• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

N.L. children find body inside suitcase

Mike Baker

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
LINK

N.L. children find body inside suitcase
Updated Sat. Jun. 7 2008 12:02 PM ET

The Canadian Press

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- A St. John's, N.L., man has been arrested after a group of children found a dismembered body stuffed inside a suitcase.

The children were playing in a backyard when they made the gruesome discovery late Friday afternoon.

A 35-year-old man was arrested that night.

Police say he's expected to be charged with second-degree murder and performing an indignity to a dead body during a court appearance today.

A spokesman with the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary has said officers will find assistance for the children to help them deal with the shock.

Here is another link(CBC)

A man in St. John's has been charged with murder after three boys discovered human remains in a suitcase.

Three boys, all around 10 years old, were playing cops and robbers Friday afternoon in the backyard of a home on Warbury Street, in the city's west end, when one spotted a suitcase, said Paula Williams, the mother of one of the children.

"They said it was a suitcase and they hauled [it] out — you know kids today — they [thought] it was money or something," Williams told CBC News.

"They hauled it out, and it was a dead body."

The discovery shocked the children, she said.

"They came up bawling out and screaming out, and all the kids came down to look around, being nosy."

Williams said her son was shaken and threw up several times, but seemed to be fine several hours later.

The RNC was alerted and by Friday evening, half a dozen police vehicles lined the residential street.

"We are pulling out all of our investigative teams, everything that is necessary for us to complete a full investigation," Const. Paul Davis said Friday.

He said the police will ensure the children get any help they may need to cope with what they saw.

Warren Patrick White, 35, is charged with second-degree murder and performing an indignity to a dead body. He appeared in court Saturday.

Police have identified the remains as those of Amanda Power, 30, and believe she was killed between May 30 and June 6.

More details are expected to be released later Saturday.

Rather quite a shocker, Warbury street is about 200 meters from my street. The wooded area they likely found the body in (the area I am thinking of) I used to play spotlight in my pre-teenhood.

I also know that wooded area from my youth.

bldg_mapsrv498440325656%5B1%5D.jpg

. . . all the kids came down to look around, being nosy . . .were playing cops and robbers Friday afternoon . . . The RNC was alerted and by Friday evening, half a dozen police vehicles lined the residential street.

I'm sure the RNC responded promptly, but how long did it take for the kids (or their parents) to report the body.

not the brightest murder though, I mean a suitcase? and leave the suitcase in a wooded area where kids play, and what was he palnning on doing with the suitcase, go on vacation with it? I feel bad for the kids, this kind of event can't be forgotten, could lead to emotional and traumatic problems

I 'm not seeing the article mentioning a wooded area.  I see the kids playing in a backyard then they "hauled it out" suggesting it might have been in a basement or shed.

Still very interesting to wonder what his plans for the suitcase were..

Ex-Dragoon said:
Murder should not be a source of merriment, grow up!

Milnet.Ca Staff

Actually they are not laughing about the murder, but finding a way to cope. Finding something humorous in a murder is actually a healthy copping tool.

sledge said:
Actually they are not laughing about the murder, but finding a way to cope. Finding something humorous in a murder is actually a healthy copping tool.

finding a way to cope? I hardly think so.

Bzzliteyr said:
I 'm not seeing the article mentioning a wooded area.  I see the kids playing in a backyard then they "hauled it out" suggesting it might have been in a basement or shed.

Still very interesting to wonder what his plans for the suitcase were..

Coming from someone who lives in St.John's, AND in that neighbor hood, trust me, it was a wooded area behind a few houses on Warbury St.
They have the entire wooded area lined of with yellow police tape.

*edited for a silly typo

Bzzliteyr said:

http://www.vocm.com/news-info.asp?id=29220
St. John's Homicide Investigation Continues
June 8, 2008

The RNC continue to investigate a homicide in St. John's. This after a group of pre-teens discovered a dismembered body in a wooded area behind a home on Warbury Street.  35 year old Warren White has been charged with 2nd Degree Murder and Performing an Indignity to a Dead Body.  He's been remanded back into custody for a second court appearance.  RNC Cst. Paul Davis says the body is that of an adult female.  He says they have a large team of investigators working on the case, and are focusing on three areas of concern.  The area of the home on Warbury Street, an open space near lower Shaw Street, and as well the Waterford River from Water Street West to, and including, the St. John's Harbour.  Davis couldn't confirm the victims age but did say she was known to the accused.  Davis says they are now working to assist the children and families involved.

