• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

So I heard today that the new ECU tops are actually in the QMs and ready to be distributed out. However they are waiting until the new officer ranks are available (which last I heard the switch was going to be Nov 11th). Which begs the question, why aren't the NCMs receiving them yet? Anyone else hear about this? It came from a supply officer, so I took it to be pretty credible.

slayer/raptor said:
Which begs the question, why aren't the NCMs receiving them yet? Anyone else hear about this? It came from a supply officer, so I took it to be pretty credible.

Sure.....sounds like you need syrup for the waffle that officer served you.

They're issuing them out to NCMs at CFSUO Clothing Stores...rank Velcro and flags are in short supply, but they're in the wild.

slayer/raptor said:
So I heard today that the new ECU tops are actually in the QMs and ready to be distributed out. However they are waiting until the new officer ranks are available (which last I heard the switch was going to be Nov 11th). Which begs the question, why aren't the NCMs receiving them yet? Anyone else hear about this? It came from a supply officer, so I took it to be pretty credible.

They are also issuing out the remainder of the new old style combat shirts that are still in the supply system. The rumour had been that they wanted to delay the issue of the new ECU to the officers to avoid having to issue 2 sets of eppaulettes out (slip ons for old ones, velcro for new ones). The brown shirts wont be issued until the last of the green undershirts are out of the system as well last I heard from Sup Coy in Gagetown.

They do realize that we will still need the old slip on style ranks for our rain and ICE jackets right? Or is there a plan to put velco patches on those jackets sometime in the future?

slayer/raptor said:
They do realize that we will still need the old slip on style ranks for our rain and ICE jackets right? Or is there a plan to put velco patches on those jackets sometime in the future?

When we buy things, the project office doesn't worry about "other kit". New bayonets? Awesome! New bayonet scabbard doesn't fit in DEU frog? That's someone else's project.  :facepalm:

New tops finally being rolled out? Or are they currently being given out at BMQ? Also notice They're Infantry. I remember reading that Infantry will be the first to get them which makes sense.

5UXgfai.jpg

The new uniforms are now available.  They are not being issued to groups based on a priority (so, infantry is not first).  New recruits will get these issued as the first uniform.  Others will get these as their issued uniforms wear-out and need replacement.

I wonder if we will adopt the US practice of using the term "fuzzies" for the no-hook privates now that our new guys now have the bear fuzzy Velcro spot on the front.

MCG said:
The new uniforms are now available.  They are not being issued to groups based on a priority (so, infantry is not first).  New recruits will get these issued as the first uniform.  Others will get these as their issued uniforms wear-out and need replacement.

I wonder if we will adopt the US practice of using the term "fuzzies" for the no-hook privates now that our new guys now have the bear fuzzy Velcro spot on the front.

Oh ok sweet, I wasn't even aware they were being fully issued already. Well that's definitely something to look forward to haha. These compared to the old tops almost makes the old ones look embarassing in my opinion.

Moore said:
. These compared to the old tops almost makes the old ones look embarassing in my opinion.

May I ask why you think they are "embarrassing"?  We have worn a version of this "embarrassing" uniform for a number of years, and for you to come on here with ZERO time in and criticize it is unacceptable. Wind it in.

So are outerwear, fleece tops, etc. going to get velcro for the rank patch as well?

Jim Seggie said:
May I ask why you think they are "embarrassing"?  We have worn a version of this "embarrassing" uniform for a number of years, and for you to come on here with ZERO time in and criticize it is unacceptable. Wind it in.

Lol, I don't know if you misunderstood my message or you're just over reacting. I think we can all agree that Canada's been in need of atleast a new updated combat shirt for awhile now. The old one has a 1x2" canadian flag that's tiny compared to the new ones. They look much better now so you can actually show off to the rest of the world that you're Canadian. The U.S. Army has had the mandarine collar for a few years, we just got flat pockets and those mandarine collars. As well as somethhing to atleast make the wrists tighter compared to the old as well. And for the longest time Canada's been using slip ons for ranks instead of velcro as well. There's also more shoulder room for shooting etc. Clearly Canada was lagging behind in their uniforms a little bit. I wasn't disrespecting the uniform in anyway, I was saying how the uniform appeared to be in need of an update for quite awhile.

Moore said:
Lol, I don't know if you misunderstood my message or you're just over reacting. I think we can all agree that Canada's been in need of atleast a new updated combat shirt for awhile now. The old one has a 1x2" canadian flag that's tiny compared to the new ones. They look much better now so you can actually show off to the rest of the world that you're Canadian. The U.S. Army has had the mandarine collar for a few years, we just got flat pockets and those mandarine collars. As well as somethhing to atleast make the wrists tighter compared to the old as well. And for the longest time Canada's been using slip one for ranks instead of Velcro as well. There's also more shoulder room for shooting etc. Clearly Canada was lagging behind in their uniforms a little bit. I wasn't disrespecting the uniform in anyway, I was saying how the uniform appeared to be in need of an update for quite a bit.

