• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Landmines in Ont.

herseyjh

Inactive
Reaction score
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/08/05/4394957-sun.html

Surprised to read about this.  From the picture I am trying to work out what type of mine it is.

According to the article the mines were 7 cm thick and 25 cm across. That would make it an anti-tank mine. 

I saw that on CTV last night, pretty scary. I wonder how they got there.

herseyjh said:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/08/05/4394957-sun.html

Surprised to read about this.  From the picture I am trying to work out what type of mine it is.

I'm no expert but from the picture it looks like maybe an M6A2 or M15?  My first impression was that it looked like a training mine, you know, no real defining features.  Any thoughts?

Looks more like an old British Mk 7 A/Tk mine to my failing eyes and fading memory.

Kat Stevens said:
Looks more like an old British Mk 7 A/Tk mine to my failing eyes and fading memory.

I would agree with you there......

CDN Aviator said:
I would agree with you there......

About the eyes and memory, or the mine?  ;D

It can't be a mine; we outlawed mines. (Hangun banners take note.)

Sarcasm meter off.

PMed said:
I'm no expert but from the picture it looks like maybe an M6A2 or M15?  My first impression was that it looked like a training mine, you know, no real defining features.  Any thoughts?

If I remember correctly from my basic training many moons ago, practice mines were painted blue and had holes through them.

I live about 7 km's away from the site of the mines. From what I understand from a friend, the mines may have been there for a while, and we are very lucky because kids play in that area all the time, and often throw boulders in the water to make a splash. I surmise that they found them because the water is quite low due to our semi-drought in these parts.  The news is reporting the mines were somehow connected to a timing device, which is quite troubling- maybe the mines were recently planted,the questions are by who and why?

Retired AF Guy said:
If I remember correctly from my basic training many moons ago, practice mines were painted blue and had holes through them.

Not all of them. I have a green butterfly and I left a couple of other green replicas with a program I ran for awhile. As for finding an 'old' mine this does not surprise me in the least. Depending on where you live in Canada some have a better chance than others. As for me I will wait for the rest of the story to come out.

Old Sweat said:
It can't be a mine; we outlawed mines. (Hangun banners take note.)

Sarcasm meter off.

Ummm.....we stopped using anti pers mines, nothing about anti tank      ;)

As for the authenticity of the mines in the pictures, I'll leave that to the Engineers on this site to discuss. Mind you I (and many other here) have trained with dummy and practice mines in the past and they have been painted either blue or gold with "DUMMY" in either white or black.

Regards

Somerville Ltd did make shell casings during the war (WWII), I cannot find any other info in regards to training grounds other than the fact that a lot of troops boarded trains there headed east during the war (WWII).
The government contracted most of the major industries to produce supplies for the War. In Strathroy, the Woolen Mills produced blankets for the troops and in 1943, the government bought 95% of the Mills’ blankets. Somerville Ltd., which had produced shipping tubes before the war, began making shells.

"I'm sure a lot of our older citizens are going to feel saddened," said David
Goode, former curator of the Strathroy-Middlesex Museum. "During both World
Wars, that is where our soldiers departed and it's where they arrived home."

http://www.sydenhamdiscovery.ca/english/index.asp
http://www.railfan.net/lists/rshsdepot-digest/200403/msg00071.html

Edit: I highly doubt this is some kind of "terrorist plot".

Blue & Gold are NATO standards for training & inert.  Anything older may have fully different meanings.

Blue can still kill or maim.  Blue is training & not necessarily inert.

Recce By Death said:
Ummm.....we stopped using anti pers mines, nothing about anti tank      ;)

As for the authenticity of the mines in the pictures, I'll leave that to the Engineers on this site to discuss. Mind you I (and many other here) have trained with dummy and practice mines in the past and they have been painted either blue or gold with "DUMMY" in either white or black.

Regards

I can attest to those colours being accurate in todays training and I also have trained on a live canadian mine and it was different than the practice one.

MCG said:
Blue & Gold are NATO standards for training & inert.  Anything older may have fully different meanings.

Blue can still kill or maim.  Blue is training & not necessarily inert.

Except when you get the Warsaw Pact mine kits, all the mines are dummy and are blue

Thankfully no one was hurt in this . by the sounds of the article its close by to  CFB borden and some site member's have provide links showing that this might be a WW2 mine  any chance this park was used for Training back in WW2 ?         

Back