• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future of the OPME program/Everything you ever wanted to know about OPME

fhg1893

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there. 

Since this morning, RMC Division of Continuing Studies had a town-hall meeting with the Dean of the division who basically went over the WFA proceedures, and the future of DCS, AND, since I still handle WAY too many basic inquires, I thought I'd try a new tactic to save myself work and make things more efficient.  Behold my weak attempt at solving some problems!

Err.  Let me start over. 

Hi.  I work in the OPME office.  Chances are good that if you've ever applied for OPME's, I've communicated with you.  I've at least seen your name.  Please feel free to pick my brain about the admin process.  I don't know everything, but I know an awful lot.

For example: If you have DWAN, 9 times out of 10, you can fix your own portal problems!  I deal with Active X and Java issues routinely, it's a real simple fix.  Just close Internet explorer, and find the program in your Java folder called "ssvagent.exe" and run it.  That's it!  90% of time, this fixes everything.

Academic dates can always be found here:  http://www.opme.forces.gc.ca/pro-ser/adm/dat-eng.asp

Learn your academic dates!  They're regular, and repeating.  If you want to get onto a course three days after the close of registration, my perspective is very simple.  If I have a spot on the course, I'll entertain your request.  If I don't have a spot, the answer is no.  Considering your specific situation is well beyond my duties.  I'd love to accomodate your request for special dispensation because you were sick/deployed/on exercise/bereaved/whatever, but the fact is, if I have a spot, I might be able to slide you in.  If I don't have one, there's nothing I can do.

I'm litterally on the front-line of this shmozel now sweeping through RMC DCS, I'm about as much of an insider as you can get.  There are big changes comming to the programme.  For example:  if you want to get your OPME's done under the old academic rubric, then it's strongly advised that you get them done in Summer 2012, or Fall 2012.  I can't promise that the progamme will still exist in Winter 2013, there is now a reasonable chance that it will shut down early, and blow up in CDA's face incidentally. 

So have at 'er Milnet. 

Oh... I will start.  Firstly, thanks for stopping by our little corner of cyberspace.  I look forward to your input here and I think this is a good forum to communicate with the masses.

So the budget showed that DCS / OPME will be tightening the belt.  You have indicated that the OPME programme may implode.

Two questions. 

1) Given that the OMPE program delivers DP2 Common OGS to the Officer Corps then what will replace this training? 

2) I understand that the OGS and DP2 Common QS has been redone by CDA recently.  As such, it was through that the OMPE programme was going to change somewhat anyways and that OGS Common DP2 would be delivered by a less academic model that still reflected the common needs of the Officer Corps DP2. Given the work already done in moving the OPME progrmme in this direction, is this still scheduled to occur?

Look forward to your input.

MC

MedCorps said:
Oh... I will start.  Firstly, thanks for stopping by our little corner of cyberspace.  I look forward to your input here and I think this is a good forum to communicate with the masses.

So the budget showed that DCS / OPME will be tightening the belt.  You have indicated that the OPME programme may implode.

Two questions. 

1) Given that the OMPE program delivers DP2 Common OGS to the Officer Corps then what will replace this training? 

Right now, we don't know.  I did an assignment at CDA for a year, and I learned a lot about the process to get a course built from the ground up.  It takes at least 12-24 months.  Given the personel issues, and everybody jumping up for what the civil service calls deployment, not to be confused with military deployment, if things fall apart within this 12-24 month time frame, it's entirely possible that nothing will be offered until such time as the new program is built by CDA. 

As you can imagine, since DCS is being reduced by about half, everyone is trying to get out while the gettin's good, myself included.  In any case, the Dean advised the group today that IF the key staff, which would include me, are deployed, or resign, they will not be replaced, even with terms or casuals because there's no money.  If this happened, without having a replacement program ready and in place, then I would expect that this will create a gap, which RMC will not fill, and CDA will have nothing to deliver, at least temporarily.

What's the likelihood?  I can't be entirely sure, but quite high in my estimation.  My co-worker hasn't shared their plans with me, but my plans have me out of the department within 12 months, regardless of whether I remain in the public service or not.  That would leave two people to run OPME.  I expect that my co-worker will retire, leaving one.  And that person is the supervisor, and I can't see that person running the entire program.  It's just too much work for one person, no matter how committed.

MedCorps said:
2) I understand that the OGS and DP2 Common QS has been redone by CDA recently.  As such, it was through that the OMPE programme was going to change somewhat anyways and that OGS Common DP2 would be delivered by a less academic model that still reflected the common needs of the Officer Corps DP2. Given the work already done in moving the OPME progrmme in this direction, is this still scheduled to occur?

