• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How does the army issue weapons?

Mosullivan15

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm just curious about how the army issues weapons.
Does devery infantry soldier get a pistol?
Can you decide which varient of the C7 you get?
Can you choose between the C7 or C8?

Thank you alll for your time.

To keep it simple the answer to all your questions is "No".  In the infantry your Section Comd will decide if you are a rifleman or a C9 gunner.  The majority of time you will get issued a C7A2.  Pistols are only issued to certain people, the average rifleman will not be carrying a pistol.

Good question, as we have many people on these means that are more than experienced to answer that question, Mosullivan15.

But please Trust me, Dangerboy is very knowledgeable and his answer, I am sure, is bang on

To answer the question in another way, I go to the weapons lock up when told to and then draw and sign for the personal weapon assigned to me.  At present for me, as a Sgt medic, it's rack 41, a plain old everyday C7A2 without any special accoutrements.

MM

You have to remember too that as you go through your career and collect more points you will find better weapons along the way.  And there are often med kits prepositioned around the training area if you need a quick boost.

Schindler's Lift said:
You have to remember too that as you go through your career and collect more points you will find better weapons along the way.  And there are often med kits prepositioned around the training area if you need a quick boost.

Best. Post. Ever.

Schindler's Lift said:
It's all too easy once you have the BFG.  All the fun is in the chainsaw.

You should also check out the costs for purchasing weapons and accessories. You can get better stuff quicker if you buy credits.

Polishing of bits of brass, your NCO's boots and any knobs hanging around will earn you experience and credits.  :nod:

All kidding aside, forget everything you have learned about the military from video games and movies. The first thing they teach you is how to look after yourself and your kit. Go to the library and start reading books about the Canadian military history, this will help understand what solider is like. There are some good ones out about the Afghanistan conflict. 

Ok ok ok... one Call of Duty reference is funny, two is kinda cheeky, but lets remember that this question is on a lot of newbie's minds.

No, you cannot purchase and use your own personal weapons in the CAF - you use what is issued. Most small arms (SA) is issued based on trade, position and necessity. As a general rule (I say general because a CO can change this on his or her say-so) 9mm pistols are issued only to a WO or above. C7 (as medicinman states) is our service weapon. As far a "variant" is concerned, we use the C7A2. The old C7 with the carrying handle has been phased out.

Some trades never actually get issued a weapon. We get one to qualify on the range once a year if we happen to be on a base where a range is accessable. Other times we actually do the COD thing (kinda) and shoot on a simulator. Enjoyable, however NOT the real thing.

If your position requires you to train with a weapon, upon clearing into your unit you are given a rack number. You draw your weapon for cleaning and maintenance, TOETs, weight bearing marches, ranges and training (exercises and stuff...)

Most of the older sods here this is second nature to, but we must remember that there is still a little "sexiness" to what we do and civilians and the like are curious.

Also:

Your unit can not issue a weapon that it does not hold.  If your unit doesn't have it, you are not going to get it.

That might be why I don't carry that Desert Eagle I have been wanting for some time now...

I should put in an ECR...

BinRat55 said:
That might be why I don't carry that Desert Eagle I have been wanting for some time now...

I should put in an ECR...

... and log onto Logistik Unicorps for your black suit and tie.

Lol!!

So, to tie it all up for the OP, we get what we get if we need it. We will be told if we need it. We will be told when we need it. We will be told what "it" is. Then, we will be taught how to shoot "it", clean "it" and care for "it".

That's pretty much "it"!

Back