Suspect chatted with police prior to arrest
ALISHA MORRISSEY The Telegram    Last updated at 9:13 AM on 08/06/08

A man who made small talk with police for at least half an hour at a St. John's crime scene Friday has been arrested and charged as the prime suspect in a grisly murder.
. . .
White's address is listed in court documents as 63A Warbury St.

Police are confirming the human remains discovered were that of a dismembered adult female. Reports from neighbours and some parents say the limbs and head were missing from the body, and its torso was in a suitcase.
. . .
Meanwhile, more than 20 investigators, civilian staff members of the RNC and the medical examiner's office are working on the case, Davis says. The Rovers ground search team and the Canadian Coast Guard have also been called in to help search three key areas for evidence.

"One being the residence located at 63 Warbury St. and the adjoining wooded areas near that home, an open-space area in the lower end of Shaw Street and, as well, the Waterford River from the Water Street area to, and including, the St. John's harbour," Davis says. "These areas have been secured and are being searched for the presence of evidence and I can tell you that we are not prepared to discuss the details of what we are searching for today."
. . .
(more at link)

See image at http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/77096/post-721717.html#msg721717 to situate the ground. 

Updated Mon. Jun. 9 2008 8:52 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The 29-year-old St. John's woman whose remains were found in a suitcase last week was a nine-months-pregnant mother of two, her father revealed Monday.

Amanda Power had been carrying the child of the man who has since been accused in her slaying, Peter Power told The Canadian Press.

"She was almost due,'' he said. "I don't think there's a worse hurt in the world that can compare with this.''

Power's body was discovered in St. John's by a group of young boys. She is believed to have been murdered a week ago, then dismembered at a later date. She had not been reported missing.

Warren White, 35, was arrested Friday in connection with the gruesome murder.

White had two court appearances over the weekend. He is charged with second-degree murder and committing an indignity to a dead body. He also faces outstanding charges for assault and uttering threats, in an unrelated incident.

White has been ordered by the court to undergo a week-long psychiatric assessment to determine whether he is fit to stand trial, and will be back in court on June 16.

Police are still combing the area where Amanda Power's body was found, including a nearby river and the St. John's harbour.

They have been silent on what they are looking for and whether they have found anything else.

Couple met in rehab

Peter Power, 59, said his daughter met White while in rehab for a drug addiction last year.

"For the last while, she was trying really hard doing the methadone treatment and everything to get her life straightened out,'' he said, describing her as a bright and happy child whose life spun out of control in her teen years.

Methadone is a narcotic used to wean addicts from drugs such as OxyContin, morphine and heroin.

"It seemed like things just changed for her for some reason, and she got into drugs," said the father, who is raising his daughter's two children, ages 10 and 12, at his home in nearby Paradise, N.L.

"She used to come quite a bit at first to see them and then all of a sudden she just faded away. ... I don't think she wanted her children to know what her lifestyle was really like. She knew that they were happy and protected here."

Boys made grisly discovery

Two of the boys told NTV about making the grisly discovery in a wooded area off of Warbury Street where they often play.

"It was like a big huge black suitcase and... it looked there was a belt on it, they'd tied it up so nobody could open it. Well we opened it and it was scary," said one of the boys.

Another boy told NTV's Darrin Bent: "We saw a suitcase and we opened it and we thought it was an animal or something and we found out it was a body."

The mother of one of the boys said she was worried about the long-term effects on her son after such a traumatic experience.

"Guess what I'm worried about?" asked Paula Williams. "If he's going to have nightmares in the nighttime, if he's going to wake up crying. He's not having them now but he might have them later on down the line. You don't know."

People who live on the street where the couple lived said police had been called to their apartment several times, but the news still came as a shock.

"It bothers me you don't know what's going on in your neighbourhood," said Paul Whitten, who grew up playing in the forest where the boys found the remains.

Murders in St. John's are extremely rare. The city has a homicide rate of 0.6 per cent per 100,000 people, one of Canada's lowest.

With files from The Canadian Press

Back