• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haggis said:
It's been oft rumoured on gun forums and podcasts that the PM is Canada's only CCW permit holder. It wouldn't surprise me as Liberals, like any elite ruling class, are keen to have things and privileges they deny to others

Given his full bodyguard package, that seems bloody unlikely.

Haggis said:
It's been oft rumoured on gun forums and podcasts that the PM is Canada's only CCW permit holder. It wouldn't surprise me as Liberals, like any elite ruling class, are keen to have things and privileges they deny to others

Could he use it to apply blackface? If so, then maybe...

The Prime Minister went from painting his face black to painting documents highlighting his government's corruption black.

Brihard said:

Agreed, but nothing coming out of the the Liberals surprises me anymore.

Brihard said:
Hey, a lot of the internet was ablaze when it found out the RCMP Commissioner and Morneau were related, so it must be true if it's on the interwebs ;)

Halifax Tar said:
Its brilliant in my opinion.  Its very forward thinking.  They are spending us into oblivion and providing cake and circus to the unwashed masses, who in turn have become addicted to the free money and a free and easy lifestyle.  Now try to be the follow on Gov that wants to come in and clean this up.  You'd be considered the son of Satan.

Its brilliant IMHO.  They have created a system of setting any future fiscally responsible Gov's up for failure and quick return for them. 

If I were the Con's I wouldn't want to win an election for at least the next two cycles, in fact I would ensure we remain strong in opposition but ensure we don't win.  Let the Libs fester in this.

Welcome to the failings of democracy. When to many people not invested in the system start making decisions that control the system it will eventually fall apart. Democracy only works if the citizenry are responsible, historically this was controlled by ensuring only certain people could vote (land owners for example). Watching the last few elections it seems the parties are less focused on responsibility, and more on what they will give to the people.

I'm not really sure what people wanted to happen. The government made the decision to shut down the economy, to bankrupt business and unemploy people. There were people on this site for all intent's cheering that decision. Everyday for over 6 months we have been innundated with views on how dangerous the virus is. I personally know people that have lost significant money because of this in the restaurant/entertainment industry and resulting loss of employment. Has the government's(both federal and provincial) been bungled? Of course, but I have yet to see anyone espouse a credible alternative

suffolkowner said:
I'm not really sure what people wanted to happen. The government made the decision to shut down the economy, to bankrupt business and unemploy people. There were people on this site for all intent's cheering that decision. Everyday for over 6 months we have been innundated with views on how dangerous the virus is. I personally know people that have lost significant money because of this in the restaurant/entertainment industry and resulting loss of employment. Has the government's(both federal and provincial) been bungled? Of course, but I have yet to see anyone espouse a credible alternative

Considering most western advanced nations have done similar things...

The credible alternative is the Swedish one.  The noteworthy thing isn't that Sweden didn't do a lot better; the noteworthy thing is that Sweden didn't do a lot worse.

My big problem with the whole time is that all the politicians, public health officials etc are on the PUBLIC payroll. They are getting paid regardless. Full salaries for them (all pensionable time, right?), and two grand for everyone else. Not the end of the world for a month or two, but the longer they try to drag that on, I see it as an attempt to re-purpose (even weaponize) the virus against the middle class and small business owners etc.

I'm fine with it as long as the politicians and bureaucrats (not talking front line public employees) cut their pay & benefits down at the same time. The moment I see that happen, I'll be happy to defer to their "expert" opinions. In the meantime, I will remain at least somewhat skeptical of the motives behind some decisions being made.

reveng said:
My big problem with the whole time is that all the politicians, public health officials etc are on the PUBLIC payroll. They are getting paid regardless. Full salaries for them (all pensionable time, right?), and two grand for everyone else. Not the end of the world for a month or two, but the longer they try to drag that on, I see it as an attempt to re-purpose (even weaponize) the virus against the middle class and small business owners etc.

I'm fine with it as long as the politicians and bureaucrats (not talking front line public employees) cut their pay & benefits down at the same time. The moment I see that happen, I'll be happy to defer to their "expert" opinions. In the meantime, I will remain at least somewhat skeptical of the motives behind some decisions being made.

Would you expect the politicians and bureaucrats to stop working?  Because the people getting 2k aren’t actually working.  And what would be the purpose of attacking the middle class?  To what end?

Remius said:
Would you expect the politicians and bureaucrats to stop working?  Because the people getting 2k aren’t actually working.  And what would be the purpose of attacking the middle class?  To what end?

I didn't say anything about having government employees stop working, I just said the compensation of politicians and certain senior decision makers should be adjusted in solidarity with those less fortunate. Everyone should share the pain. As for your last question, I think there are some that want to make people MORE dependent on the government, not less. For a variety of reasons, some discussed in this thread already, and others that I don't feel like posting - respectfully.

