• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Green In the Desert...

I own a pair of DB's.  I much rather wear those when it is practical...i.e when it is sweltering hot out, they are a much lighter boot, and breathable.  I think i would refrain from wearing them however, if i was mostly on base for the day.
A good question though, is their a dress reg that exists that says we should not wear them with fatigues in such and such region ?

cheers

PV

OHara said:
I do beleive you are right. But if you buy your own and you are in a arid region then I beleive if you get permission then you are allowed. For example, the Vernon Army Cadet Summer Training Center. That is a Arid Region and there are lots of CIC,Reserve Officers along with several NCO's wearing them. This is just my geuss.

I hate to break it to ya, but Vernon does not constitute an Arid region. Arid is the fancy term for desert (hence the tan colour of the arid uniforms) and there is a CANFORGEN (*I think* - on leave right now so no DIN access) out that states tan boots are not to be worn in Canada, other than with specific permission from the powers that be, and that does not mean your CIC officer   ::)

I remember the "official" (?) ruling coming out about 7 years ago that on ex, any issued Canadian footwear was authorized, but only black footwear was authorized in garrison, but that has since been replaced by said new ruling.

392 said:
I hate to break it to ya, but Vernon does not constitute an Arid region. Arid is the fancy term for desert (hence the tan colour of the arid uniforms) and there is a CANFORGEN (*I think* - on leave right now so no DIN access) out that states tan boots are not to be worn in Canada, other than with specific permission from the powers that be, and that does not mean your CIC officer   ::)

I remember the "official" (?) ruling coming out about 7 years ago that on ex, any issued Canadian footwear was authorized, but only black footwear was authorized in garrison, but that has since been replaced by said new ruling.

I am pretty sure that what he was trying to say was that the PRIMARY reserve officers, not the CIC reserve officers, were wearing them.  Just because he does not know the appropriate lingo, and how to differentiate between Reg and PRes and CIC, is not a reason to slag the kid.  I understand that he has been 'straying' a bit, but take into consideration his age, in-experience in life, and in-experience on this forum.  Please?

There are lots of Reg and Res members that work at Cadet camps during the summer.  For example, like he mentioned, the guys doing the C7 training.  They would probably not be CIC, as CIC (there may be exceptions, I would assume) are not trained on that particular weapon, only on frigging Daisies and 22s (stupid, I think, but that's a different matter altogether).

CIC are not issued the Desert boots, because if we are having to deploy, there is a REAL problem.  So, unless they got hold of some through a surplus store or something, I would assume that the wearer was Reg or PRes.

flame away, if you feel so inclined.

qjdb

Notwithstanding any of this - Our uniforms are highly flamable, designed poorly and just when the unifrom is laundered anough to dull done th ebright lime green in the relish - the IR coating has worn off.

Kev, <a href=http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/smock.html>the site</a> I posted has a few idea regarding this. Essentially, you could wear a neutral colored wicking layer next to skin(the comfort layer), then neutral coloured armour(protective layer), and over the top, a large, potato sack style disruptive pattern smock(the camoflague layer). The smock can be made reversible and easily donned or doffed to adapt to different camoflague enviroments, doesn't need to be particularly comfortable (can be coarse and non-absorbent to stay light when wet), can be treated for IR and flame retardency, and further more it would be the only item of clothing that would need to be exchanged since it will save wear and tear on the other layers.

PViddy said:
A good question though, is their a dress reg that exists that says we should not wear them with fatigues in such and such region ?

Although there is a fairly recent CANFORGEN which states that desert boots are "not authorized for wear in Canada", your first few weeks in theatre are a damned poor time and place to break in a new pair of boots.  The same was said of DBs and JBs on my last tour.  So, I went to the RSM and asked for a month for my troops to break in their new boots while on pre-deployment training.  He went for it without hesitation.  As with any regulation, common sense must prevail.

Where I see common sense failing is when soldiers wear the DBs in inappropriate circumstances because of the LCF.  Example:  During a winter tour in Bosnia, NCE soldiers wearing DBs in calf deep snow.  When I questioned our BG RSM I was told that he had questioned it higher too.  Basicially it came down to "hey, they're NCE..."

sorry to get off topic here, but are you guys allowed to paint your weapons before goint to afghanistan, im only asking because of kevinb's pics he posted.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/McTeer/SS_italian_infantry.jpg

its the Itailian Version of the feldgrau, pretty much the same but alittle bit greener

Haggis said:
Although there is a fairly recent CANFORGEN which states that desert boots are "not authorized for wear in Canada", your first few weeks in theatre are a damned poor time and place to break in a new pair of boots.   The same was said of DBs and JBs on my last tour.   So, I went to the RSM and asked for a month for my troops to break in their new boots while on pre-deployment training.   He went for it without hesitation.   As with any regulation, common sense must prevail.

We tried the same reasoning on Roto 0 with 3RCR. We were told no, flat out, in no uncertain terms. We couldn't even put them on in Mirage. My first day, ON DUTY, in my DB's was in Kabul. I broke mine in on pre deployment leave. Although, given how the boot is made, they don't take more than a day or two to get comfortable in. Still, that's no excuse.

"I die a little inside with every new indignity foisted upon me.'

- Then I guess i'm on the right site.

