• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Houthi Red Sea Blockade

Modern Women in Tehran, Sunni Arabs, Kurds and Baluchis inside their own borders, Sunnis in all the countries on their borders, Israelis....

And the IRGC has a rag tag bunch of rebels everywhere.

On the other hand maybe Tehran is taking a leaf from Beijing's book. Beijing has no secure borders either. Not even the Russian one.
China is however a lot more discrete.

Modern Women in Tehran, Sunni Arabs, Kurds and Baluchis inside their own borders, Sunnis in all the countries on their borders, Israelis....

And the IRGC has a rag tag bunch of rebels everywhere.

On the other hand maybe Tehran is taking a leaf from Beijing's book. Beijing has no secure borders either. Not even the Russian one.

FWIW, this was informative:

What Is Wrong with the Arab World?​

Currently, Iraq and Syria are the primary theaters of proxy wars pitting Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies against Iran. The Saudi-Iranian cold war for primacy in the Persian Gulf is being largely played out in the Fertile Crescent. This proxy conflict has contributed heavily to the surge of sectarianism in both Iraq and Syria. This is related to the fact that Saudi Arabia is a fundamentalist, Sunni state that is viscerally anti-Shia while Iran is the leading Shia state in the Middle East. Both have stoked the fires of Sunni-Shia conflict to serve their own ends although the Saudi contribution is far greater than that of Iran. The Shia are a minority in the Arab Middle East, even if they are a majority in Iraq and a plurality in Lebanon, and Iran is a non-Arab state. Tehran, therefore, has to be much more discrete in how it plays the Shia card if it is to retain influence in the predominantly Sunni Arab world.

Moar strikes ...
... and, for the record, this from the joint info-machines

The EU ain't there. The EU won't bear. The EU don't care.

The Dutch are siding with the Brits this time out - Back to the days of De Witt and the common origins of the Marines.

Europe still has its ancient problem. Germany is split. There is Europe north of the Danube and east of the Rhine. There is Europe south of the Danube and west of the Rhine.

For the Germans the split, culturally, is between the Prussians (Hanseatic and Lutheran) and the Bavarians (Gallo-Roman and Catholic).

This map still applies.

1706040547350.png

The British and Irish maps get it a bit wrong. Ireland, Wales and England were split between the Romanized locals and the local Germano-Celts.

The EU ain't there. The EU won't bear. The EU don't care ...
They're gonna be there, a bit, anyway ...
EU to launch Red Sea mission, will not take part in strikes against Houthis

They're gonna be there, a bit, anyway ...
EU to launch Red Sea mission, will not take part in strikes against Houthis

I hope they have a lot of SAMs available.

USN looking for an immediate bolt-on solution for Group 3 to 5 UAS - 1 to 6 month delivery. 6 to 12 month delivery will be considered.

If your company has a system in production that can counter aerial drones and could start integrating it onto a warship within 12 months of getting a contract, the U.S. Navy is interested. The urgency here comes as American Arleigh Burke class destroyers have been shooting down dozens of drones launched by Houthi militants at ships in and around the Red Sea. The War Zone just did a deep dive into the ever-growing challenges these threats pose to Navy ships and their current arsenals in the context of the service's future Constellation class frigates.

The Navy is specifically interested in systems that have a demonstrated ability to counter drones in what the U.S. military defines as Groups 3, 4, and 5. Under the Department of Defense's categorization system, Group 3 drones are ones with maximum weights of no more than 1,320 pounds, that can reach altitudes up to 18,000 feet, and have top speeds of up to 250 knots. Group 4 has the same altitude stipulation, but covers drones with maximum weights greater than 1,320 pounds and that can fly at any speed. Group 5, the largest drone category in the U.S. military's system, is for any uncrewed aircraft with a maximum weight greater than 1,320 pounds and that can fly above 18,000 feet.
As a more specific example, Iran's now-infamous Shahed 136 kamikaze drone, variants and derivatives of which are now in service in Russia and with several Iranian-backed proxies, falls in the Group 3 category. The Group 4 category includes things like Iran's Mohajer 6 (also now in use in Russia, among other countries) and the U.S. Army's MQ-1C Gray Eagle. The MQ-9 Reaper is typically used as an example of a Group 5 type, but this very open-ended category encompasses all kinds of larger drones. All of these are, of course, just a small sample of the kinds of drones that fall into these three categories.

