• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cpl. Andrew Grenon, Cpl. Mike Seggie and Pte. Chad Horn - 2 PPCLI - Killed in Kandahar 3 Sep 08- 5 Wounded

OMG. What a day. I am wishing the injured a speedy recovery, RIP boys  :salute: :salute: :salute:

R.I.P boys.  Quite a shock being so close to home.

RIP brother soldiers. Our hearts go out to the families of all.

My heart goes out to the families of our faller brothers. It's another sad day for the CF. Rest now.  :salute:

RIP boys

My condolences to the families and friends

Speedy recovery to the wounded

:( so close to coming home - breaks my heart

muffin

Rest now men, you've earned it. To the families and friends of the fallen, my sincere condolences. to the wounded, get well. Come home. So close to the end of this tour..damn.

Rest in peace.....our condolences to the families and friends of these lads.  A speedy recovery to the wounded.    :salute:

Not sure if this should be a new thread or not  :-\ MODS if needed please move.

Sophistication of deadly Taliban attack concerning: Natynczyk
3 Canadians killed, 5 wounded
Last Updated: Thursday, September 4, 2008 | 8:17 AM ET
CBC News

The complexity of a Taliban attack that claimed the lives of three young Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan on Wednesday is worrisome because of its sophisticated nature, said Canada's top soldier.

Gen. Walter Natynczyk, chief of defence staff, was commenting just hours after Cpl. Andrew Grenon, Cpl. Mike Seggie and Pte. Chad Horn were killed in an insurgent assault on their armoured vehicle while they were on a security patrol in the Zhari district of the southern Kandahar province.

All three were members of the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based in Shilo, Man., and were set to return to Canada as they neared the end of their six-month tour.

Natynczyk said he wasn't sure of all the details, but said it was different than the usual Taliban strategy of using roadside bombs.

"This attack is worrisome in the kind of sophistication of the attack," said Natynczyk.

"We've got great soldiers out there who again will react to this, have a look at it, learn from this and apply those lessons."

The Taliban have claimed that a remotely controlled land mine was used in the attack, said the CBC's Derek Stoffel on Thursday from Kandahar.

"So we are led to believe that there was an ambush after the Canadian soldiers were exiting their ... damaged vehicle and that is perhaps how the three Canadian soldiers were killed," he said.

Taliban stepping up assaults
The attack came in the first week of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, a period that traditionally signalled a reduction in Taliban attacks, Stoffel said.

Attacks are not expected to subside during Ramadan this year, Natynczyk told CBC news.

Instead, there has been an increase in Taliban activity in the past few months, but it's unclear what seems to have triggered a change in the group's tactics, Natynczyk said.

Five Canadian soldiers lost their lives in August, making it the deadliest month of the year for Canadian forces in Afghanistan.

Also last month, 10 French soldiers were killed in a single Taliban ambush outside Kabul, while nine U.S. soldiers lost their lives after an attack in the northeastern Kunar province.

The attacks were among the deadliest levelled against international forces engaged in Afghanistan in more than three years.

"The security situation during this campaign season and the fighting season is tough and we are seeing sophisticated capabilities in terms of training proficiency of the Taliban, not only in our own region but also in the Regional Command East and in Helmand province as well," he said.

"But at the same time we're learning, we're adapting and trying to get ahead of the Taliban."

5 others wounded
Five other soldiers were wounded in the latest attack, one of them critically. Another is in serious condition, while two are in good condition with the last soldier returning to duty after being treated, officials said.

The soldiers who were killed gave their lives in "defence of a worthy mission," said Defence Minister Peter MacKay on Wednesday.

"The Taliban are insidious by their very nature — they kill their own civilians, they use women and children as shields, so intimidation is what they deal in daily," he said.

The deaths of the soldiers brings to 96 the number of Canadian soldiers killed since the mission in Afghanistan began in 2002.

The conflict in Afghanistan has also claimed the lives of 582 U.S. soldiers, 116 British soldiers and 156 soldiers from 19 other countries.

