• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grammar and Sentence Structures

Calvin said:
Just a thought as anything compulsory should be thouroughly scrutinized.  Is it possible to allow a member to post ONLY AFTER a spellcheck has been completed?  A member has the ability to 'ignore' any words or portions thereof that are intentional.  While I agree with a previous poster that the spellcheck should be the last resort, (society is becoming too dependent on this feature), it may help people pay attention to detail.

I wish there was a function that would see the old spring loaded boxing glove fly out of the monitor if someone ignored corrections on the spellcheck, guess computers aren't quite that smart yet. The bottom line is it is just simple ignorance. I don't claim to have the best spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure but I do try. But what is maddening to me, more than anything, is the people who come here and say, "I don't think it's important so I am not going to try" I suffer fits trying to decipher their posts. If some would just get rid of the gigantic chip on their shoulder and put forth a half decent effort when asked then we wouldn't have the problem, or at least we wouldn't have 6+ pages dedicated to it.

CFL said:
The only thing I want to say on this is that not everyone speaks or writes English as their first language.
Those that do speak English as their primary language should be nudged and not crucified to write a little more professionally.

You are right with that one. But I have seen English as second language guys try harder than the fellas who've spoken it all their life. Maddening. No one here gets crucified, we try to help them - until they cop the attitude and just keep on going as before, then we start with the warnings.

Just a random thought, I've noticed that the grammar and language used in this particular topic is well above the average found throughout the rest of the forum.  Now this brings me to my second thought for the day, is this because people who care about grammar are more likely to post here? Or is it because they want to show off and act superior and arrogant toward the rest of the users?  Well after a bit of research and looking at other posts from people who contributed here I would have to conclude that is most likely the latter of the two.  There are several people here who used perfect grammar and punctuation in their posts under this topic, yet the language and grammar used by these individuals is severely lacking elsewhere.  Well those are my two thoughts of the day, I think I need to give my brain a break before I hurt myself.

(P.S. I also like feeling arrogant, grammar ftw)

Wait just a minute

Thaern...

you've been on this site for LESS than 24 hours....

Who are you to say this about ANYONE's post. 
Have you actually taken time to review the previous posts
of ALL the members in this thread?  REALLY?  I doubt it.

You come out of no where and then criticize people? Not just
people, but servicemen who have been in for 20 year or MORE
and you're just a recruit. 

Stay in your lane buddy.  That's a heads up.

Trinity said:
Thaern...
Stay in your lane buddy.  That's a heads up.
Welcome to the site - - you have a Padre jacking you up ! ! !  too funny  ;D

Thaern said:
Now this brings me to my second thought for the day,

See , that is where you went wrong, you had a thought and followed it by another one.  For the love of god....stop thinking !!

"I wish there was a function that would see the old spring loaded boxing glove fly out of the monitor if someone ignored corrections on the spellcheck, guess computers aren't quite that smart yet."

- Too bad, or they could launch a frozen mukluk out of the screen at the monkeys who wrote spell checks that flag Canadian spelling, military abbreviations and so on.

On the alert box, one of the choices should be "Ignore Forever on all of My LOGINS", or somesuch.

Tom

Alright, first i said several people not all people, thank you Trinity for actually taking the time to read what i said.  Secondly its not hard to find other posts made by the same user.  Thirdly i don't need to screen all of their posts to see that they don't use perfect grammar, i figure about the first 10 posts is sufficient.  And lastly that post was "all in good fun" as we like to say, hence the mockery of myself at the end of it.  But don't worry Lt. i still love you  ;)

TCBF said:
"I wish there was a function that would see the old spring loaded boxing glove fly out of the monitor if someone ignored corrections on the spellcheck, guess computers aren't quite that smart yet."

- Too bad, or they could launch a frozen mukluk out of the screen at the monkeys who wrote spell checks that flag Canadian spelling, military abbreviations and so on.

On the alert box, one of the choices should be "Ignore Forever on all of My LOGINS", or somesuch.

Tom

Don't get me started, whole other thread right there.

Thaern said:
  But don't worry Lt. i still love you  ;)

Don't patronize me.  I don't appreciate it and it make you look like an arse.

Alright, first i said several people not all people, 

Ok.  Several people.  Here's your chance. In the 18 hours you were on the site, please show the me the posts of the
"several people" who's grammar was lacking.

thank you Trinity for actually taking the time to read what i said

Patronizing statement #2... 

Thaern said:
Thirdly i don't need to screen all of their posts to see that they don't use perfect grammar,

If you're going to make an accusation (as lame as it was) on this site you BACK IT UP.  These are senior
soldiers who deserve respect and flaming them for your own admitted sense of self arrogance, is NOT ON.

Thaern,

Trinity has a very good point. Coming on to the site and, within your first five posts, criticizing members for asking that people use proper language arts skills, could be considered trolling. In fact I do consider it trolling. You are pointing out our faults, as you perceive them, for what reason? Are you just looking for a reaction? I am curious.

I try to post with proper attention to the language arts at all times. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain. I always use spellcheck and always punctuate - any errors regarding the former are few and very far between.

If I wanted to feel superior I would just use my intellect, wit and charm.  ;D ::) :-X Why would I waste time on grammar and spelling?

I'd say the Padre is on a roll...

