• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Landmines in Ont.

whiskey601 said:
I live about 7 km's away from the site of the mines. From what I understand from a friend, the mines may have been there for a while, and we are very lucky because kids play in that area all the time, and often throw boulders in the water to make a splash. I surmise that they found them because the water is quite low due to our semi-drought in these parts.  The news is reporting the mines were somehow connected to a timing device, which is quite troubling- maybe the mines were recently planted,the questions are by who and why?

just read the article from the london newspaper. They do suspect they were recently placed, and are asking for any witnesses  who may have noticed anything strange lately.

It is rather disturbing. Why place two mines in a quiet area where kids play? Can you imagine the horror that could have happened there? I shudder at the thought. Where exactly does one even accuire a land mine? Its not a casual purchase. I hope they find the person.

karl28 said:
           Thankfully no one was hurt in this . by the sounds of the article its close by to  CFB borden and some site member's have provide links showing that this might be a WW2 mine  any chance this park was used for Training back in WW2 ?         

Actually, it's not really that close to Borden.

karl28 said:
           Thankfully no one was hurt in this . by the sounds of the article its close by to  CFB borden and some site member's have provide links showing that this might be a WW2 mine  any chance this park was used for Training back in WW2 ?         

"The area has no history of a weapons storage depot, Overdulve said." Sgt Overdulve Strathroy-Caradoc police.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/08/05/ont-bomb-disposal.html

formerarmybrat23  and beach_bum
                   Thanks for the info was hoping that maby these where just forgotten over time  like that V1 rocket they found in  London early this month .

I might be way off here but...
Wouldnt using an Anti-tank mine in the hope of blowing up children be a bit of a silly idea? I mean, i was under the impression that anti-tank mines required a fair bit of weight on them to set them off.
Am i wrong in this or does it not matter with older mines?
Its still a very scary undertaking for someone to carry out. Its a sick and twisted mind that decides to mine a creek used by children.

i read in another article that there was also bridge where the mines were found, that is heavily used by those commuting to london.

formerarmybrat23 said:
i read in another article that there was also bridge where the mines were found, that is heavily used by those commuting to london.

Link to the article please.

Here it says
http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/243353
A second device was discovered yesterday morning, about two metres from the first and 15 centimetres under water, by two members of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit, who arrived from CFB Borden yesterday morning.

and

Police contained a one-kilometre area around the scene and conducted an extensive search for any other devices. They found nothing else, and deemed the area safe around 8 p.m. "I'm glad to say it's secure," acting Sgt. Mike McGuire said.

McGuire noted this was not the first time Strathroy-Caradoc police have been called in to deal with military ordnances found in the area.

"We've had a few over the years, people having an ordnance in their home after serving in (a past war)," he said.

Hale said:
I might be way off here but...
Wouldnt using an Anti-tank mine in the hope of blowing up children be a bit of a silly idea? I mean, i was under the impression that anti-tank mines required a fair bit of weight on them to set them off.
Its still a very scary undertaking for someone to carry out. Its a sick and twisted mind that decides to mine a creek used by children.

After the detonation, the explosives experts found debris "consistent with timers," he said.

They were not pressure set, but with timers.

dileas

tess

Hale said:
i was under the impression that anti-tank mines required a fair bit of weight on them to set them off.

Indeed......that being said however:

When i served on my first tour in Croatia in 1995 as a field engineer we were breifed, and late found, AT mines that had been turned into AP mines.  This isnt hard to do let me tell you !!! I dont want to go into details on how this is done, so dont ask.

If the reports described here are accurate and these devices were on a timer, then that's a very disheartening sign of the times we live in. If this does turn out to be the case one can only hope the authorities track down the oxygen thief who placed them.

All that said good work to the EOD gang from Borden on cleaning these up. :salute: Braver troops than I

It's dead easy to mod a mine, just ask our recycled tractor tire sandal wearing friends.  The pressure exerted by a human running at top speed can cause an A/Tk mine to function if the plate is depressed in just the right way.

Roger, thanks for the clarification.
Someone needs to definately have a chat to the coppers and spend a little time in a cell i think.
Very scary thing to attempt to do to others.

Who said it was safer at home?

At least in theatre, you know you have to be vigilant - while over here, you aren't much
and your kids are entirely ignorant of the dangers that lurk.

Its not a common thing though is it? I mean, you dont hear mothers saying to their kids "Now timmy, look after your sister and make sure you dont step on those land mines on the way to school".
Thankfully neither Canada nor Australia are like that, but unfortunately for millions around the world i guess life is like that. Can you imagine having children in Africa or the middle east and actually having to teach them to look out for anti-pers mines and cluster bombs?

Thats why the person who did this really needs to be severely dealt with i suppose, because our countries arent like that and never should be. Anyone who thinks about doing something like this needs, to quote Paracowboy, "To kneel and face the ditch".

Unfortunately, our civilisation would never do that.  The perp has his rights?!?

I would venture to think that, if someone cobbled together a timer for their detonation, the perp felt that he had something to prove to the public......

Wait for it, this one will probably be a doozie

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=40f927ea-8baa-4b69-87a9-5fb3c5028ba7&k=76943

Sgt. Mike Overdulve of the town's police service said the community of about 20,000 is breathing a collective sigh of relief. "There was a definite possiblity that a child ... could have detonated it," he said. "It certainly rocks the community."

Police cordoned off the area before the military experts  destroyed the mines in a controlled explosion. The debris is to be examined to determine the make and age of the mines, perhaps leading to an explanation why weapons associated with Afghanistan and the Balkans wound up in suburban Ontario.

Overdulve speculated that the mines could have been from someone's private collection of war heirlooms. "It's indicative of someone discarding the mines from the nearby roadway," he said

Hale said:
i was under the impression that anti-tank mines required a fair bit of weight on them to set them off.

Not necessary. The Chinese produced an AT mine that could be detonated by someone stepping on it. The North Vietnamese used them against US forces during the Vietnam War.

Here the latest update:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/08/06/4397110-sun.html

Apparently, it appears that an timer of some type was attached to the mines.

I guess it is still too early for tests to have been done on the mines? It sounds as if some kids found them in Grandpa's footlocker and decided to play silly f..kers! I just love to blame it all on kids!

Back