• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Game Changer

Rexracer

Inactive
Reaction score
First off I'd like to thank the admin of this web site, so much information, a lot of my questions have already been answered!!!!

So as my post count indicates this is my first post. I submitted my application after work last night and found this place shortly after, and I've been reading ever since. I call this a "game changer" because that's exactly what it is for me. For the past for the past 6 years I've been a foreman for a small construction company, I previously had been with the company for 2.5 years, when I took time off to explore other options and I also picked up a logistics management course during that time. Over the last two years I've grown unhappy with my career path, I've become increasingly unhappy with guys who don't want to come to work or who are just "blanks" collecting paycheques. I also find the work to no longer be rewarding or desirable, At 28 I've decided to make good on something I promised myself in 2008 when I was also considering military service. I must say I am very excited and eager to start this next adventure in my life, I can't wait to be back on a team where everyone wants to come to work every day. Although every e-mail I receive right now has me grasping at my phone with excitement, I understand it could take some time to get the ball rolling! And get this process underway. In the meantime I plan to continue to make myself a better potential recruit, by continuing to maintain my fitness level which I would describe as excellent t as I'm currently prepping for tough mudder, as well as try and add to my certificates, currently I hold a couple heavy equipment tickets, B.C. class 3 with air DL, first aid, fall protection etc standard construction stuff, pay off the credit card(race car problems), as the previous states I am a big time car enthusiast and very mechanically inclined. I would also like to freshen up on my student skills as its been a long time since I was in any sort of classroom. I'll update this as I go any comments or suggestions are always welcome !!!!

Trade choices
1. Air weapons systems tech
2. Aerospace control operator
3. Avionics systems tech

These I found to me at least to be pretty awesome jobs, I fully expect it to be challenging but if my time as a working professional has taught me anything is that challenges are here to be met

Thanks for reading
Cheers

Rex, congrats on taking the first big step! I hope that everything goes smoothly for you. Be persistent, keep working hard and I'm sure the wait will be worth it!!

flatlander13 said:
Rex, congrats on taking the first big step! I hope that everything goes smoothly for you. Be persistent, keep working hard and I'm sure the wait will be worth it!!

Hey thanks flatlander!!, I think the wait will be worth it as well, spent this morning picking up a few documents I needed on my way home from work (night shift), gonna start doing some practice quizzes and working on getting used to metric measurements again Lol

Make sure to check out the threads regarding prepping for the CFAT and interview -- some very helpful links and suggestions to be found!

flatlander13 said:
Make sure to check out the threads regarding prepping for the CFAT and interview -- some very helpful links and suggestions to be found!

Oh for sure, I've got a copy of the practice test, been through a few pages of either thread great info in there

Wow its been almost a year already since I first submitted my application. I did my CFAT in January of this year, it was harder than I expected. I worked on areas I know I'm weak in, but I have to say it was an eye opener. I was told that I qualified but that there was a lot of applicants and that my score was on the competitive bubble. Fair enough I was advised to wait itout and see how it staked up with other scores as the year progressed. Fast foreward to 2 weeks ago I got the call for my medical. I was shocked to say the least, but fist pumping, horn honking excited. People stared cause I was at a traffic light. PI pretty much dropped my bulking pt program and got down to cardio cardio cardio, since the most I've done in the last 4 months has been a hockey game here and there. Unfortunately Friday night I came down with something,  spent the weekend sleeping and munching echinacea, and my exam is tomorrow, luckily I feel pretty decent today so I'm gonna smash off one more run tonight after work! I have to say being back on this whirlwind is awesome, but I know it'll be back to waiting after tomorrow, but still brings back all the excited feelings I had when I first submitted

Rexracer said:
Wow its been almost a year already since I first submitted my application. I did my CFAT in January of this year, it was harder than I expected. I worked on areas I know I'm weak in, but I have to say it was an eye opener. I was told that I qualified but that there was a lot of applicants and that my score was on the competitive bubble. Fair enough I was advised to wait itout and see how it staked up with other scores as the year progressed. Fast foreward to 2 weeks ago I got the call for my medical. I was shocked to say the least, but fist pumping, horn honking excited. People stared cause I was at a traffic light. PI pretty much dropped my bulking pt program and got down to cardio cardio cardio, since the most I've done in the last 4 months has been a hockey game here and there. Unfortunately Friday night I came down with something,  spent the weekend sleeping and munching echinacea, and my exam is tomorrow, luckily I feel pretty decent today so I'm gonna smash off one more run tonight after work! I have to say being back on this whirlwind is awesome, but I know it'll be back to waiting after tomorrow, but still brings back all the excited feelings I had when I first submitted

That's great to hear buddy, glad you got your call. Now I'm in the phase you were in. I've also been told I'm competitive but now I'm waiting for the medical and interview phone call haha good luck on the rest of your process!

Moore said:
That's great to hear buddy, glad you got your call. Now I'm in the phase you were in. I've also been told I'm competitive but now I'm waiting for the medical and interview phone call haha good luck on the rest of your process!

