• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Killing Canadians 'best way': student

we should start a new reality tv show called "so you want to be a terrist?" where we round up all people of his ilk, and airdrop them into a taliban stronghold so they can put their money where their mouth is.

I'm sure once the harsh reality hits they'll change their tune, if they get a chance.

I don't think it would last more than 3 or 4 episodes though, I'm sure the supply of vocal extremist wannabe's would dry up fast.

Roy Harding said:
To whom do you refer?

If to me, you and I will take it to PMs

I certainly didn't read it that way.  As I see it he refers to Salman Hossain, "our newest fan", as a potential NDP candidate.

You NDP???

Naaaah!

Roy Harding said:
It disturbs me to watch people, who I otherwise think well of and respect, call for vigilante action.  Surely we're above that - surely we've all fought for better than such tripe?  Surely, we aren't the same as "them"?

While many other have advocated vigilante action, I did not advocate it either. If my first post could be construded as such, my mistake, although I believe my second one is a far bit clearly. While my first was less articulate, I was essentially trying to advocate harsher punishments (or any punishments at all) for actions that often go un or under punished.

I appologize as well for telling you to grow up. I was, as CSA pointed out, a little hot under the collar.

I personally think hes just an ignorant loud mouth who thinks he knows it all. Its sad but things like this go on everyday. Going to highschool (I was in grade 10) on one Rememberance Day memorial a peer of mine blurted out during the moment of silence "This is stupid! Why do we have to stand for some dead white guy who never did notin' for me!" I felt like replying "Its cause of "that dead white guy" that you and your family were able to move here and are not yelling Seige Heil" ....Of course that gets you one on one time with her 20 something boyfriend and 10 of his friends.

Another instance was when I saw a group of students who were of a Asian decent yelling in the high school parking lot....while urinating on and setting fire to an American flag.

I think some of these people are just ignorant. Its funny when you try and have a discussion on the war and such and "why we are there" they are the first ones to say we shouldnt because "they never did anything to us." Then you mention the 24 Canadians killed in 9/11, and the plot to bomb a subway station and its almost as if its a universal automated response because the next thing they say is "well thats the US's fault....if they didnt open their mouths and attack everybody." At that point I just dont bother because like they say "You cant fix stupid."

If ignorance is bliss....depression must be on a down fall.

NCdt Lumber said:
While many other have advocated vigilante action, I did not advocate it either. If my first post could be construded as such, my mistake, although I believe my second one is a far bit clearly. While my first was less articulate, I was essentially trying to advocate harsher punishments (or any punishments at all) for actions that often go un or under punished.

I appologize as well for telling you to grow up. I was, as CSA pointed out, a little hot under the collar.

Fair enough.

This is a subject which gets all of us hot under the collar.

Ain't it great that we can discuss the whole thing, including making inflammatory remarks (and I include myself here), without fear?

Roy Harding said:
Fair enough.

This is a subject which gets all of us hot under the collar.

Ain't it great that we can discuss the whole thing, including making inflammatory remarks (and I include myself here), without fear?

I like even more then that, how when peoples tempers do get heated, we can all pull back, take a breather, and handle it like mature adults too! one more reason why I like this place so much.  ;D

I have alot of things Id like to see done with this mouth breather...

That being said, I'll leave it to the RCMP to do their Job and hopefully this twerp will just fade into obscurity..... and if he's reading this, then I have this to say to him.

"Thank you for Validating my Job. because of clowns like you, I know what I do for a living is working..."

but I still wouldnt P*** on him if he was on fire.....

Regards
      Tommy

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
He's harmless because he's vocal about it.  
He is an attention junkie, and if he stops feeling his fill on the attention he's drawing then he may very well become dangerous.  I would hope that public endorsements of violence on Canadian soldiers are sufficient to detain somebody on a national security ticket.  If he’s not locked up by the RCMP, we may not get warning when he slips into that need for more attention and so acts on his preaching.

milnewstbay said:
He covers his six (only a bit) in another thread apparently posted later:
That he is going to great lengths to show that he is not trying to encourage acts of violence, it suggest to me that he knows (and wants for) his postings to have an effect of inspiring somebody to violence.  He may as well wrap-up with a “Know what I mean? Know what I mean?  Wink wink, nudge nudge. Know what I mean?”

Haggis said:
I certainly didn't read it that way.  As I see it he refers to Salman Hossain, "our newest fan", as a potential NDP candidate.

