• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Officers Once Again to Wear the Executive Curl

Personally, I think this is great.

Thre is nothing wrong with identity between branches of service. I signed up in Jan 1976, and I do remember the days of the generic CF Greens, where we all wore the same uniforms and rank.  Much was lost and destroyed with our customs and traditions in the Trudeau era.

OWDU

As the motion was only passed in Parliament on Friday afternoon, it will likely be some time before we actually hear any details as to how it's going to be being implemented.

Which, of course, doesn't stop us from engaging in rampant speculation. I doubt there will be any difference between the Reg and Res insignia. After all, the motion only mentioned the re-introduction of the Executive Curl. The same goes for the re-introduction of branch colours between your stripes (For everyone other than the surgeons of course, who do currently have their red stripes). I would consider that a separate initiative. Not that I'd mind a little green in there.

As for the question of who pays for it, well, frankly considering how bloody hard it is to get a pair Lt(N) slip-ons today, while they may not intend for it to be at personal expense, it may just end up being that that's the only way one is able to actually get a hold of them in a timely fashion.

There will be no difference between Reg and Res.
Also, scuttlebutt says that the Admiral was dead against it but that he was overrode by the Minister and CDS.

They have had the curl on the mess dress for a while now, and there also is the maroon embedded in the medical officers shoulder boards too.  As such, I would say it is a work in progress.

jollyjacktar said:
They have had the curl on the mess dress for a while now, and there also is the maroon embedded in the medical officers shoulder boards too.  As such, I would say it is a work in progress.
Scarlet/red for medical officers; maroon is used by, if I understand it correctly, medical administrators (formerly wardmasters). Saw such on a Lt (N) nurse.

So this would mean good-by to the "plastic" single-sheet rank braid?

Mia must be having fits right about now... visions of all of MARPAC's commissioned and NCdt population lined up at her door, tunics in hand; unless the snotties stay curl-less.

No worries Journeyman [3]: the "wavy-Navy" stripes were canned in canada shortly after WWII while the Navy was still Royal. So there is no going back. After the "Wavy" and until unification the reserve officers of all Reserves (in those days there were two reserves: the Volunteer reserve and the Reserve, which was made of Merchant seaman. Each had its own different wavy pattern in WWII) wore the straight bars with an "R" inside the curl.

By the way, Mia does not have to worry: I have seen how the Brits do it: The curls and wide bar are a single piece pre-sewn at the shop by the supplier so all there is to do for the tailor is sow it on the uniform in one piece, just like the "tape" we now use.

P.S.: We could just start wearing them at least at sea, without "formal approval". In the days of the green unibags, that is how we started the Navy Whites revolution: we just started buying USN pattern whites and wear them on special occasions, then on Fridays for weepers, then when officer of the day, then ... You get the point.

This is great news to see and about time!  I never thought the politicians would ever have this on their radar, let alone pass a motion to consider bringing this back.  I fully support this and think that it would be great for a stronger sense of naval identity.  Not a bad Centennial gift for the Navy IMO.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
P.S.: We could just start wearing them at least at sea, without "formal approval". In the days of the green unibags, that is how we started the Navy Whites revolution: we just started buying USN pattern whites and wear them on special occasions, then on Fridays for weepers, then when officer of the day, then ... You get the point.

I actually do know one MARSie who already does this for. He either them made, or obtained a pair of Royal Navy Lieutenant shoulderboards. He typically wears them for things like RPCs and when the XO orders "red sea rig".

As for quadrapiper's question, no executive curl for snotties! That is to say, Portugal is the only country that I noticed where naval cadets (Aspirante) wear "Elliot's Eye". I highly doubt we'll be following their lead in this regard.

If the naval officers get their executive curl, I think it would be fair for the NCMs to get their sea-time service stripes.

RumRunner said:
If the naval officers get their executive curl, I think it would be fair for the NCMs to get their sea-time service stripes.

Hear! Hear! RumRunner.

And their trade level badges, and the killicks instead of maple leaf for PO2 and below.

I am going to take a very much wait and see approach on this. A motion in parliament such as this doesn't have a lot of weight behind it and given that the Naval Board comments, it certainly doesn't seem to be a priority of the adults in the Navy.

The comment that intrigued me was that the 'man who would be king' while attending  a ceremony he was at in Canada, questioned the CDS or the minister why his Canadian Naval uniform did not have the curl. Apparently the CDS and MND are the ones who have pushed for this to occur after being asked about it by Charles. I heard that there is to be an announcement in May. All rumours of course but fun to share.  ;)

Is there some specific reason the Minister and CDS can't make it so on their own authorities?

ModlrMike said:
Is there some specific reason the Minister and CDS can't make it so on their own authorities?

Well, firstly:

Sailorwest said:
All rumours of course but fun to share.  ;)

And think of how long a thread we'd have here if the Minister and the CDS simply decided one day to order the Navy to start wearing the curl "because the Prince wanted it".

It would be an orgy of online rhetoric from the Naval protectionists, the ant-Monarchists and the "first, let's kill all the politicos" in their race to be the best at butchering the Queen's English over the affront it would have been to each of them personally.

Michael O'Leary said:
And think of how long a thread we'd have here if the Minister and the CDS simply decided one day to order the Navy to start wearing the curl "because the Prince wanted it".

It would be an orgy of online rhetoric from the Naval protectionists, the ant-Monarchists and the "first, let's kill all the politicos" in their race to be the best at butchering the Queen's English over the affront it would have been to each of them personally.

Too true!  :) :) :)

However, is there any regulatory limit?

ModlrMike said:
Too true!  :) :) :)

However, is there any regulatory limit?

QR&Os have an idea.

17.01 – UNIFORMS

Members of the Canadian Forces shall wear the uniforms prescribed by the Chief of the Defence Staff.

Slowly undoing the poison's of the Trudeau era. Looking forward to it becoming official.

Colin P said:
Slowly undoing the poison's of the Trudeau era. Looking forward to it becoming official.

I remember not too fondly the "Trudeau era" The decade of darkness was in reality about two decades.
Sorry, got off topic.

To my Naval comrades, I hope that it does happen! :salute:

FSTO said:
There will be no difference between Reg and Res.
Also, scuttlebutt says that the Admiral was dead against it but that he was overrode by the Minister and CDS.

I personally can't think of any reason why the Admiral (or anyone else, for that matter) would be against it, unless it was based on $ or convenience reasons (ie. Mia trying to get all west coast Naval Officers to get it done at once.)  Were there any reasons put forward why the senior leadership would be against it?  It's not like they're trying to change the entire uniform.

Sorry ...you can blame PET for a lot including ushering in the decades of darkness...but the "distinctive" green uniform and approach to a single set of rank badges etc... to it came with Lester Pearson and the architect/designer of the green was the CDS at the time...JV Allard...

Back