I'm fairly certain that most other militaries know we're Canadian, regardless of the size of our flag.  That 1x2 flag is also the same flag that we put on our outerwear, flying suits and Naval Combat Dress - so those who wear CADPAT will need two different sizes of flags?  Same goes with the slip-ons - our outerwear and flying suits are fitted for slip-ons, so now folks will need both the slip-ons and the velcro ranks.  Bit of a duplication.

I do like the flat pockets, sleeve pockets and the collar though. 

Very many thanks for the enlightenment, Moore.

As an old retired sea salt, I was thoroughly unaware that the Army was in a Combat Uniform race with the United States, that our soldiers were in a Biggest di** race with everybody else on flag size, or that Velcro was inherently better than other methods of attaching ranks to uniforms.

I'll go to bed less stupid, I guess. ;)

Moore said:
Lol, I don't know if you misunderstood my message or you're just over reacting. I think we can all agree that Canada's been in need of atleast a new updated combat shirt for awhile now. The old one has a 1x2" canadian flag that's tiny compared to the new ones. They look much better now so you can actually show off to the rest of the world that you're Canadian. The U.S. Army has had the mandarine collar for a few years, we just got flat pockets and those mandarine collars. As well as somethhing to atleast make the wrists tighter compared to the old as well. And for the longest time Canada's been using slip one for ranks instead of Velcro as well. There's also more shoulder room for shooting etc. Clearly Canada was lagging behind in their uniforms a little bit. I wasn't disrespecting the uniform in anyway, I was saying how the uniform appeared to be in need of an update for quite a bit.

Flat pockets and NO cargo pockets on the shirts is not new.  We had those in the Mid '80's.  They did not catch on very well.  Then there were the "RSM Rules", which differed from unit to unit, as to whether or not the shirt should be tucked in or not. 

As for a big honking Canadian Flag; is that really necessary?  Unless required operationally, as in the past, it looks more like an "ego trip" to me, and a gaudy one at that.  Once it is "subdued" it just becomes another LARGE patch that can easily be torn off while going through confined spaces.  The 1" X 2" red and white flag still stands out on the uniform, even at a distance (probably the reason we designed the subdued pattern flags).

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Very many thanks for the enlightenment, Moore.

As an old retired sea salt, I was thoroughly unaware that the Army was in a Combat Uniform race with the United States, that our soldiers were in a Biggest di** race with everybody else on flag size, or that Velcro was inherently better than other methods of attaching ranks to uniforms.

I'll go to bed less stupid, I guess. ;)

Hahaha. I was just stating my opinion on what I liked about the new combats and if you literally held them side by side then I don't think many people would be choosing the old one but that's just what I think. I'm sorry for using the word embarassing as well, I should've used another word. I'm just putting my opinion on the new uniforms v. Old and I'm getting attacked on here for that.

George Wallace said:
Flat pockets and NO cargo pockets on the shirts is not new.  We had those in the Mid '80's.  They did not catch on very well.  Then there were the "RSM Rules", which differed from unit to unit, as to whether or not the shirt should be tucked in or not. 

As for a big honking Canadian Flag; is that really necessary?  Unless required operationally, as in the past, it looks more like an "ego trip" to me, and a gaudy one at that.  Once it is "subdued" it just becomes another LARGE patch that can easily be torn off while going through confined spaces.  The 1" X 2" red and white flag still stands out on the uniform, even at a distance (probably the reason we designed the subdued pattern flags).

George, I wasn't aware that there were flat pockets floating around since the mid 80s. I was aware that our old new shirts do have them though on the sleeves if I'm correct. Currently all of my opinions are based off of what Canadian civilians and myself see when they see the people defending their country. If it were in a combat role then I agree to a subdued flag maybe 2 toned green would be better. I also think having one flag on each shoulder is a little to much to if they're still doing that. Thanks for sharing your information with me.

If you're so proud of being Canadian and showing it off with a huge flag, maybe you could try capitalizing the word.  ::)

I, for one, hope my old uniforms don't wear out before I release.

PMedMoe said:
If you're so proud of being Canadian and showing it off with a huge flag, maybe you could try capitalizing the word.  ::)

I, for one, hope my old uniforms don't wear out before I release.

So everyone that likes the new flags should try capitalizing the world? Makes sense. If you're going to try being a smart ass atleast have a real point about what I posted not something about a bigger canadian flag.

Moore said:
So everyone that likes the new flags should try capitalizing the world?

whoosh2.gif

:facepalm:

I was referring to capitalizing proper nouns like Canada, Canadian.... 

PMedMoe said:
whoosh2.gif

:facepalm:

I was referring to capitalizing proper nouns like Canada, Canadian....

My bad. Misread your post. Sorry for not capitalizing.

Back