You NDP???

Naaaah!

I'll pull in my horns.

the 48th regulator said:
Was that after you read this post....

dileas

tess

No I read the first few posts and went out looking for it.  My bad.  There is also a facebook group out there for his expulsion from UofT.

TheHead said:
No I read the first few posts and went out looking for it.  My bad.  There is also a facebook group out there for his expulsion from UofT.

Where do we sign up? I'm sure many here would like to see that too.

The bumper of my surburban may be able to fix this guys attitude...

This guy is a terrorist like white bois in the burbs who wear baggy clothing and listen to rap are bloods.
He is a terrorist like people who say "we should nuke the middle east" are right wing.
This guys a poser, we have given him too much attention already.
Im sure the real terrorists see him either as a joke or as someone who is stupid and can be manipulated.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act, is an opinion piece by Lorne Gunter from the National Post with which I fully agree:

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/story.html?id=278535&p=2
The right to be loathsome
Censoring Hossain would be just as unprincipled as censoring Levant or Steyn

Lorne Gunter, National Post  Published: Friday, February 01, 2008

The tough thing about free speech is that the only true test of one's belief in it comes from defending those one most vehemently opposes -- not merely those one agrees with. The case of Salman Hossain, a Bangladeshi-Canadian university student from Mississauga, Ont., illustrates my point.

This past Monday, I penned a column castigating Canada's politically correct bureaucrats, politicians and human rights investigators for abandoning the free-speech tenets of Western civilization in the face of a few loud complaints made by radical Islamists against writers they felt had slighted their faith. Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn are two prominent victims of this "suicide by tolerance," whereby governments and human rights commissions permit the desire of favoured interest groups not to be offended to trump our ancient and immutable right to free speech.

Then on Wednesday, the National Post's Stewart Bell exposed Mr. Hossain as a troop-hating, terrorist-sympathizing pimple who has recently been posting Internet death wishes against Canadian soldiers, civilians and politicians.

Many readers put two and two together -- my Monday column and Stewart's Wednesday article -- and wrote me saying, "You were right about our elites' unwillingness to defend our traditions, just look at the way they are refusing to act against Salman Hossain." But, frankly, that's not what I meant at all.

Mr. Hossain's remarks are vile -- both disturbed and disturbing. He has argued that the "best way" to get our troops out of Afghanistan is a "mass casualty" terror attack on Canadian civilians or soldiers here in Canada. "Canadian soldiers in Canadian soil," are "legitimate" targets for "Muslim militants." Our casualties in Afghanistan are "well deserved" because "if we could have enough of our soldiers killed, then we'd be forced to withdraw."

When police in Germany last year arrested Muslim militants plotting to blow up the Ram-stein Air Base, Mr. Hossain called them his "German brothers" and crowed, "We should do that here in Canada as well. Kill as many Western soldiers as well so that they think twice before entering foreign countries on behalf of their Jew masters." And when Defence Minister Peter MacKay was visiting troops in Afghanistan at Christmas, he wrote on a chat site, "I pray that the Taliban kill our MacKay motherf---er."

Mr. Hossain's worldview is repugnant. His arguments cannot go unanswered. But the instinct to arrest him for his views is as much a threat to free speech as the willingness of Canada's various human rights witch-hunters to bully Messrs. Levant and Steyn into silence.

My number-one point about free speech is: We don't want state functionaries determining which political opinions are and are not legitimate to express. In order to prevent your opinions and mine from being deemed illegitimate some day, we must today permit Salman Hossain to indulge in his malevolent rantings.

While he comes close to counselling others to commit criminal acts, he never quite crosses the line into incitement of a criminal offence. If he ever did, we have laws to deal with that, and he should be prosecuted under them to their full extent. But so far, this cheerleader for murder, dismemberment and mayhem has merely revelled in a desire for violence, he hasn't actually plotted to commit any or have others commit some.

In one of the most important free-speech cases to be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court -- 1969's Brandenburg vs. Ohio -- Clarence Brandenburg, a Ku Klux Klan leader with views comparable to Mr. Hossain's in their de-testability -- was acquitted of "advocating … crime, sabotage, violence or unlawful methods of terrorism" after giving speeches calling for "revengeance" against blacks and Jews. As the justices unanimously agreed, free speech could only be curtailed when it degenerated into "incitement to imminent lawless action." Government "cannot constitutionally punish abstract advocacy of force or law violation."

