• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Green In the Desert...

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
For those of us (including me) who thought that our guys deployed to Afghanistan during Op Apollo looked abit foolish and out of place in their temperate green uniform.....

The new US soldiers coming in to make up Task Force Phoenix 4 are wearing the new green (gasp) ACU uniform. They do not have an separate temperate or Desert camo uniform anymore.

Pictures will follow, but will have to wait until my return home. (also see thread in Foreign militaries, or search under "ACU")

So saying that...instead of wasting a whole bunch of money fitting everyone out with Arid camo uniforms, why not just make the outer layers, ie body armour, helmet cover and tactical vest in Arid pattern, and we still continue to function in the normal green uniform while wearing desert style tan boots?

Let the fireworks begin....

Or jump on the Crye Multicam bandwagon, finding a Camo pattern that works very well in almost any environment:

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/crye1.html

the book "generation kill" was about the americian invasion of iraq all those months back. and the USMC ...or the guy incharge of bringing the right stuff, only brought the woodland camo flak jackets, and i think the MOPPs were all woodland too.

Why are they spending millions if not billions on Combats? I know Canada spent alot of money on the CADPAT Pattern and then they made the Desert Pattern... So If they can come up with a multis role combat... that would prob save money... But I still think CADPAT looks like a better pattern than anyother combat invented "personal opinion"

That would be awesome for the CF too... But the thing is the Military is not democratic so I dont know if they would go for that. If the head guys wants something enough he gets it :threat:

OHara said:
That would be awesome for the CF too... But the thing is the Military is not democratic so I dont know if they would go for that. If the head guys wants something enough he gets it :threat:

::)

Who exactly are you - a 9 year old with access to your parents computer?

I met a US Major in Germany wearing the new ACU, it's kind of greyish-green. Found this pic online, though the guy I met wasn't wearing it "collar up". He was impressed with it anyways...

And no I am not some 9 yr old using my parents comp

OHara said:
And no I am not some 9 yr old using my parents comp

Then quit acting like one. Your new here and were warned right off the bat about your childish, inaccuarate, ill informed comments. You were told to read and follow the guidelines. You have failed to heed any of this advise, continued in your ways, and are now enjoying the first step of the Warning System. A smart person would now be quiet and just read for awhile until they got a better feeling for what goes on here, and how it's done. Your choice. The Owner's way or the highway. No more freebies.

Seems to blend in quit nice in the bottom picture and no overly identifyable in the top one. I'd say it's not a bad compromise, given you could transition back and forth a couple of times before coffe break.

These guys are airsofterts (or paintballers) but you can still see it blends in quite well in grey urban environment.

And here's one in a greener environment (again airsoft).

found this on a website

"Multicam. This outstanding new pattern was developed by Crye Precision in co-operation with the US Army Natick Soldier Research Center, as an experiment to determine whether a single camouflage pattern could be effective in limiting the visual and near-IR signature of a person across a wider range of environments and seasons. The scale and contrast of the pattern elements are designed to work well when observed from both distant and close ranges.

Armymedic said:
So saying that...instead of wasting a whole bunch of money fitting everyone out with Arid camo uniforms, why not just make the outer layers, ie body armour, helmet cover and tactical vest in Arid pattern, and we still continue to function in the normal green uniform while wearing desert style tan boots?

This is just a cadet's opinion *awaits barage of debris*, but would it not be a valid idea to make "reversable combats", with Temperate on one side, and Arid on the other ??? ( i got this idea while looking at my gym shorts ;) ). Seriously, but would it work? is it a viable option?

Just a thought.

rmc_wannabe said:
This is just a cadet's opinion *awaits barage of debris*, but would it not be a valid idea to make "reversable combats", with Temperate on one side, and Arid on the other ??? ( i got this idea while looking at my gym shorts ;) ). Seriously, but would it work? is it a viable option?

Just a thought.

That seems a sensible idea - I wonder if it would cause the material to be too heavy for hot weather operations?

I had a look at my own gym shorts - apparently I don't see what you see! ;D

rmc_wannabe said:

Just a thought.

Now imagine the bulkiness of having all of the fabric of a full pocket under each pocket on the outside of the shirt and jacket/parka.

Michael O'Leary said:
Now imagine the bulkiness of having all of the fabric of a full pocket under each pocket on the outside of the shirt and jacket/parka.

Wouldn't be that bad if you just had the bellow reversed when the reverse face fabric was face out and the pockets setup as a 'pass-thru' design.  Pocket flaps would be the bulkiest things.

The US looked at doing a reversible BDU in the mid 90's, but the project never got past the experimentation stage.
http://www.natick.army.mil/soldier/media/fact/individual/Reversible_BDU.htm

I don't think you'd be able to print temperate and arid cadpat on the Canadian combat cloth though.  The material seems too lightweight and porous.  I think the dyes from the opposite patterns would bleed into each other far too much to make it workable on the current Canadian textile.

Retired CC said:
That seems a sensible idea - I wonder if it would cause the material to be too heavy for hot weather operations?

I had a look at my own gym shorts - apparently I don't see what you see! ;D

Thats something i was thinking too...it would be rather heavy, and yer Michael I see your point about it being bulky. Meh, it's just something i thought of :-\.

(btw Retired CC, i have no idea why my shorts are reversable, just something i noticed ;))

rmc_wannabe said:
Thats something i was thinking too...it would be rather heavy, and yer Michael I see your point about it being bulky. Meh, it's just something i thought of :-\.

(btw Retired CC, i have no idea why my shorts are reversable, just something i noticed ;))

Keep thinking, all great ideas started with someone contemplating something apparently innocuous (like gym shorts, for instance).

It's interesting to note, as Matt_Fisher has, that your idea had enough merit that it has already been experimented with by the US Army - that it was ultimately rejected does not mean it was a "bad" idea - don't dismiss such originality as easily as "Meh, it's just something I thought of".

When I was kid, shovelling the G.D. sidewalk after a major snowfall, I began to wonder why we couldn't just heat the sidewalk and melt the snow away.  Imagine my surprise a few years later when I learned that this is EXACTLY what is done on some major plaza's in front of downtown office towers.  Just because I wasn't the ONLY one (or that someone else, unbeknownst to me, had thought of it earlier) to think of it doesn't make the idea any less valid.

I with many others wearing the old combats just rolled around in the dust and voila we had desert camo in Yakima,for our vehicles we made a mud puddle and used whisk brooms dipped in said puddle and we had great camo!!

You use your terrain and adapt!!!

Back