• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Landmines in Ont.

Lets let the media play name what mine this is.

I'll try and take a look through the mine database at work tomorrow (if it is still working  ::)) and see what I can find.

NL_engineer said:
I'll try and take a look through the mine database at work tomorrow

Pfffftttt.........all we ever needed was a decent FMP and a line level

You kids these days  ::)

CDN Aviator said:
Pfffftttt.........all we ever needed was a decent FMP and a line level

You kids these days  ::)

And those days are coming to an end, seeing more and more stuff is being put on computers (mines, EOD, Etc) ;D

If that is an actual photo of the mine, then my suspicions have been correct.  There is no hole for a primer/fuse/detonator/etc on the top and it is a solid casing all around.  Probably with a screw on the bottom, so that it can be filled with sand, and perhaps a wire carrying handle.  Most Engineers, Crewmen (especially Assault Troopers), Pioneers, and Infanteers would be familiar with these practice mines in the last 50 or so years.  Many Reserve Units had them also.  They were held by many units in limited numbers for training purposes.  Some may have also gone AWOL over the past 60 years, pilfered by 'collectors'.  Guess someone decided they didn't need them in their 'collection' anymore.  Not a very bright way to dispose of them.  Someone could have been seriously hurt in the confusion, or in the actual distruction of them by the use of real explosives. 

I suppose the point should be made to anyone who is a "collector" that they should turn their stuff into the proper authorities, or if small enough, put them in one of the "Amnesty Boxes" found on most CF Bases.  Ammo Techs can attest to the numbers of cases each year where they are called to 'dispose of' someone's collection of live and/or inert ammo from previous years/wars.

Was this another case of someone who shouldn't be in the gene pool?  Guess, we will never know.

I am not sure if the EOD Tech would high order a device if it was full of sand therefore I doubt that they were inert. Time will tell!

I hear what you are saying, and would venture to think that they would have done so as a precautionary act. 

And actually George, I stand corrected. I have a pal who works as a EOD Tech, in a location close by whose unit responded. He said they weren't landmines. I just got off the phone with him.

FWIW, if the devices have been in the ground some 50 or 60 yrs, there is a good probability that any paint applied by the manufacturer is long gone - thus, it's a rusty hunk of metal with few identifiable details.
Most EOD types would err on the side of caution when dealing with such a thing and, it was MUCH easier to set a charge to detonate the darned thing and pick over the pieces afterwards.

IMHO

Okay now that the mystery has been solved everyone can climb off their high horses and continue normal activities,at first glance it was pretty much obvious they were inert,as in most cases such as this. The  fear mongering by the so called experts here and in the press is quite funny but unnecessary.

And speaking of fear mongering the tin foil hat brigades contributions and thoughts on this are amusing. You almost get the feeling they were disappointed when the truth came out..... all that time and effort wasted on nasty Right Wing Government conspiracies.  ::)

http://www.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=009491

Danjanou said:
And speaking of fear mongering the tin foil hat brigades contributions and thoughts on this are amusing. You almost get the feeling they were disappointed when the truth came out..... all that time and effort wasted on nasty Right Wing Government conspiracies.  ::)

http://www.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=009491

Yes it's amazing how the imagination of a few can add speculative details to an event. The truth is that many times the  EOD team from Borden would respond to calls knowing the item was likely inert. ( I know...I used to be a member on it...) That being said, the procedures in place do not allow shortcuts or chances to be taken as various individuals have been known to apply their internet search knowledge to modify & add various energetic substances to inert trg aids. In this case the items were in a stream which. as you can imagine, complicated the team's ability to examine the mine in a useful way with the various tools/devices that are carried. It all comes down to how much time do we (the team) want to spend to find out what we suspect we already know. As was already said, the quickest solution to make the problem go away was to hit them with a suitable quantity of explosive and then pick up the pieces to analysis later; cordon down, area safe, everyone happy....

My 2 cents....

Jim

Jim I agree, I just have to laugh at how the moonbat brigade are so desperate to grasp onto any little pretext that puts the present Government and/or the military in a bad light. ::)

Good Lord! I hope that rabble babble site isn't indicative of the average mental level sitting behind keyboards in this country! Scary!  I doubt that even if the CF or the OPP was to provide detailed results of the analysis, these folks would see it as anything other than a "sinister government cover-up!" Amazing how these pinheads almost never take the time to reason something through and realize how pointless/unlikely/obscure those types of theories usually are.

Cheers

Back