Our governments would be failing our Western traditions if they refused to surveil Mr. Hossain. His obnoxious writings have earned him police suspicion of his potential to commit terrorism or spur on those who would. But governments would also be weakening the rights of all of us if they tried to shut up this hateful creature before he crossed the line into criminal conspiracy.

lgunter@shaw.ca

The keys points are:

• “the instinct to arrest him [Hossain] for his views is as much a threat to free speech as the willingness of Canada's various human rights witch-hunters to bully Messrs. Levant and Steyn into silence”;

• “We don't want state functionaries determining which political opinions are and are not legitimate to express;” amd

• “governments would also be weakening the rights of all of us if they tried to shut up this hateful creature before he crossed the line into criminal conspiracy.”

There are far too many “summer soldiers” in the war for our fundamental freedoms. In their zeal to shield our Jewish friends from further hate-filled lies (the lies that lead to a Holocaust) the “human rights” industry has seriously eroded our fundamental values – the ones that, in the final analysis, distinguished us (and distinguish us still) from the fascists and Nazis and Marxist-Leninists. We need real protectors of our “human rights” – people who will defend the most odious amongst us, until they actually break the law.

In my view, most of the comments on this thread are from the “sunshine patriots” - those who do not really understand or support our fundamental human rights.

----------

"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country;
but he that stands it Now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict the more glorius the triumph."

Thomas Paine, The Crisis -- December 1776[/b]

Edward:  I had just read that piece and was preparing to post it here - but you beat me to it.

All:  Mr. Campbell (and Mr. Gunter) has stated my position on this issue beautifully.  As usual - he did it in a much more eloquent and logical manner than my own poor attempts.

the 48th regulator said:
You lost me here, why do you wonder that??

dileas

tess

I think the man wouldn't last a second saying crap like that in the States! (excluding California maybe)

OberstSteiner said:
I think the man wouldn't last a second saying crap like that in the States! (excluding California maybe)

Actually - I think he'd have a better chance of being heard there.  The Americans I know take their individual rights (enshrined in their Constitution) EXTREMELY seriously.  He'd also be ATTACKED more vociferously - but I doubt there'd be an HRC star chamber waiting in the sidelines to silence him.

E.R. Campbell said:
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/story.html?id=278535&p=2
The keys points are:

• “the instinct to arrest him [Hossain] for his views is as much a threat to free speech as the willingness of Canada's various human rights witch-hunters to bully Messrs. Levant and Steyn into silence”;

• “We don't want state functionaries determining which political opinions are and are not legitimate to express;” amd

• “governments would also be weakening the rights of all of us if they tried to shut up this hateful creature before he crossed the line into criminal conspiracy.”

Hold on... Levant and Steyn haven't advocated killing anyone. They haven't tied themselves to fundamental terrorist ideology. Why is the threat or incitement of violence against identifiable groups any less dangerous than the unlawful threat against an individual? While I am not in favour of vigilante justice or HR inquisitions, surely we as a society can't feel content to ignore him, sweep him under the rug for our self-gratifying, all holds-barred view of free speech. Who was he talking to when he made these coments? Under what context? Shouldn't some of these questions be examined before he is either condemned or ignored for what he is?

Blindspot said:
Hold on... Levant and Steyn haven't advocated killing anyone. They haven't tied themselves to fundamental terrorist ideology. Why is the threat or incitement of violence against identifiable groups any less dangerous than the unlawful threat against an individual? While I am not in favour of vigilante justice or HR inquisitions, surely we as a society can't feel content to ignore him, sweep him under the rug for our self-gratifying, all holds-barred view of free speech. Who was he talking to when he made these coments? Under what context? Shouldn't some of these questions be examined before he is either condemned or ignored for what he is?

No - we as a society SHOULDN'T ignore him, or sweep him under the rug.  NOR should we be so ready to remove his freedoms just because of what he MIGHT do.  By that standard, we'd ALL be in jail.

I don't condone what this guy is reported to have said - but as far as those concerned are aware, he has not (yet) broken any identifiable laws.

True freedom involves risks - and one of those risks is that someone advocating armed insurrection may well actually attempt it.  But the risk involved is generally considered acceptable - given the restraint on freedom inherent in condemning what people may think.

I think it is this acceptance of risk, and refusal to condemn people for what they think, that separates "us" from "them".

Is such tolerance dangerous?  Absolutely.  Is it necessary?  Only if one wants to continue to live in a liberal democracy.

Back