• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

You're welcome.

I thought that the shirt had merit, too, but mainly for the relative simplicity of manufacture rather than a significant increase in utility, having read criticisms of the US uniform. Having now seen it, and listened to reviews from the wearers (an admittedly small sampling), that simplicity appears to be the only gain.

And few seem to like the larger flag, as it is grotesquely bright on a combat uniform. I never thought that I'd complain about a Canadian flag until I saw this.

I personally like the massive flag, it shouts O'Canada from miles around. I also have not worn it and my opinion is not worth anything until I'm forced to wear it and come up with an informed opinion. But on another note, when exchanging flags with the americans I've always felt like I'm ripping them off.

Loachman said:
I never thought that I'd complain about a Canadian flag until I saw this.

Same.  But, as I'm sure when we transitioned from OD to CADPAT (I was one of the last Basic courses to wear ODs), in a few years no one will bat an eye. 

Those huge flags were in vogue while I was with UNPROFOR in 1994 - I hated them then and I continue to hate them now that they're back. 

:2c:

MM

Moore you should get into shooting it's a lot of fun.

Big fan of the Mandarin collar.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Moore you should get into shooting it's a lot of fun.

Big fan of the Mandarin collar.

I've thought about it but I don't know anyone who does. I'd need to go about getting a license or something before even going to a firing range I'd assume. I'd also not have the slightest clue as to what I'm doing. And I agree, I like the collar as well for both it's down and upwards positions.

I've had the mixed pleasure of being issued two of the new shirts, and my take is as follows - My two cents:

Sleeves: The forearm "pocket" for pens is ingenious, I like always having a pen easily on hand while in the field.  The velcro that secures the opening however is hit or miss - sometimes they are snug and secure, other times they start migrating out through the velcro.  Either way, definitely a welcome addition.  The flat biceps pocket I find a little difficult to use (smallish, and the zipper is a little awkward to use - especially with gloves).  The giant velcro patch is stiff, and the large Canadian flag doesn't really help with the issue either.  I found the velcro patches tended to catch on the nametape as well.

Neck: The Mandarin Collar I haven't gotten much use out of yet, but I can see the benefits of having it while also wearing the flak vest (preventing the chafing that usually seems to occur).  The velcro patches seem to hook other clothing (when say, trying to wash or dry them) and due to their design there will always be one patch semi-exposed.

Torso: The lack of draw strings is a welcome addition through the torso, though for individuals who are more robust around the middle will find them less flattering then the older style.  They are now held tight by elastic, which seems very snug by design.  The flat "cargo" pockets on the front are much smaller, but less difficult to wear under the flak vest.  Same with the flat chest pockets (easier to access then the biceps pocket due to having two hands available, etc).

All in all I can see the benefits for the combat arms (notably the easy access to pens, and the flat design through the torso), but the giant flag and excessive use of velcro in general are less then ideal (in my opinion - very noisy / flashy).  All in all though, I think its a worthwhile upgrade from the previous.

Loachman said:
And few seem to like the larger flag, as it is grotesquely bright on a combat uniform. I never thought that I'd complain about a Canadian flag until I saw this.
Wait until you see it on soldiers in the field who are otherwise all camouflaged.
I guess taking it off and being with no flag was not an option.

MCG said:
Wait until you see it on soldiers in the field who are otherwise all camouflaged.
I guess taking it off and being with no flag was not an option.

But there are ( or should be ) subdued ones, and perhaps IR ones.  Then again, when you really want to find them, all you have to do is look for the "Blue Rockets".

George Wallace said:
But there are ( or should be ) subdued ones, and perhaps IR ones.  Then again, when you really want to find them, all you have to do is look for the "Blue Rockets".

May I ask what the term "Blue Rockets" means? I also agree you guys should have subdued flags, but I'm sure it doesn't take long for a new flag to get dirty and not as noticeable after being out in the field for a long while?

Moore said:
May I ask what the term "Blue Rockets" means? I also agree you guys should have subdued flags, but I'm sure it doesn't take long for a new flag to get dirty and not as noticeable after being out in the field for a long while?
I think it's a portable toilet.

Moore said:

You're not supposed to wear the red and white in the field, if it gets dirty its supposed to be replaced. Even the red and white when dirty is highly noticeable. There's IR and subdued flags for the field.

Blue rockets are the porta-shitters found in many training sites, ranges throughout Canada

RedcapCrusader said:
You're not supposed to wear the red and white in the field, if it gets dirty its supposed to be replaced. Even the red and white when dirty is highly noticeable. There's IR and subdued flags for the field.

Blue rockets are the porta-shitters found in many training sites, ranges throughout Canada

Ok thanks for answering my question. I've yet to see any pictures of these subdued flags.

Moore said:
Ok thanks for answering my question. I've yet to see any pictures of these subdued flags.

That's what camouflage is supposed to do......Makes it harder for you to see it.

The new subdued flags wont be in the system for a while. We were told to use IR flags for now.

EGADS those flags look horrible!  WTF, over?  :eek:

Will this new ICU be restricted to field duty, or will we see everyone (army, RCAF, RCN) wearing these uniforms for office duty too?

This replaces the current combat uniform.

George Wallace said:
CP Gear......... >:D

The new subdued flag looks like it will be much different than your typical subdued green version. It seems to incorporate some IR elements (the red portion of the flag would be IR black) and the rest would be OD or CADPAT. I don't have the soldier system initiatives .ppt with me at the moment but it is quite different from what you would expect. Something along the lines of this: http://oneshottactical.com/products/ssp-cfir

Back