• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future of the OPME program/Everything you ever wanted to know about OPME

Perhaps the new courses should;

be offered to NCOs and above only

require an approved memo from a members chain of command (stating at the least why they want the courses)

get more staff/support to handle the admin.

ObedientiaZelum said:

require an approved memo from a members chain of command (stating at the least why they want the courses)

Guess you meant to say SNCO'S 

ObedientiaZelum said:

That would alleviate the individuals who enrole and either don't need them at this point in their career or the ones that are enroling and then dropping out without any repercussions. IE- Pte and Cpls.

Regards

Too funny; you guys are talking about Officer Professional Military Education, right? And how those Pte/Cpls should be restricted.

;)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that RMC offered the OPME courses to anyone. I mean that any CF member could have done up an ILP and then registered with RMC directly (as opposed to the OPME program) and taken the OPME courses (The last 4 courses anyways). Then do a prior learning assessment through OPME.

If I needed the courses, that is what I would have done.

Journeyman said:
Too funny; you guys are talking about Officer Professional Military Education, right? And how those Pte/Cpls should be restricted.

And as long as OPME's count as a point at merit boards they will de facto be NCM/NCO professional education. Getting rid of OPME's or whatever they are replaced with, as a point at the merit boards and replacing them with a NCM/NCO professional development system would alleviate much of the registration problems.

winnipegoo7 said:
If I needed the courses, that is what I would have done.
Yes, the program is open to anyone. While you have a cunning short-cut to stick-handle around the process, RMC simply forwards their registrations to the OPME office and you wait in line like everyone else....except you've now added one or two people to the bureaucratic loop.

And thanks jeffb, I actually understand the system and how PERs work. I just thought it was funny that one level of NCM was deciding how to circumscribe another level in a program originally developed for neither group.

Your sense of humour may vary.

Going off what I heard from the guy at CDA responsible for this, OPME should be done as of April 2013.  From then on, CFJOD (Junior Officer Development) program will be an online, professional (ie, non-academic) development program for Officers at the DP 2 level while the NCM program will be developed separately.

The question still remains... what about those who aren't quite finished the OPMEs... I myself have 2 courses left, one of which being the cheapo-easy ones. Do I rush and finish a dying program in the winter semester or wait it out?

Journeyman said:
Yes, the program is open to anyone. While you have a cunning short-cut to stick-handle around the process, RMC simply forwards their registrations to the OPME office and you wait in line like everyone else....except you've now added one or two people to the bureaucratic loop.

If I am in the BMASc program and I apply for PSE 402 (which is offered through RMC's distance learning http://www.rmc.ca/aca/dcs-dep/co-cc-12-13-eng.asp) RMC would send my registration to the OPME office?

Nerf herder said:
Well, I registered today for the winter session.

No doubt ill get rejected for a Pte in Kingston yet again, even though I registered meer moments agfter registration opened.

It's been the trend as of late, at least from most Snr NCOs POV where I work.

Regards

I know the feeling; I have one left to do and have attempted to get loaded onto it for the past 3 years --- every session - immediately after registration opens.

Haven't got the f'n thing yet, but 2 Cpls I work with did (one registered AFTER I did - go figure that "first come first served" isn't always true). Far from impressed.

BobSlob said:
The question still remains... what about those who aren't quite finished the OPMEs... I myself have 2 courses left, one of which being the cheapo-easy ones. Do I rush and finish a dying program in the winter semester or wait it out?

AFAIK, there was plans to release a CANFORGEN describing what OPME credits translate into CFJOD credits - some of the 6 OPMEs are directly translatable into one of the 7 CFJOD courses.

Infanteer said:
AFAIK, there was plans to release a CANFORGEN describing what OPME credits translate into CFJOD credits - some of the 6 OPMEs are directly translatable into one of the 7 CFJOD courses.

So to confirm, the people who have completed OPME will *still* have to do bits of the CFJOD?

When I read the BN from CDA it said that if you have COMPLETED the OPME programme then you will not be required to undergo any additional courses.

MC

Journeyman said:

I have done a couple OPME courses this way (going through RMC due to my ILP).  There is no waiting in line by registering for the course through RMC.  There are a limited number of spots, but I have signed up even a week into when the registration has opened and still gotten in.  It is indicated on the RMC portal how many spots are left and that number will go down by one once you submit your registration.

Dimsum said:
So to confirm, the people who have completed OPME will *still* have to do bits of the CFJOD?

No.  CFJOD will equal an OPME qual.

Is there any way you can let us in on what these 7 courses are? I'll have 5/6 done when the programme is scrapped and it would be nice to kinow how bad I'll be getting screwed.

Back