• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lt. Turner, Cpl. Dinning, Bdr. Mansell, and Cpl. Payne Killed- April/ 21/ 2006

Andyd513

Inactive
Reaction score
Just heard it on CTV getting ready to go to the USA thismorning. No news articles on CTV.ca or cbc.ca yet, just heard 4 killed 75 kms outside of Kandahar in a G-Wagon, struck by an IED. They did mention 3 names, didn't catch them. Must be hitting the news-wire websites shortly.

RIP soldiers  :cdn:
Hope there were no more casualties.

It has just been confirmed by DND on CBC Newsworld.
RIP Troops...

May they rest in peace.  May those left behind be comforted with grace and dignity.

To the fallen:  :salute:

Condolences to the loved ones. Courage and best wishes to the troops, keep up the fight.  :cdn:

Photos from http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca.  High res images are available there as well.

Lt William Turner

Bdr Myles Mansell

Cpl Matthew Dinning

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We will remember them.

Another sad day. RIP brave soldiers and thoughts to the family. Will we ever learn, soft skin vehs I shake my head.

3rd Horseman said:
Will we ever learn, soft skin vehs I shake my head.
Bill Gillespie of the CBC radio news said in his report (I believe) that they were the armoured G-Wagens.
*edit*
To confirm, this from the CBC website
The four were travelling in an armoured jeep called a G-wagon when it struck an improvised explosive device, 70 kilometres north of Kandahar city, around 7:30 a.m. local time Saturday.
Source:  http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/04/22/afghanistan-deaths060422.html 22 April 2006, 10:51 a.m. Atlantic Daylight Savings time

MOD NOTE:

LETS AVOID ANY SPECULATION IN THIS THREAD. THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF THESE BRAVE SOLDIERS DESERVE THIS.  THANKS.

...also I know the CBC is watching this thread right now.

Just a question I might have misread or over looked but any word as to which unit(s) these soldiers belonged to IN A-stan?  RIP to the fallen   :salute:  

vonGarvin:  CBC's website reports

The four were travelling in an armoured jeep called a G-wagon when it struck an improvised explosive device, 70 kilometres north of Kandahar city, around 7:30 a.m. local time Saturday.

cbtygunner:  I've seen nothing in the press indicating what unit they belonged to in A-stan.

CF Statement:

http://tinyurl.com/fx6a3

National Defence: Four Canadian Soldiers killed in Afghanistan
APRIL 22, 2006 - 09:04 ET 

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - April 22, 2006) - Four Canadian soldiers were killed when their vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device near Gumbad, approximately 75 kilometres north of Kandahar. The incident occurred at approximately 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 22 (11 p.m. April 21 EDT).

Killed in the incident were:

- Corporal Matthew Dinning, born in Richmond Hill, Ontario, stationed at 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Headquarters, Petawawa, Ontario;

- Bombardier Myles Mansell, born in Victoria, British Columbia, of 5th (British Columbia) Field Regiment, stationed at Victoria, B.C.;

- Lieutenant William Turner, born in Toronto, of Land Force Western Area Headquarters, stationed at Edmonton;

- The identity of the fourth soldier is being withheld at the request of the next-of-kin.

Corporal Dinning, Bombardier Mansell and Lieutenant Turner died at the scene of the blast. The fourth soldier was evacuated by helicopter to Kandahar Airfield where he succumbed to his injuries after undergoing surgery.

All of the soldiers were serving as part of Task Force Afghanistan; their next-of-kin have been notified.

The soldiers were travelling in an armoured "G Wagon" (Gelaendenwagen) vehicle as part of a multi-vehicle convoy when the blast occurred. Immediately after the explosion, Canadian soldiers established a security cordon around the incident site and a medical technician administered immediate first aid. A detailed investigation is being conducted to determine the circumstances of the incident.

Repatriation of the four soldier's remains is now being planned; details will be released as they become available.

Canada's mission in Afghanistan is part of our contribution to the international campaign to help bring stability and security to the people of Afghanistan. The overarching goal is to help the Afghan people achieve peace by preventing their nation from relapsing into a failed state that gives terrorist and terrorist organizations a safe haven.

There are significant risks involved in these operations, but Canadian Forces members are among the best trained, and most experienced soldiers in the world. They are well led, well equipped, and fully prepared for the mission in Afghanistan.

Prior to this incident, 11 members of the Canadian Forces, and a civilian political director from the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, have lost their lives in Afghanistan.

NOTE TO EDITOR:

Photographs of three of the soldiers are available on the Combat Camera website (search under last name) at: http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca 

(Also, I'm adding information as I find it:  http://milnews.ca )

Back