With files from the Canadian Press

Stand easy lads.  :salute: :salute: :salute: 
I was on the road yesterday and just found out.  Oldsolduer we have met as I used to be a Patricia (once is always).  I have no words to express what I feel. There is nothing to assuage a Fathers grief but the knowledge that he was a good soldier and did his family proud.

Condolences to the friends and family.  Speedy recovery to the wounded.

Three killed soldiers sent home from Afghanistan
Last Updated: Thursday, September 4, 2008 | 11:56 AM ET
The Canadian Press

Thousands of soldiers lined the tarmac at Kandahar Airfield at dusk Thursday to salute three young soldiers killed in an ambush Wednesday, just weeks before they were to return home after a difficult tour of duty.

The caskets of Cpl. Andrew Grenon, Cpl. Mike Seggie and Pte. Chad Horn were carried to an awaiting transport plane by 24 teary-eyed pall bearers.

After the ceremony, Pte. Glen Kirkland, one of five soldiers injured in the attack, carefully lifted himself out of a wheelchair and slowly made his way up the ramp to say his final farewell.

The three soldiers, members of the 2nd battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based out of Shilo, Man., were killed in an attack on their armoured vehicle that included some sort of explosion.

The exact nature of the explosion isn't clear, but military officials say it was not a roadside bomb.

They say the explosion was caused by a weapon not seen very often but one Canadian Forces knew the insurgents had in their possession.

The Taliban have claimed that a remotely controlled land mine was used.

Canada has about 2,500 soldiers in Afghanistan, mostly stationed in the volatile southern province of Kandahar. Since the mission began in 2002, 96 Canadian soldiers have been killed.

© The Canadian Press, 2008

NFLD Sapper said:
Three killed soldiers sent home from Afghanistan
Last Updated: Thursday, September 4, 2008 | 11:56 AM ET
The Canadian Press

Thousands of soldiers lined the tarmac at Kandahar Airfield at dusk Thursday to salute three young soldiers killed in an ambush Wednesday, just weeks before they were to return home after a difficult tour of duty.

The caskets of Cpl. Andrew Grenon, Cpl. Mike Seggie and Pte. Chad Horn were carried to an awaiting transport plane by 24 teary-eyed pall bearers.

After the ceremony, Pte. Glen Kirkland, one of five soldiers injured in the attack, carefully lifted himself out of a wheelchair and slowly made his way up the ramp to say his final farewell.

The three soldiers, members of the 2nd battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based out of Shilo, Man., were killed in an attack on their armoured vehicle that included some sort of explosion.

The exact nature of the explosion isn't clear, but military officials say it was not a roadside bomb.

They say the explosion was caused by a weapon not seen very often but one Canadian Forces knew the insurgents had in their possession.

The Taliban have claimed that a remotely controlled land mine was used.

Canada has about 2,500 soldiers in Afghanistan, mostly stationed in the volatile southern province of Kandahar. Since the mission began in 2002, 96 Canadian soldiers have been killed.

© The Canadian Press, 2008

I read first of the 'sophistication' of the attack, and then that part of the new article grabbed my attention. It's rather vague, but my first thought on reading it was an explosively formed projectile. I know we probably won't get specifics confirmed by DND/NATO- but it fits what's been reported thus far. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

01234f4c4e472origqo0.jpg

Canadian Press:  "The Taliban have claimed that a remotely controlled land mine was used."

The only translated version I've been able to find of the Taliban admitting guilt on this one speaks in plural:
Wednesday morning   03-09-2008 at approximately 9 am local, Mujahideen of Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, with remote controlled [size=12pt]landmines blew up a patrolling unit of Canadian invaders army in Ashegho area of Zhari district of Kandahar province. In explosion 12 soldiers terrorists were killed and 5 wounded.. Reported by Qari Muhammad Yousuf[/size]

Then again, based on the the rest of the English version, caveat emptor reader.  More than that, I'm not gonna speculate - just sharin' what's been said....

Back