• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My choices

Kevin_B

Inactive
Reaction score
My first choice was firefighter and the second was armour but now it's the other way around and my application is already in. Do they merit list you for only your first choice or do they do it for all three? My third choice was infantry so if there an opening for that trade before theres one for firefighter, would they still send send me an offer?

Well  if your going to basic this summer I would stay where you are and get basic under your belt. Then worry about making the change. The Canadian Forces are under strength I believe in just about all areas and there would probably be a position open to you when your done basic. However, if your not going to basic this summer what your going to have to do is ask your sergeant for a transfer and you may probably end up talking to your CO about it (that if your on the pay role and your parading at a unit, if not, you just deal with CFRC). Then it's back to CFRC for another interview. As you may know, dealing with CFRC takes for ever (took me a year) so if not going to basic start your transfer now and get it over with.

For Regular Force NCMs, you will be merit listed for all of choices that you have requested.  When they look at selecting applicants for a particular trade, what order your trade choices are listed as is irrelevant.  It doesn't mean that they ignore the fact that your first choice is probably the one that you want the most but they will still make the offer and leave the decision to you to decide if you want to take your second or third choice or refuse the offer and wait for one of your other choices.

An important thing to remember.  Refusing an offer does not affect your chances on receiving a future offer for one of your other choices.

Your going full time, regs, right?. firefighter is a hard trade to get. What I was told by my recruiter was that you are offered what is available to you, I was told that even if you have armoured as 1 and infantry as choice 2 you still may get INF 031 as your trade. Now your not going to be able to just get basic over with as your going to have to recieve an offer for a certain trade before you can leave for basic, for the combat arms this is usually 3 years, as Im sure you know.  talk to your recruiter regarding this issue. I am almost positive that if you have armoured as #1 and firefighter as #2 you will not recieve firefighter as it is so competitive. like I say, call your recruiter and make sure with him or her, remember everyones situation is different, ie.... qualifications, firefighting expierience and so on.

Until you have actually officially signed up and been sworn in you can change your choices and their order at anytime. Just call up your file manager and talk to them asap. If you're still in the testing phase of recruiting it shouldn't be a problem, but if you've done all that already and are just waiting to see where you are put on the merit list it will be harder, but not impossible. Even if you do change you're choices around you may still get your second choice.

You can change MOC choices until you sign the offer.  If you change your choices to a new occupation that wasn't on your applicationbut were interviewed for three others, you will have to have an updated interview to ensure you are suitable for the new occupation.  You can change the order of your preferences or delete occupations that you are no longer interested in.  Firefighter is hard to get into and is semi-skilled/skilled only at the moment.

I'm haven't had med or an interview yet so I think I'll get rid of firefigher and move the others up one and maybe get a third choice.

3 years?? I want to do it NOW! I'm starting to hate my stupid job and want a career   :mad:

I'm going reg BTW.

Three years as in you will receive an offer for a three years contract for all NCM occupations unless you are applying for subsidized education.

Back