• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry wearing black berets?

2 Cdo

Inactive
Reaction score
I seen in the Maple leaf that PPCLI troops were marched out of 1PPCLI and over to the LDSH as part of the new DFS organization. As part of this they will wear black berets, the CO is a Strat and the Ops O is a Patricia but ultimately it is a tanker organization. I'm wondering about a few things in reference to this.
1. Do the Patricia's still belong to the PPCLI?
2. Are they now responsible for LDSH regimental dues?(If there are any)
3. What do you as infantrymen out there think of this?

My intention is not to start a war between the infantry and the tankers but just to find out troops opinions. My own personally is that I don't agree with them wearing the black beret because they are not tankers, they are infantry in an anti-tank role just as they were in AD platoons in battalion.
Have a nice day!

Saw that today as well and found it odd that they would wear the black beret.

I posed this question before and I was told basically that any attached person or unit member wears the black beret just like there clerks and ums personal would I guess.  Personally if it were me I don't think I would like it.  They still wear the Patrica cap badge so I would assume that they still belong to the regiment and pay PPCLI regimental dues but I think it would be harder to observe regimental history events such as the birth of the Regiment and such.

Most of the guys do hate it and it still makes me do a double take.  Anyway, yes they still are Patricia's, yes they still pay regt dues, and are still part of the regt, but they are no longer on the remar of the Bn as they have been transferred to the LdSH(RC) remar.  The agreement is that the Strats will allow them to continue to participate in regt activities, since they belong to the Strats now they'll also participate in their regt activities...basically they now have two regimental affiliations..

Not wanting to step on anyones toes, but dress regs are pretty clear - anyone on the posted strength of an armoured regiment wears a black beret.  You keep the cap badge of your original affliliation - in this case PPCLI.

Armour Personnel and Units. The black beret or turban shall be worn with all orders of dress by Armour Branch personnel and by non-Armour Branch personnel wearing the army uniform who are on the posted strength of an armoured unit, except when precluded by operational or safety requirements.

As Fusilier points out, TOW Coy has been posted to the LdSH(RC), as will 4 AD pers next year, so we'll see black hat gunners too.

Speaking with the OC of the TOW Coy, he didn't think it was a big deal at all and was enthusiastically agreed to by the Army Commander - although there may well be different thoughts on the hanger floor (as Fusilier points out).  There has been huge effort (on all sides) to try and make this DFS business work and the level of cooperation from all concerned has been quite refreshing.  It's just a hat, after all...

TR

Just out of curiosity why is it compulsory for the armoured and not elsewhere?

And just another curiosity question... what colour are the arty berets?

CFL said:
Just out of curiosity why is it compulsory for the armoured and not elsewhere?

That would take forever to explain and a great deal of (admittedly educated) speculation on my part.  The Corps lost the black beret in the unification ordeal of the 1970s and had a huge fight to get it back.  It caused much angst and there are a large number of war stories surrounding what happened to the peaked caps after the berets were restored.  After regaining it, the RCAC basically outlawed all other forms of headdress and managed to get it institutionalized in dress regs. Originally, having everyone wear a black beret was designed to make the support trades feel part of the regimental family - a fairly effective technique.  I know when I joined, it was verboten to wear anything but a beret (helmets aside), even in the field.  Obviously, no one considered that there might be other combat arms (infantry and artillery in this case) posted to armour units, but the rule is still there. 

Hunter911 said:

Artillery wears a green beret.

Cheers,

Teddy

Hunter911 said:
Everyone in the army wears a green beret, unless your 011 armour(or in a armoured unit) or in a jump coy.

An interesting history on the beret in the CF can be found at:  http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/uniforms/berets.htm  A long standing wish of many Gunners and some Engineers would be to return to the midnight blue berets of the past.

MikeL said:
Everyone in the army wears a green beret, unless your 011 armour(or in a armoured unit) or in a jump coy.
. . . or an MP, member of a highland unit, of muslim faith, . . . .

CFL said:
I posed this question before and I was told basically that any attached person or unit member wears the black beret just like there clerks and ums personal would I guess.   Personally if it were me I don't think I would like it.   They still wear the Patrica cap badge so I would assume that they still belong to the regiment and pay PPCLI regimental dues but I think it would be harder to observe regimental history events such as the birth of the Regiment and such.

Why would this be any different than if you were Posted to the Infantry School, or one of the Battle Schools.  You are still an Infanteer.  You still maintain your Regimental Affiliation (Hat Badge); unless you want to write a memo to request a transfer to another Regiment (for example: PPCLI to RCR).  In this case, however, they have been Posted to the LdSH (RC) and are required to wear the Black Beret.  

My question is: if they are Posted out of the Bn, why do they still take part in Bn activities and pay Regimental Dues?  Do the guys posted to the Schools have to pay Regimental Dues?  It should be the same.

Arty berets are green but I think the DFS Regt arty guys will wear a black beret as well, no?

Regimental Dues?
In all the time I was in the Army I don't ever remember paying Regimental Dues

I wore a Brown Beret with a PPCLI Hat Badge
A Bush Hat worn with the Bush Uniform With a PPCLI Hat Badge and The RCOC Hat Badge
I wore the Winter Cap  RCOC Hat Badge
I wore the Forge Cap Two types Blue with Red Band and the Green Buss drivers RCOC Hat Badge
Best of all I wore the Maroon Beret. Witha PPCLI and RCOC Hat Badge
:)

CFL said:
Brown beret? ? ? ? ? ?

Yep 1951 3 PPCLI Currie Barracks
In fact it was the 1st Beret I ever wore
Was showed within the first hr how to soak it in hot water andhow to shape
Man did I ever look sharp  :) :) :)

Back