A U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency graphic comparing the features of Iranian Shahed 136 kamikaze drones and examples observed in Russian service, known locally in that country as the Geran-2. DIA

The NAVSEA contracting notice says that "demonstrated capability against other classes of UAS" is also "of interest."

Here is the companion article addressed as the "deep dive"

I hope they have a lot of SAMs available.
The drones I imagine could be taken out by RIM-116 or an equivalent system, with a CIWS probably being fine for any drones caught close enough.

But for intercepting missiles or exceptionally fast ordnance (faster than a drone anyway) I do hope they have a fair number of SAM'S available

Let's see what the EU can do with this mission. It'll be interesting to see if their stockpiles of ordnance is up to the task...

The drones I imagine could be taken out by RIM-116 or an equivalent system, with a CIWS probably being fine for any drones caught close enough.
I’m thinking that new ships will have more guns (35mm ish) for C/UAS, and USV’s
While missiles are great to hit other big missiles, the rather slower OWUAS type setups and the OWUSV’s are better engaged (economically) by guns or ideally energy weapons.

But for intercepting missiles or exceptionally fast ordnance (faster than a drone anyway) I do hope they have a fair number of SAM'S available

Let's see what the EU can do with this mission. It'll be interesting to see if their stockpiles of ordnance is up to the task...
I lol about the EU and stockpiles

I’m thinking that new ships will have more guns (35mm ish) for C/UAS, and USV’s
While missiles are great to hit other big missiles, the rather slower OWUAS type setups and the OWUSV’s are better engaged (economically) by guns or ideally energy weapons.

I lol about the EU and stockpiles
Can't beat energy weapons in terms of cost and speed, but I doubt any EU navies have DEW's as part of their weapons load out yet.

(Even the USN only has a DEW installed on a handful of ships, and those are only in the 350kw range...unless I'm behind the times, which I very well might be?)

Seems awfully wasteful to be shooting super cheap drones with missiles that cost $250,000 a pop at minimum ...

I lol about the EU and stockpiles of wartime kit also 😅 thats why I ask "lets see if they are up for the task...?" Rather than confidently stating "let the EU handle this, they got it covered..."

Let's hope their stockpiles of ordinance now lasts longer than they did when Libya was happening...

The economic trade-off is not between the drone and the missile, it's between the missile and the damage the drone can do to the ship. CO's will gladly trade off s $250K missile for a drone that can do $1M damage to the ship and/or kill some of the crew.

Primary defense against these drone ought to be in the EW department. BTW, with the powerful Air Search radars we carry, you ought to be able to fry the electronics on a lot of those drones.

Can't beat energy weapons in terms of cost and speed, but I doubt any EU navies have DEW's as part of their weapons load out yet.

(Even the USN only has a DEW installed on a handful of ships, and those are only in the 350kw range...unless I'm behind the times, which I very well might be?)

Seems awfully wasteful to be shooting super cheap drones with missiles that cost $250,000 a pop at minimum ...

I lol about the EU and stockpiles of wartime kit also 😅 thats why I ask "lets see if they are up for the task...?" Rather than confidently stating "let the EU handle this, they got it covered..."

Let's hope their stockpiles of ordinance now lasts longer than they did when Libya was happening...

The production lines for lasers aren't open yet.

On the other hand there are a lot of autocannons in the 30 to 76mm range with production lines for their ammunition open.

Strapping a couple of these on board might make some friends -

1706980713711.png

First developed in the late 1950s, the Oerlikon 35mm is one of the most widely used modern anti-aircraft guns.

Used by the Canadian Army 1989 to 2005, the guns provided low-level air defence for two Canadian NATO airfields in Germany. Normally controlled in pairs by a Skyguard radar, the GDF-005 was also fitted with a Gun King 3D computer-controlled sight with a laser range finder and digital fire control system, allowing it to function independently if required.

The Canadian batteries consisted of four Skyguard radars and eight GDF-005 guns. Guns captured from the Argentine forces during the Falkland War in 1982 were put into British service.

Weight of Projectile: 1.565 kg (3.45 lb)

Range: 4,000 m

Detachment: 5 Gunners, gun and towing vehicle

Rumours abound that Canada still has some of those in storage (makes me wonder why 4GS has got their hands on them yet, if so).

Or these?

1706980930837.png

Back