• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military accepts B.C. man who allegedly boasted of murders, said he was Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

super26

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=268142

Private Stephen Cox had been at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu for all of 10 days when the complaints began.

In handwritten statements to a Military Police corporal, a dozen platoon members said Pte. Cox had claimed to be the Son of Man and the Second Coming of Christ.

He said God had chosen him to cleanse the world of evil and that he was going to kill the Jews, Catholics, blacks, aboriginals, gays and lesbians, they wrote.

"I heard Private Cox talk of mass genocide of all humans who do not share his beliefs," one complaint read. Said another, "It was revealed to him that he was the second Christ and it was his duty to join the Canadian Army and get into JTF-2 [the special forces] so that he would be in place for the apocalypse in 2012."

The military is supposed to screen its recruits before sending them to basic training. The Canadian Forces calls screening "essential" to ensuring that Canada's soldiers are loyal, trustworthy and reliable.

So how did Pte. Cox make it to boot camp?

He was known to police as a marijuana trafficker and wannabe underworld figure who, during a police sting, had boasted about killing a B.C. couple and hacking up their bodies with a knife. But he still managed to pass the "reliability screening" that all applicants to the armed forces undergo.

How commonly this happens is anyone's guess. The Canadian Forces has no records on how many applicants fail the reliability screening -- which includes criminal records, credit and reference checks.

But rejection figures for the next level of screening, which begins only once a recruit has started basic training, are low: Since 2002, the military has found reason to deny just six of the almost 75,000 people it screened.

Mr. Cox says he was upfront with recruiters in Vancouver about his troubles with police, but Captain Cindy Tessier, spokeswoman for the Canadian Forces Provost Marshall, said Mr. Cox's past did not turn up during screening.

"It didn't. I don't know why it didn't," she said. "The bottom line is: The information wasn't available during the screening process. But the important thing is [that] as soon as his behaviour was brought to the attention of the authorities, it was dealt with."

---

Stephen Cox grew up in Wales as Stephen Mark Richards. He was a Sea Cadet and Marine Cadet but in 1980 he left school at age 16 to join the Royal Marines Commando and was trained by the SAS, the British Special Forces.

He moved to British Columbia, worked as a welder and befriended an associate of the Hells Angels. When the headless remains of a marijuana grow-operator named John Bayer Jr. were found by spotted owl researchers on a logging road near Spuzzum, B.C., on Aug. 15, 1996, Mr. Cox became a suspect.

RCMP homicide investigators found a marijuana grow-room in a bunker under Mr. Bayer's garage. They also found documents linking him to Dale Weir. Phone records showed that, on the day of the murder, Mr. Cox had made calls from Mr. Weir's home in Chilliwack, B.C., and then left four days later for Colombia, the home of his wife, Maria Hurtado Zafra.

If you go to the link there is like 4 pages on this guy !!

That is absolutely crazy!!  The link is not working for me.  Has he since been released?  ???

We do have to keep in mind:

Being a person of interest to police does not equal having a criminal record, or ensure having any paperwork that might immediately appear during an initial security check.

Having religious fervor, even if he admitted it to the recruiter, can't be used as a means to deny enrollment - I would assume he didn't brief the recruiters like his fellow trainees.

We don't know what he admitted to during the recruitment process, or what evidence did or did not come to the attention of the recruiting process.  Since he was enrolled, we should assume that there was no significant evidence on which a clear denial of enrollment could be made. 

..and if he does have a mental illness,[as opposed to just trying to be a stooge] then I challenge anyone, even professionals, to diagnose that during the "good" times.

I remember taking a "client" down to ST. Mikes in Toronto to be committed as his prison sentence was over but the paperwork from our shrink had been dated wrong so the Doctor there said she couldn't hold him unless she gave him an evaluation. He answered everyone of her questions better than I could and even knew exactly where he was going [Seaton House] to get a residence so that he could then go to welfare[he even knew the address] and get his emergency funds.

Doc looks at my partner and me and says "Let him go",...so we release him from the 4 point tiedown, change him from 'baby dolls' and out the front door he walked...................still as nutty as a fruit bar.

I'd be curious to see what remedial action is being taken for the recruiter who interviewed this guy - that screening should also pick up the more "peculiar" segments of society that try to join the CF.