Thanks man !! I'm trying not to get too excited, but it's hard not to. Best advice I can give is find something to occupy your time I'm lucky in that work was insane this summer and I spent a lot of time camping so it kept my mind busy and helped me resist the urge to live by the phone. It's funny cause just before I got the call I had a meeting down the road from the cfrc in New Westminster. I thought to myself I should stop by and see what's up

Rexracer said:
Thanks man !! I'm trying not to get too excited, but it's hard not to. Best advice I can give is find something to occupy your time I'm lucky in that work was insane this summer and I spent a lot of time camping so it kept my mind busy and helped me resist the urge to live by the phone. It's funny cause just before I got the call I had a meeting down the road from the cfrc in New Westminster. I thought to myself I should stop by and see what's up

I'm a pretty skinny guy so I think part of my time will be spent going to the gym a lot to bulk up before I get screwed over haha. Keep your thread updated!

Moore said:
I'm a pretty skinny guy so I think part of my time will be spent going to the gym a lot to bulk up before I get screwed over haha. Keep your thread updated!

I hear ya on that one, I went from 6'3" 170 lbs up to 200lbs the progression up to 215lbs has been painfully slow and I don't really like the way I feel. I feel kinda slow. I'm hoping to end off around 205-210 I liked how I felt better!

Will do I'll hopefully have an update of some sort tmorrow

Rexracer said:
I hear ya on that one, I went from 6'3" 170 lbs up to 200lbs the progression up to 215lbs has been painfully slow and I don't really like the way I feel. I feel kinda slow. I'm hoping to end off around 205-210 I liked how I felt better!

Will do I'll hopefully have an update of some sort tmorrow

I'm 6 feet, 130 pounds lol. You can imagine how thin I look I hope my process takes atleast 6 months so I can get my weight up to atleast 145. I'm skinny but I'm glad I can do 30 proper push ups straight so I've got that part down!

Moore said:
I'm 6 feet, 130 pounds lol. You can imagine how thin I look I hope my process takes atleast 6 months so I can get my weight up to atleast 145. I'm skinny but I'm glad I can do 30 proper push ups straight so I've got that part down!

Got me beat. I'm a hair under 6' and 170lbs but push-ups are not my thing. I can do chin-ups like they're nothing though.

Wow do I feel fat/large, I'm 6'4 290lbs. Mind you I was a offensive lineman and power forward back when I played hockey.

Hahaha I'm not sure how many chin ups I'm able to do but I try to do 25 push-ups straight throughout the day atleast 4 times so I end up doig 100 a day. 25 before bed, or before my showers etc. It's helped me out a lot. Buying some good running shoes next Friday since Im pretty sure I'll get a medical and interview one day so I'm not going to go into BMQ like a slug.

Actually what helped me out the most was p90x I've done it 3 or 4 times now, before that I wasn't really into working out just played lots of lacrosse and hockey. Before doing that program I could only do 5 push ups and 2 or 3 pull ups these days I'm up to 5 sets of 20 of push ups and 5 sets of 12-15 of pull ups I had a setback in 2012 broke my collar bone downhill mountain biking, so it was back to square one but Im reasonably happy with my progression. For you hard gainer guys I would recommend this program and a quality gainer protein for a bit and then a good isolate, I found that's what worked for me, all I've done since is increasing weight and try and keep things interesting so my body can't get used to the work outs

Well that was fun!! Nothing really to report I have some extra forms to get filled out by my doctor because one of the positions I applied for is an air crew position.  Better to get it all done at once than have to send it off seperatly and wait for processing twice ! Hoping I can have it all done in the next couple days(I'm trying not to take another day off work)

Rexracer said:
Well that was fun!! Nothing really to report I have some extra forms to get filled out by my doctor because one of the positions I applied for is an air crew position.  Better to get it all done at once than have to send it off seperatly and wait for processing twice ! Hoping I can have it all done in the next couple days(I'm trying not to take another day off work)

That's crazy I've looked at the p90x 3 as well that someone at bmq recommended. An that's good to hear about the forms hopefully it's quick

Moore said:
That's crazy I've looked at the p90x 3 as well that someone at bmq recommended. An that's good to hear about the forms hopefully it's quick

I would start with the original p90x it's intense, before moving on to p90x3! Also I noticed the pushup and pull up sets I marked down are X2 since you do everything twice  ;D . I should have it all taken care of next week as it takes 3 business days for processing. My new doctor is a little crazy and won't fax the results off for me so I'm just going to hand the results in myself once they're ready. Also I should mention the indepth eye exam does have a cost depending on what your eye doc charges mine will run 110$

Rexracer said:
I would start with the original p90x it's intense, before moving on to p90x3! Also I noticed the pushup and pull up sets I marked down are X2 since you do everything twice  ;D . I should have it all taken care of next week as it takes 3 business days for processing. My new doctor is a little crazy and won't fax the results off for me so I'm just going to hand the results in myself once they're ready. Also I should mention the indepth eye exam does have a cost depending on what your eye doc charges mine will run 110$

Wait what? We have to pay for our eyes to be checked for our medical?

Moore said:
Wait what? We have to pay for our eyes to be checked for our medical?

Because I'm doing the air crew portion, it requires additional screening. The test they performed at the cfrc was obviously done at no cost. I'm not sure if there will be reimbursement or not but I'm going to claim it on my work plan which will reimburse me. It's only 110$ I mean it cost me 90$ to fuel my truck a week not the end of the world

Back