• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mk III Combat Boots: Use, Maintenance & Other Stuff.

Somewhere on the forum, and perhaps right in this thread, there is a diagram of the proper way to lace your boots. It is the same one you will be given on your BMQ. Your Directing Staff on that course will also ensure your understanding and compliance of said method of lacing your boots. Have fun and pay attention.

Question: Does anyone know if there is there a replacement/ upgrade planned for the good ol' Mk III? It's been around since '78/'79

daftandbarmy said:
Question: Does anyone know if there is there a replacement/ upgrade planned for the good ol' Mk III? It's been around since '78/'79

The dies used to make the MkIIIs broke down 2 years ago and needed to be re-done. So there has been a shortage ongoing since this and most popular sizes have been "restricted to operations" via CANFORGEN as a result. Slowly they are making their way back into the chain. The move is to have the new boots coming into the system fitted with the vibram sole as the standard.

KingLibra said:
I have a simple question, is there a certain way of lacing up mklll combat boots? I was just issued my mklll a few days ago and didn't like how it was laced up, i was thinking about doing criss cross lacing.... would that be ok?

KingLibra-Here you go
Ref: A-AD-265-000-AG-001-Canadian Forces Dress Regulations

TAC MP said:
KingLibra-Here you go
Ref: A-AD-265-000-AG-001-Canadian Forces Dress Regulations

stupid question here, but you are told to lace them like that because all someone has to do is cut one of the laces on top and the whole thing comes undone easily right? in case of emergency..

next one i have seen many NCO's and members while on OJT have the two holes right at the boot bend( where the boot bends as you step) skipped, any words on that??

It's typically reffered to as jump lacing, the main point being it releases the pressure on the inside of the ankle preventing blisters in a real b!@$#$% of a spot, most often seen in the field or during ruck marches as opposed to garrison.

Hey all, this is my first post but I've been lurking for a while, and I thought my question was best suited for this thread, since apparently starting a new one is unpopular.

The situation is this, I am but a lowly Air Force CIC officer (*dons flame retardant gear*) and I was just recently issued everything for the field.  Our scale of issue includes a lot less than reg force/reserve, mostly we just get clothing.  Now the boots I was issued are Air Crew boots, which looks Identical to the Mark III's that I own from my days as a cadet, except the sole is different.  Other than that, identical.  I realize this question might have been answered, but I've read this thread and haven't found one.  I've always been told to polish the Mark III's, and I have.  But, like the original post, mine said to use the sealant, and then use black dye on them. 

So my question is, just throw some polish on, or actually head up to Canex and get some dye?  I live about 8 minutes from the base in North Bay, so thats not really an issue.

Additionally, which one is better suited for the field?  I'm sure I know what the answer will be, but just to be sure, if anyone has experience with them.

Thanks guys

opie_cic said:
Hey all, this is my first post but I've been lurking for a while, and I thought my question was best suited for this thread, since apparently starting a new one is unpopular.

The situation is this, I am but a lowly Air Force CIC officer (*dons flame retardant gear*) and I was just recently issued everything for the field.  Our scale of issue includes a lot less than reg force/reserve, mostly we just get clothing.  Now the boots I was issued are Air Crew boots, which looks Identical to the Mark III's that I own from my days as a cadet, except the sole is different.  Other than that, identical.   I realize this question might have been answered, but I've read this thread and haven't found one.  I've always been told to polish the Mark III's, and I have.  But, like the original post, mine said to use the sealant, and then use black dye on them. 

So my question is, just throw some polish on, or actually head up to Canex and get some dye?  I live about 8 minutes from the base in North Bay, so thats not really an issue.

Additionally, which one is better suited for the field?  I'm sure I know what the answer will be, but just to be sure, if anyone has experience with them.

Thanks guys

I think, if you check your boots, you'll also find that the tongue is cut and attached much differently than the MkIIIs as well. The Aircrew boots were, for a short time period, given out as an in lieu of item when the actual MkIII combat boot was reduced to "operational issue only" due to critical shortages being experienced. They didn't last very long as an interim measure in the Army because, as you've noticed, the sole is indeed different -- it's solid egdes wouldn't allow for mud etc to expel from the sides of the sole and the boys who actually did have to wear them out in the field here for a while ended up feeling like they were walking on mud cakes.

There is a CANFORGEN wrt the AirCrew boot being issued in-lieu, the details are posted on the forum here somewhere. Care and maintenance of the AirCrew boot is the same as the MkIII, in that either dye or polish will work. I always used polish on my MkIIIs (still do  ;D -- I love those babies).

Eventually, they happen upon the GP Combat Boot as an interim measure which is being issued out now as the stocks in MkIIIs disappear.

I though I'd add this here, the new Mark 4 boots states on the little care label that for best results use boot paste and then gives a NSN number, but unlike the mark 3's they don't specifically tell you not to use polish, in fact it just tells you not to use too much polish. It's also nice to see that they are still made of leather which means that kiwi polish should be perfect on these boots. For anybody who haven't traded the mark 3's in yet, these boots in the proper size are amazingly comfortable.

646bph said:
I though I'd add this here, the new Mark 4 boots (...)

There is no such thing as a Mark 4 boot, nor will there be.  I shall assume you are referring to the GPB.

Sure..... or as per the instruction sheet BCGP, clothing stores called it mark 4's

It is very much not a MkIV. I also wouldn't use polish on it. It recommends the paste, use it, it's free at clothing stores. Please refer to the following thread with regards to treatment of these boots: http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/50234.0.html

As you will see, there is much talk about these boots. Any questions, feel free to ask.

at the risk of necro posting ... i did do a search

I am on my way in to basic in march I am a noob ...

but I have have some experiance with breaking in work boots and surplus boots
Neatsfoot oil

the idea is to get the oil into the leather as much as you can  and wearing them
it seems to be more natural then using the boiled leather technique ( didn't folks harden leather in the middle ages that way .. i digress)

so should I plan on bringing some neatsfoot oil .. ?

is there a potential problem I may run into .. ie against some rule ?

or would it soften the boot too much as in I would loose some support ?

my favorite boots are these boots I  have were made in Quebec .. maybe jump boots ? ill have to post  a pic and maybe someone here can tell me .. all I know is they are very comfortable

Maintain all of your issued kit exactly the way that you are told, at least until you have some reasonable amont of time in.

Life will be easier that way.

Loachman said:
Maintain all of your issued kit exactly the way that you are told, at least until you have some reasonable amont of time in.

Life will be easier that way.

good advice ... ill keep my head low and try not to stand out :D

Hey guys.  Maybe I missed this topic in another post, but how do you blacken the heal of your parade boots?  I think someone told me to use hair spray?

Could use some black stuff.

Comes in a little round tin.

Called polish.

Apply it with a yellow cloth.

Rub it in with said cloth, use little circles or a quick back and forth buffing motion.

chappyk said:
sorry, i meant the sole of the boot? how do I blacken the sole?

The old boot silicone worked well..........Not the black stuff but the clear water sealer.

Back