I have been saying for a while there needs to be a more thorough test or even personality test similar to the MMPI that the police give for screening. We have paid doctors and dentists, but we don't have as many paid psycologists or people who are capable of diagnosing a problem when they see one. I know one individual who works with CF that should not be in for mental health reasons but that individual is and it bothers everybody around them. We keep saying, something is going to happen and then it's going to be all over the headlines. We need to catch these people who aren't "mentally" fit to be in the army before they get in.

Let's face it, given that we provide uniforms & weapon training, we attract all sort of semi strange people.
Our recruiters catch some.... our recruit instructors catch others.... our section commanders & Troop leaders catch others still.
It's an ongoing process & I figure that, in this case, the "system" worked as it should.

The nutbar who did Dawson college (Kimveer Gill) was Identified during recruit training...
The nutbar who did the Quebec legislature (Cpl Lortie) was only identified after he executed his mission...
The nutbar who did the metro Toronto & Maryland police (Pte Schumacher) was only identified after he executed his mission...

Sonnyjim said:
I have been saying for a while there needs to be a more thorough test or even personality test similar to the MMPI that the police give for screening. We have paid doctors and dentists, but we don't have as many paid psycologists or people who are capable of diagnosing a problem when they see one. I know one individual who works with CF that should not be in for mental health reasons but that individual is and it bothers everybody around them. We keep saying, something is going to happen and then it's going to be all over the headlines. We need to catch these people who aren't "mentally" fit to be in the army before they get in.

You didn't read my previous post. did you?

I've worked within the recruit training system and I can tell you now that this isn't a surprise to me.  I've seen guys with files as thick as Sergeants on my desk.

Can't really blame the recruiters as it is the system we make them work in - forcing guys through a minimal paperwork cycle.  I'm surprised this guy wasn't in some sort of Commissioning program.... :-X

geo said:
The nutbar who did Dawson college (Kimveer Gill) was Identified during recruit training...
The nutbar who did the Quebec legislature (Cpl Lortie) was only identified after he executed his mission...
The nutbar who did the metro Toronto & Maryland police (Pte Schumacher) was only identified after he executed his mission...

They also rejected Marc Lepine, the nutbar who did the Ecole Polytechnique during the interview process.

{Devils Advocate}
Hmmm, I says to myself.  I'm a bored tough guy and petty criminal so I think I'll join the army to learn how to handle weapons and maybe even get the chance to kill people.

So not having been convicted of any crime and being a rather normal individual I get through the CF maze and into Recruit school.

Hmmm, I says to myself.  This isn't nearly as much fun as the last Rambo movie I saw and having a real drill instructor isn't nearly as funny as that guy from Full Metal Jacket. How am I going to get the hell out of here?

I have an idea...

Infanteer said:
Can't really blame the recruiters as it is the system we make them work in - forcing guys through a minimal paperwork cycle.  I'm surprised this guy wasn't in some sort of Commissioning program.... :-X

Well, if he was Jesus, perhaps the Chaplains branch  ::)

super26 said:
Stephen Cox grew up in Wales as Stephen Mark Richards. He was a Sea Cadet and Marine Cadet but in 1980 he left school at age 16 to join the Royal Marines Commando and was trained by the SAS, the British Special Forces.

Uh, anyone notice this?  I think that raises more alarm bells, for me at least.

Dimsum said:
Uh, anyone notice this?  I think that raises more alarm bells, for me at least.

How so? I would think anyone with prior military experience, especially with Special Forces time would be an appropriate addition to the CF.

benny88 said:
  How so? I would think anyone with prior military experience, especially with Special Forces time would be an appropriate addition to the CF.

I think he raising the point that if was he was with the Royal Marines Commando and the SAS, and then joined the Canadian Forces, then it's alarming no one noticed he was was a nutbar until now.

Pte.Butt said:
I think he raising the point that if was he was with the Royal Marines Commando and the SAS, and then joined the Canadian Forces, then it's alarming no one noticed he was was a nutbar until now.

???

How does previous military experience make him a nutbar?

Just a question for all of you out there:  When were you last FingerPrinted?    Right now, unless you are going for a high level Security Clearance, none of you probably have been required to.  So how is an Enhanced Reliability Check going to turn up anything?

George Wallace said:
???

How does previous military experience make him a nutbar?

Just a question for all of you out there:  When were you last FingerPrinted?    Right now, unless you are going for a high level Security Clearance, none of you probably have been required to.  So how is an Enhanced Reliability Check going to turn up anything?

I am guessing he was aways a bit nutty, and it's alarming how no one in his previous military experience had noticed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back