Look forward to your input.

MC

Yes.  The OPME program was originally concieved of as an academic enterprise which is why RMC is/was running it.  RMC is an accredited institution, able to grant proper academic credits.  CDA is not.  The justification for RMC divesting OPME is essentially this exactly.  It will, eventually, no longer be an academic programme, and strictly a professional development one.  Future OPME credits will almost certainly no longer be considered academic university credits.  Because of that, there's no reason for the OPME's to be run out of RMC, CDA is going to take over.  I expect that CDA will push it onto the environmental commands and make DP2 the responsibility of the Navy, Army, and Air Force.  Of course, that's speculation, but considering that CDA will be seeing reductions as well, I think they're going to decide that they already have enough to do, and pass the buck to your CoC's.

Edited with more detail.

I am currently working towards my DMASc.  It includes 3 of the OPME courses in it's curriculum.  As an NCM, I am not always guaranteed an OPME so I have added the RMC equivalent to my ILP (i.e. Paying for the course which is a sure thing vice losing out on the free "lottery").  Will these equivalents still exist if/when the OPME program finishes?

airmich said:
I am currently working towards my DMASc.  It includes 3 of the OPME courses in it's curriculum.  As an NCM, I am not always guaranteed an OPME so I have added the RMC equivalent to my ILP (i.e. Paying for the course which is a sure thing vice losing out on the free "lottery").  Will these equivalents still exist if/when the OPME program finishes?

Fortunately for you, probably.  RMC is going through some restructuring at the moment, so I can't be 100% sure.  I know that there is a plan to phase the courses through the OPME program out gradually.  However, this shouldn't affect RMC courses.  HIE208, POE206, HIE275 and PSE402 should still be offered through RMC, and RMC DCS.  But they will no longer be OPME courses.  They've always been RMC courses, and should continue to be RMC courses. 

It sounds like the OPME programme will once again return to the the pre-RMC OPDP.  I am not sure that is is not a bad thing, having done the OPDP and watched many of my colleagues do the short lives CFMSP and then the OMPE programme.

The academic credits that came along with many of the OMPE courses were a "nice to have" and arguably currently too rich for our fiscally tight wallets. They often give officers (who already have an undergraduate degree) a few more credits from RMC, for which to do nothing with.  I am also not sure that the academic nature of the OPME programme served the true requirements of OGS Common DP2 well.  Since the loss of Staff School as a DP2 Common residential activity and with the academic versus technical nature of the current OPME programme we have really lots come critical practical knowledge and skills in our junior officers. 

Maybe the new program will fix these problems.

Now I have been reading about the seven NCM required non-academic credit "OPME" courses that NCM PD is developing and about to roll out in order make the lives of NCMs as difficult as Lt's and Capt's ("Hell, they all wanted to do OPME's lets mandate their own seven credit program," was the exclamation I heard recently).

Where are these coming out of?  DCS or CDA or ???.  Who is developing and who is running? 

Thanks again.

MC

Good news, thank you.  I doubt it would be pleasant to have a curriculum change partway through a program.

On another note,  the academic dates show the course confirmation as 22 Apr which is a Sunday.  is that correct, or will it actually happen on the Monday?

MedCorps said:
Where are these coming out of?  DCS or CDA or ???.  Who is developing and who is running? 

Thanks again.

MC

I was actually present at one of those meetings, which given my substanive position in OPME was an interesting coincidence.  CDA is developing as far as I'm aware, NOT DCS.  I believe the plan was at the time to make NCMPD an ongoing proposition for NCM's.  I haven't been in the loop since then so I'm not entirely sure, but the exclamation, "they all want to do OPME anyway" is quite accurate.  I believe it's ~6000 applicants, ~2/3 of which are NCM's for OPME's per semester.  I'm guessing that CDA will shove it onto the environmental commands again, while maintaining arms-length oversight.

airmich said:
On another note,  the academic dates show the course confirmation as 22 Apr which is a Sunday.  is that correct, or will it actually happen on the Monday?

I did a batch of NCM confirmations today in fact, but that's only the beginning.  22nd April is more like a deadline, but given how many exceptions we typically make, and sometimes, outright mistakes that  we make, it could be before or after.

It's just me pushing out the confirmations at the moment, so between the telephone, voicemail, e-mail, and my regular administrative work processing course withdrawals, and finalizing outstanding registrations, I hope that I'll have ~90% of confirmations out within the next 10 days.  I expect that I'll end up missing the April 22nd deadline in at least ~10% of cases.

Just let me say well done to those currently coordinating, supervising and completing the OPME program.

