• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grammar and Sentence Structures

It's not about getting a cookie...it's about communication.  Just as manners are not about pleasing your mom, they're about social interaction.

Spelling mistakes and grammatical errors are serious in the medical world, the military world, or the world of technology.  If you don't adhere to the standards of the language, people get killed, get the wrong medical procedure performed on them, or cause industrial accidents when the chemicals or technology get put in the wrong order.  This isn't about critiquing your grammar and spelling to make you feel small...it's about getting you to fix it so that you're playing in the same field as everyone else.  Unlike your mom, or your highschool friends, it isn't about correcting your behaviour for the sake of correcting it.  It's about correcting your behaviour to conform to the social norm, so that what you are trying to do, communicate, is what you actually achieve.  It's important for that reason, not because contractions make use of apostrophes.

Sloppy spelling and grammar leads to sloppy thinking...as you expect everyone to fill the the blanks for your errors in spelling, so will you expect them to fill in the blanks for your poorly written/phrased/conceived ideas, because words are thoughts...."Well, of course you need to ground the circuit before you start playing with it, I just left that part out because, well, you know what I mean...".  Really?  And how is the poor dead guy supposed to know that?  If you don't say what you mean, you can't ever mean what you say.

If someone tells you to bring the Captains' dinner in, and you bring a single plate to a room full of Captains, how dumb are you going to look?  Similarly, if you're told to bring the Captain's dinner, and you bring in a whole turkey, you'll look just as dumb.  Maybe you wouldn't make that mistake...but others, following your written directions COULD.  So follow the rules!

CS, VX, what's the difference?  You know what I mean!

Thaern said:
Look it appears that this is getting way out of hand. Sorry Trinity if I've offended you, that was not my intent

1) applogy accepted...  learning is all that is important to me
2) I do disagree; you did mean to offend me (even if it was unconscious)

People around tend to put little shots in their responses that will aggravate
the other poster to no end...

Example,

Listen up little man,
OK Smartass,
If you knew your job
OK recruit

Twice in your post, you did the same which I've previously pointed out
and don't need to do it again.  You can't deny you knew you were doing it
but we do it in jest, but our little jests are quite often meant to quietly jab
at the other person.

We use humour as a way to insult the other person, but, we can claim
it was just humour when in fact the secondary meaning of insult is quite clear.
Its a game we play in society.

These little shots detract from the factual part of posts and actually stir up
the frustration and anger within the posts, and, sometimes even come off
as legitimate argument when in fact they have nothing to do with the post.

So... if people (including you and me) are to learn anything from this interaction,
then it should be to not include these little parting shots. I had to double check my
posts to you... since I even through one accidentally at which point I deleted it before posting.

And as for the Please don't kill me comment.  Not necessary was it?  Although I have been stern
in my posts, I have not been mean or nasty.  Its, to me, just another jest which isn't appropriate
unless I knew you.

Edit.... for grammar and spelling  ::) ::)

Thaern said:
Or is it because they want to show off and act superior and arrogant toward the rest of the users?  Well after a bit of research and looking at other posts from people who contributed here I would have to conclude that is most likely the latter of the two.

Using proper spelling and punctuation is acting superior and arrogant? :-\

Look all I’m trying to say is that people who post: "I always use proper english.  People who don't are stupid and lazy" read to -me- as: "look at me I’m trying to impress other people with a skill that your basic 7th grade student should be well on their way to mastering."  Heaven knows I tried to show this hilarious fashion while poking fun at myself but i guess there is too much of a generation gap and comments that I think should be light hearted and funny end up coming across as insulting, arrogant, insolent, degrading, annoying, etc. 

We already know that we are lazy and many of us are in fact stupid we don’t need other people pointing it out for us.  ;D

To add to what Piper has written, we all know generally how difficult it can be to effectively communicate an idea or emotion in print.  This more then goes to the point that there is a need to maintain proper grammer and spelling. 

I would think that everyone can agree that we all want what we are writing to make sense.  Would this still count as the "trying to impress" that Thaern speaks?  I don't think so....

Thaern,

Thank you for holding yourself up as the 'Poster Child' of what not to be in this thread, and a sparkling example of the reason that it was started in the first place. :salute:

Thaern said:
Look all I’m trying to say is that people who post: "I always use proper english.  People who don't are stupid and lazy" read to -me- as: "look at me I’m trying to impress other people with a skill that your basic 7th grade student should be well on their way to mastering."  Heaven knows I tried to show this hilarious fashion while poking fun at myself but i guess there is too much of a generation gap and comments that I think should be light hearted and funny end up coming across as insulting, arrogant, insolent, degrading, annoying, etc. 

And what we have been trying to say is... you were innappropriate in your post(s) and in the manner you tried.

I gave you a perfectly good out in my last post.  All you had to do was acknowledge and say thanks, learn from
your mistake instead of trying to defend it to the last breath. 