- Pre APPOLO 2002, the day I brought my relish home, my wife asked me where the hot dogs were.  They faded.  Fast.  it must have been the dirt.  I talked my way into a USN Barracks in diego garcia on the way home, and I looked in the washer part way through - it looked like i was doing a laundry i chocolat milk.  Still find 'Gan dust in my Turret and Surv Checklist books.

- The jump smock issued to me in Pet fall 1977 has faded to the same colour.

- Green in the desert?  That's why we wore brown US Army T shirts!  Say, is the mid-tour socks and T Shirts issue in yet? ;D

Tom

From CANFORGEN 016/05 CLS 001/05 261806Z JAN 05:

THE ONLY AUTHORIZED FOOTWEAR FOR PERS CONDUCTING LAND OPERATIONS REMAINS THE MARK III COMBAT BOOT NSN 8430-21-872-4291, THE WWB NSN 8430-21-914-9924 AND THE TCB NSN 8430-20-001-2410 WHEN INTRODUCED. THE CURRENT IN-SERVICE HOT WEATHER (DESERT) BOOT NSN 8430-21-908-2375 ISSUED ONLY FOR SPECIFIED DEPLOYMENTS IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR IN CANADA.

(excuse the "all caps" - it's the website)

Have I seen tan boots in Canada?...yup.  Have I worn tan boots in Canada?...er, yup...  IMHO, we're a tad too anal about such things, but that's been the subject of different rants on different threads for some time now.

recceguy said:
We tried the same reasoning on Roto 0 with 3RCR. We were told no, flat out, in no uncertain terms.

RCR - 'nuff said...  ;)

THE ONLY AUTHORIZED FOOTWEAR FOR PERS CONDUCTING LAND OPERATIONS REMAINS THE MARK III COMBAT BOOT NSN 8430-21-872-4291, THE WWB NSN 8430-21-914-9924 AND THE TCB NSN 8430-20-001-2410 WHEN INTRODUCED. THE CURRENT IN-SERVICE HOT WEATHER (DESERT) BOOT NSN 8430-21-908-2375 ISSUED ONLY FOR SPECIFIED DEPLOYMENTS IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR IN CANADA.

Boy, have I been living on the edge for the last few years.......:)

What exactly is the rationale behind this?

What exactly is the rationale behind this?

There isn't one.

Quote from: recceguy on Yesterday at 23:33:58
We tried the same reasoning on Roto 0 with 3RCR. We were told no, flat out, in no uncertain terms.

RCR - 'nuff said... 

Having said that, the Roto 4 TF RSM (PPCLI) and 2 CMBG RSM (PPCLI) agreed that Roto 4 pers could wear their tan boots on the VALEX in Pet to break them in.  I am sure that the PRT folks were also given that opportunity.

All of which won't help me next week - on my way to Pet for final DAG and departure (where I will be wearing Arid CADPAT and tan boots), I have to spend a day in NDHQ getting the final briefs etc - wearing TW CADPAT, and black boots (which I will then have to mail home from Pet, unless I want an extra pair of boots in theatre).  All quite aggravating.

stupid question for ya,  in afghanistan do you wear desert boots the whole time, or just half of the time like in bosnia?

On Roto 0 at Camp Warehouse, with the Sig Sqn, IIRC we were ordered to switch to MKIIIs or WWB when winter hit. I was wearing black JBs and got 'corrected' pretty quickly.

Krazy-P said:
stupid question for ya,   in afghanistan do you wear desert boots the whole time, or just half of the time like in bosnia?

For us it was personal choice

Why we waste our time with the boots on a person's feet (unless it is for tactical considerations) is beyond me....

Why we waste our time with the boots on a person's feet (unless it is for tactical considerations) is beyond me....

It would seem to me that a person who needs higher to decide which pair of shoes to don in the morning has no business being in the army, much less an operational theatre.

I've never paid any attention to these insane directives, If I'm in garrision I wear whatever the Sgt Maj. is wearing, and in the field I wear whatever(issued boot) I bloody well feel like, and my CoC generally trusts me to make a sensible decision.

Of course, I imagine an attitude such as mine will severly limit any prospects for career progression in the CF, but what can I say, comfort is important to me......

FWIW - I have yet so see anything BLACK in nature - green, grey, brown - but look around It is not a specifically natural colou rin the surroundings.

This is a picture where black is changed to yellow. You need black in camo, as little as you want but you need black. ACU is a good pattern but only in urban area (In my opinion). I still prefer different uniform for different area. It may cost more but that more effective. (That still MY opinion).

Britney Spears said:
Of course, I imagine an attitude such as mine will severly limit any prospects for career progression in the CF, but what can I say, comfort is important to me......

Or you get a notation on your PER that your staff writing skills are way beyond what is expected for your rank level  -
By turning "I think your a moron for picking on my boot choice in the field - into a logical but consise structured argument about how different kit is needed by individuals due to differing body shapes and designs  ;)

KevinB said:
Or you get a notation on your PER that your staff writing skills are way beyond what is expected for your rank level   -
By turning "I think your a moron for picking on my boot choice in the field - into a logical but consise structured argument about how different kit is needed by individuals due to differing body shapes and designs  
or you get told to "shut up and change your boots"  ::)

Back