I get that you're probably a PS employee of some kind, and I have no issue with you. In fact, I fully support you. I know you're just trying to do your job, provide for your family, and live your life. You aren't trying to call the shots or trying to force an ideology. I'm happy to agree to disagree on this, as at the time I logged in today, we still had that right here in Canada.

V/r

Edited for clarity, not the best writer.

Liberals say creation of anti-corruption committee would have confidence implications
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberals-say-creation-of-anti-corruption-committee-would-have-confidence-implications-1.5151017?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3Actvnews%3Apost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Sure frigging would lol

reveng said:
I didn't say anything about having government employees stop working, I just said the compensation of politicians and certain senior decision makers should be adjusted in solidarity with those less fortunate. Everyone should share the pain. As for your last question, I think there are some that want to make people MORE dependent on the government, not less. For a variety of reasons, some discussed in this thread already, and others that I don't feel like posting - respectfully.

I get that you're probably a PS employee of some kind, and I have no issue with you. In fact, I fully support you. I know you're just trying to do your job, provide for your family, and live your life. You aren't trying to call the shots or trying to force an ideology. I'm happy to agree to disagree on this, as at the time I logged in today, we still had that right here in Canada.

V/r

Edited for clarity, not the best writer.

I never mentioned ps employees either.  Only bureaucrats and politicians.

Not sure what you interpreted.  :dunno:

Brad Sallows said:
The credible alternative is the Swedish one.  The noteworthy thing isn't that Sweden didn't do a lot better; the noteworthy thing is that Sweden didn't do a lot worse.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much is that, despite Sweden not having an official lockdown, lots of Swedes just looked at it, said 'F that' and stayed home anyway. Their death rate is also more then double Canada's (58.4 per 100k vice 24.6).

Aside from social distancing, aggressive test/trace and effective quarantine where really effective at keeping the spread down, but where you look at a population that already is used to wearing masks for pollution or flu season, then half the battle is won.

We have arseclowns that still think the earth is flat, vaccines cause autism and there is a pedo pizza chain operating a shadowy cabal, so you can never discount the idiot factor to keeping the spread, but things like population age, average health, and all kinds of other things affect it the spread as well. Really hard to say that we would have had double the deaths if we'd gone the same route (instead of more then or less then double). But all things being equal, I guess you could say this is the cost of about 10, 000 lives, plus another 200k with some percentage of long term damage. As well, if we hit a point of overwhelming the medical system there would have been a bunch of other deaths that would have been avoidable otherwise, so it likely would have been worse overall.

Jarnhamar said:
Liberals say creation of anti-corruption committee would have confidence implications
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberals-say-creation-of-anti-corruption-committee-would-have-confidence-implications-1.5151017?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3Actvnews%3Apost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Sure frigging would lol

It fits with the growing rumblings in the city that the Liberals are maneuvering for an early-Spring ‘21 election.  :nod:

>lots of Swedes just looked at it, said 'F that' and stayed home anyway.

Exactly.  Relatively little compulsion required.

Really says it all about our government doesn't it.

Liberals threaten to call election if Parliament passes 'anti-corruption' committee motion
The Liberals are threatening to send Canadians to the polls if Parliament passes an opposition motion to create an “anti-corruption” committee, calling the Conservative proposal “ultra-partisan” and “irresponsible.”
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/liberals-threaten-to-call-election-if-parliament-passes-anti-corruption-committee-motion/ar-BB1abCqQ?li=AAggNb9

They're against an anti-corruption committee. That speaks volumes, at least they're not beating around the bush anymore.

Jarnhamar said:
Really says it all about our government doesn't it.

Liberals threaten to call election if Parliament passes 'anti-corruption' committee motion
The Liberals are threatening to send Canadians to the polls if Parliament passes an opposition motion to create an “anti-corruption” committee, calling the Conservative proposal “ultra-partisan” and “irresponsible.”
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/liberals-threaten-to-call-election-if-parliament-passes-anti-corruption-committee-motion/ar-BB1abCqQ?li=AAggNb9

They're against an anti-corruption committee. That speaks volumes, at least they're not beating around the bush anymore.

Not even trying to pretend that this a democracy any more. Outright contempt for the people of this country and their future.

Target Up said:
Not even trying to pretend that this a democracy any more. Outright contempt for the people of this country and their future.

Go ahead JT, call an election.  Do it. 

Your ego might be a wee bit surprised at how far you've fallen since you were first elected...

Or, save the taxpayers the money & the hassle, and just walk off the job.  Accomplish the same outcome with significantly less hassle. 

:2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back