And the entertainment is just one of the many things that brings me back to Army.ca everyday. :dontpanic:

*doo do doo doo doooooo, I'm Lovin' It!* ;D

;D
Thaern said:
Alright,. Ffirst; (i) said several people, not all people,. Tthank you Trinity, for actually taking the time to read what (i) said.  Secondly; it's not hard to find other posts made by the same user.  Thirdly; (i) don't need to screen all of their posts to see that they don't use perfect grammar,. (i) figure about the first 10 posts is sufficient.  And lastly; that post was "all in good fun" as we like to say, hence the mockery of myself at the end of it.  But don't worry Lt. (i) still love you  ;)

Thaern said:
Secondly its not hard to find other posts made by the same user.
Darn right on that call!  ;D

Too much time on my hands this fine morning.  ;)

This is clearly the sort of errant pedantry, up with which we shall not put!

Too much free time indeed  ;)

Journeyman said:
This is clearly the sort of errant pedantry, up with which we shall not put!

Too much free time indeed  ;)

Alright mister, that's enough of that kind of language  :threat:

Look it appears that this is getting way out of hand. Sorry Trinity if I've offended you, that was not my intent, i was just trying to bring some light hearted humor about people taking grammar too seriously but i guess I've clearly failed.  I would also like to apologize to anyone else who was offended by these posts, sorry guys and gals.  Like i said i was just trying to have a bit 'o fun with this topic and things seem to have spiraled out of control, Sorry bout that.

You tried (and failed) to draw attention to something that is not an issue, i.e., taking the effort to write well.  Someone who does their best to practice good writing; use of correct punctuation, grammar, spelling, capitalization and, perhaps most importantly, appropriate tone, will seldom be misunderstood.  Those who do not care for exerting any effort in this regard often suffer the slings and barbs of other because their prose is difficult to understand, which easily leads to failing to get the responses they seek through simple misunderstanding.  In the extreme, the contributions of those who feel their time is too important to spend on writing well (perhaps programming their iPod or cell phone takes precedence) insults others by expecting the recipient(s) to make an extra effort to decipher their posts and guess what the question may be before providing a response.  It's easy to brush this objection aside by saying "if you don't like the way it's written, don’t answer", but if the one person who has the exact information being sought takes that option, the question never receives the treatment a few extra minutes in drafting it would have achieved.  Lastly, and a point that has been made a number of times on the forums, effective written communications is an asset, and a requirement for promotion by service members.  For this reason, if not for any based on actually desiring effective online interaction, new posters should be aware of and accept that good writing standards are a desirable skill, one which they can actually use the Forums to practice and improve.

Oh boy, i know this is just going to open a whole other can and i suspect im going to be making another apologie sometime in the near future but....  I was not trying to insult people who take the time to write well, but the people who think that becuase they do it is something special and they deserve a cookie.  I agree that taking the time to capatalize punctuate and spell check are good things, but you dont deserve a medal for doing so.  I dont ask for a medal every time i brush my teeth or remember to wash my hands(though maybe for this one i should).  I was just trying to draw attention to the people who think they are special because they do use proper grammar and how outside of this topic they failed to do as they claimed.  I also hate leet and msn speak, but that doesnt mean im going around congradulating myself for not using it.  (please dont kill me Trinity, i go to church every sunday, well.... atleast more than once a month)

Thaern said:
Oh boy, i know this is just going to open a whole other can and i suspect im going to be making another apologie sometime in the near future but....  I was not trying to insult people who take the time to write well, but the people who think that becuase they do it is something special and they deserve a cookie.  I agree that taking the time to capatalize punctuate and spell check are good things, but you dont deserve a medal for doing so.  I dont ask for a medal every time i brush my teeth or remember to wash my hands(though maybe for this one i should).  I was just trying to draw attention to the people who think they are special because they do use proper grammar and how outside of this topic they failed to do as they claimed.  I also hate leet and msn speak, but that doesnt mean im going around congradulating myself for not using it.  (please dont kill me Trinity, i go to church every sunday, well.... atleast more than once a month)

You know, I was going to modify your post but thought better of it. I wanted to quote it and leave it up as a shining example of someone trolling.

Your first post in this thread:
Thaern said:
Just a random thought, I've noticed that the grammar and language used in this particular topic is well above the average found throughout the rest of the forum.  Now this brings me to my second thought for the day, is this because people who care about grammar are more likely to post here? Or is it because they want to show off and act superior and arrogant toward the rest of the users?  Well after a bit of research and looking at other posts from people who contributed here I would have to conclude that is most likely the latter of the two.  There are several people here who used perfect grammar and punctuation in their posts under this topic, yet the language and grammar used by these individuals is severely lacking elsewhere.  Well those are my two thoughts of the day, I think I need to give my brain a break before I hurt myself.

(P.S. I also like feeling arrogant, grammar ftw)

Big differences, eh? I really don't think it's too smart for someone to post in a thread about proper use of the English language and not concern themselves with such proper use. I find your latest post an immature attempt to get things going in here by purposely ignoring good English habits and skills. As Michael said earlier, someone who does their best to write well (Proper use of grammar, punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, etc.) will seldom be misunderstood. You didn't even make an attempt with your last.

Note the bold type, that is what I expect, not perfection, just an effort, you've made none. You could have made half an effort by using the spellcheck, it is included with the forum software, however, I suspect you were to intent on mashing the post button to worry about that. Most members of this site, probably 99% easy, do their best, why do you choose to stand out? We all make mistakes and I can handle someone doing so, no one is perfect, but you went out of your way to ignore everything that this thread discusses.

I'm with RecceDG, why are you taking up this cause? I can think of better things to do.

Consider this a warning, do not pull a stunt like that again or be introduced to the warning system.

Scott
Army.ca Staff

Back