You screwed up. That's OK.  We all do. 
Not admitting to your screw up is what is bringing this wrath upon you.

You could put all of this to rest and gain some respect by admitting this,
that is, if you can at least recognize that you may be wrong (and since enough
people are letting you know that you crossed a line, that may be a hint)

The choice is yours.  I do not care either way.  But recognize I'm probably the
only one who hasn't made fun of you, attacked you, or belittled you.  I have been
honest and caring (although stern) the entire time.  But from now on, your next post
is going to decide how you interact for a very long time here at Army.ca.

Ball is in your court.  What is your move?

Trinity said:
You could put all of this to rest and gain some respect by admitting this....
Admit nothing.....just stop typing. No response required. Stop.

Lolz u start thread cuz u h8 msn speek guess me postar child cuz me so 1337 m i rite?

I find it truly amazing that a person who has been shown so much patients, would respond with that last post.

Thaern, not only are you out of your lane, your travelling the wrong direction on a multi-lane freeway.

The only way this will not end badly for you is to stop, now.

If indeed you are a recruit, as your profile states, both your attitude and your actions here, will not work well for you in the Forces.

Have a nice day

You are childish, that's for sure. You're also getting the attention you seem to crave so badly, from me, welcome to the warning system.

sdimock said:
I find it truly amazing that a person who has been shown so much patients, would respond with that last post.

I'm new to this topic entirely, and I have no idea what it is about. I do know, however, that the title is "Grammar and Sentence Structures"

I couldn't help but notice the irony.

patience
n.
1. The capacity, quality, or fact of being patient.

I stand corrected.

I searched on Dictionary.com for patients and didn't notice that the result did not have the "s" on the end.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=patients

adj.
1. Bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance with calmness.

Live and learn, spelling has never been my strong suit.

With the difficulties I had earlier on with the spell check, I've relied on Dictionary.com quite heavily.

Attention to detail, makes all the difference.

Chimo

<edited for spelling and grammer>

Thaern said:
Lolz u start thread cuz u h8 msn speek guess me postar child cuz me so 1337 m i rite?

Where do we get these guys?

::)

Regards

sd, it was an unnecessary dig at your use of "patients (more than one patient)", vice "patience", I believe.

Thaern:

Hmmm... I am going to stop and think for a moment.  Work with me here...

(1)  This is a privately owned Board.

(2)  The owner of this Board has established rules for many things including membership, posting privileges and grammar.

(3)  The owner of this Board has appointed moderators to enforce the rules.

(4)  The moderators have politely asked you to refrain from MSN-speak.

(5)  You b*tch about the rules.

(6)  You b*itch about the moderators enforcing the rules.

(7)  You don't have the common courtesy to write in a legible fashion even after being instructed to do so.

Now for a refresher, let's briefly go back to points #1, 2 and 3, shall we??? This a privately owned Board with rules established and enforced at the discretion of the OWNER of this Board. 

Have a little respect.  Grow up and communicate like an adult... or are you really too lazy to properly convey your thoughts?

Wow, simply wow, put on the warning system for nothing more than simply posting in leet/msn speak.  Which, by the way, took me more that 5 minutes to actually write since I'm really not that good at doing it.  I mean if it was something truly offensive (yes i know you could consider that truly offensive but i mean vulgar) then sure a warning would be a good idea.  But seriously some of you guys are taking things way to far.  I honestly cant believe that some of you thought that post was meant to be taken as anything but jest.  Alright from now all all attempts at humor orlightheartedness's (i think thats all one word!?)  are over, its clear that the best way to communicate with people on this forum is in straight, dry, unemotional, text.

P.S. Lighten up Scott, you can hate me, but don't go abusing your admin because of it.  Find a real, not personal, reason to ban me.

Thaern said:
Wow, simply wow, put on the warning system for nothing more than simply posting in leet/msn speak.  Which, by the way, took me more that 5 minutes to actually write since I'm really not that good at doing it.  I mean if it was something truly offensive (yes i know you could consider that truly offensive but i mean vulgar) then sure a warning would be a good idea.  But seriously some of you guys are taking things way to far.  I honestly cant believe that some of you thought that post was meant to be taken as anything but jest.  Alright from now all all attempts at humor orlightheartedness's (i think thats all one word!?)  are over, its clear that the best way to communicate with people on this forum is in straight, dry, unemotional, text.

P.S. Lighten up Scott, you can hate me, but don't go abusing your admin because of it.  Find a real, not personal, reason to ban me.

Sigh.

Okay.  Let's go back to rules #1,2 and 3.

Pal... this ain't a democracy.  It is a benevolent dictatorship.  You don't have posting *rights* here.  You have posting *privileges*.

Thaern said:
Wow, simply wow, put on the warning system for nothing more than simply posting in leet/msn speak.

Let's be clear: you were put on warning for trolling, not for "l33t speak." Scott is not abusing his admin rights, he's using them to ensure Army.ca remains interesting and pertinent for it's users.

Back