x (cost) + (# of parades) x (cost) + (# of dignitaries to issue) x (salary) + (sticky buns) x (a lot). 

I seriously doubt any realistic cost analysis has been done.  The word colossal is probably pretty accurate though.  I can't even begin to count the number of people that would qualify for this.  -1 for me though, I missed it by a couple years.

With the amount of money coupled with the amount of time to hand these suckers out, perhaps we could spread it out over the next 50 yrs.  We will have to get them to the old fellas first though, as they will not be around to see the last one issued.

Back