• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry wearing black berets?

grayman said:
Why not do like some highland units and place a square peice of their tartan behind the capbadge, but instead of tartan a square of rifle green felt so we as grunts and gunners can differentiate ouselves from the ARMD but at the same time keep the zipperheads happy by wearing "their" beret.
Personally, I just look at the cap brass, isn't that what everyone else does?

I did my Leo D&M with B Sqn, VIII CH in Lahr in '90.  On the last day, I showed up in a black beret with engineer hatbadge sewed on.  Course WO (Stumpy Smith) absolutely went apoplectic.  Good for schitz und giggles.  Now they're making green beanies change....

But there in lies the rub, Kat.   You weren't posted into the unit, but these guys are.    Nice try though.    ;D

Either way, you're going to have dissenters. All the reasons for and against have been stated, but some have refused to recognise there is nothing they can do about it, and will dig in their heels. I can only imagine if the "beret was on the other head" and the Armoured guys had to go to the Infantry, and change hats. It'd be "you zipperheads are a bunch of whiners, suck it up buttercup." Don't you think that we have enough problems trying to fight doctrine etc with the desk pilots and Combat Team Rideau, without acting like spoiled schoolyard children over the colour of the beret you have to wear? After all, it's not about what's on your head, it's about what's really in your heart, and what you want to do with it.

I can only imagine if the "beret was on the other head" and the Armoured guys had to go to the Infantry,
Unfortunately recceguy, in all honesty, I could not see the tankers switching hats, nor would I want them to. That is a tradition within their corps, I couldn't care less what colour hat someone is wearing, as long as they could get me from point A to point B, in the most efficient and tacticaly sound way. But that will never happen, tankers ferrying around infantrymen in a LAV III, or will it..... ;D

It might, somewhere down the line. It's been bandied about before and seems to work fine for some other forces our size. But that's the point isn't it. Let's discuss something meaningful and try work together towards a solution beneficial to both of us, that can be put forward and tried. Instead of sitting around like a bunch of schoolgirls moaning about the colour of your easter bonnet.

I'd be curious to hear the other side, what say the tankers about the infantry wearing the black beret?
I agree though, who really gives a fiddlers ---- what kind of hat you or the other person wears, as long as he or she can preform the task assigned to him or her, thats what really matters....at least in my view.

Go back a bit, it's already there. When you come to the Corps, we could care less in what capacity. Your no better or worse than anyone else. Your part of the family and will be treated as such.

Well....it is a bit odd the way this is happening, but everyone who got posted into the RCD wore a black beret.  The MP Sgt and his MCpl (although she was Navy, so it didn't matter) wore Black Berets.  all the Mechs and Tech wore Black Berets, as did all the Sigs.  The Medics all did, until they were drawn back into 2 Fd Amb.  The only time there were no Black Berets on the Air Force clerks, was when they were in DEU wearing Wedge Caps or Forge Caps.  Even the Padre's wore Black Berets.

Back