I am so thankful that those of us who completed OPDP were granted exemption from OPME.  It took me 10 years (until 1996)  to complete the OPDP.  I have had few equally satisfying feelings than to know that sordid adventure called  professional development was behind me.

Can we expect the usual rejection letters any day now?  I have began registering for two at a time to play the odds. 

Spring_bok said:
Can we expect the usual rejection letters any day now?  I have began registering for two at a time to play the odds.

Soon.  Had a sick girl today to look after, so nothin' got done today. 

First thing is to finish off the Navy and their on-site courses.  Then comes finishing off outstanding withdrawal forms and applications.  Then, if the phone isn't ringing off the hook, and the e-mails have been reduced to a managable size, then I might be able to confirm the outstanding officers.  Then, I'll probably need to revisit the registration forms and withdrawals, they really do come in 24-7.  Then I might be able to start working on the NCM batches where I have to watch my numbers.  Then come rejections.  Next week I hope and pray, if I don't have to walk another 10-20 people through the registration process from start to finish in between answering e-mails.

fhg1893 said:
I was actually present at one of those meetings, which given my substanive position in OPME was an interesting coincidence.  CDA is developing as far as I'm aware, NOT DCS.  I believe the plan was at the time to make NCMPD an ongoing proposition for NCM's.  I haven't been in the loop since then so I'm not entirely sure, but the exclamation, "they all want to do OPME anyway" is quite accurate.  I believe it's ~6000 applicants, ~2/3 of which are NCM's for OPME's per semester.  I'm guessing that CDA will shove it onto the environmental commands again, while maintaining arms-length oversight.

Hi there ,
I can help shed a little light on the NCMPD plan - this document was released by "the Digital Chief" last week.

You can follow him on Facebook if you have an account, or his blog or twitter if you are interested in keeping up with NCMPD.

Spring_bok said:

Doing the same, hope I get them both. I've got time while deployed to do them. Even just one would be awesome, third times the charm for Intro Mil Law.

PuckChaser said:
Doing the same, hope I get them both. I've got time while deployed to do them. Even just one would be awesome, third times the charm for Intro Mil Law.

Not necessarily this semester.  Looks like both DCE001, and DCE002 have been reduced by 1/3.  Last semester, Winter 2012 I had 900 spaces for DCE001, and Fall 2011, I had 900 spaces for both.  This semester it looks like it's 600 each.  That's a big haircut for OPME's most popular courses.

Quick confirmation - Is the Fall 2012 session still on the table? 

I currently have two OPMEs left to complete (Ethics and Tech/Warfare).  I've already signed up for Ethics over the summer session and want to make sure the program will still be around for the final push in the fall.  Or...should I look at signing up for the second course and get them both done at the same time?  I'm not sure what the combined work load of the two would be...

BTW - Thanks for the post, as I'm sure it's a question that many at the half way point of the program are thinking about - I'd hate to get caught in the middle of a restructure!

Dirt Digger said:
Quick confirmation - Is the Fall 2012 session still on the table? 

I currently have two OPMEs left to complete (Ethics and Tech/Warfare).  I've already signed up for Ethics over the summer session and want to make sure the program will still be around for the final push in the fall.  Or...should I look at signing up for the second course and get them both done at the same time?  I'm not sure what the combined work load of the two would be...

BTW - Thanks for the post, as I'm sure it's a question that many at the half way point of the program are thinking about - I'd hate to get caught in the middle of a restructure!

As of right now, yes.  OPME is slated to run for three years, assuming that the staff, including me - or at this rate, just me, stick around that long.  As of right now, I'm the guy who's going to end up shutting the lights off when this thing finally runs out its budget.

I'm not planning on sticking around that long.  We've been told that DCS won't replace the staff, but if they have to they might.  Of course, sudden departures will make that a near-impossibility, I'm the only one who really knows how to run the systems.  The corporate knowledge is at risk if I depart.

In sum, OPME is budgeted until 2015, assuming they can keep the staff.  Two out of three aren't in the office now, and they don't want to return.  I'm the third.  And I'm saying to you that if things go my way, AND they don't replace me, this program will last a maximum of 12 months, possibly as little as 6 or 8.  I expect that they'll run courses in Fall 2012 - I expect that I'll last that long, but it wouldn't surprise me if those were the last before kicking this thing over to CDA. 

fhg1893 said:
Not necessarily this semester.  Looks like both DCE001, and DCE002 have been reduced by 1/3.  Last semester, Winter 2012 I had 900 spaces for DCE001, and Fall 2011, I had 900 spaces for both.  This semester it looks like it's 600 each.  That's a big haircut for OPME's most popular courses.

What does Canadian Military History look like?

PuckChaser said:
What does Canadian Military History look like?

No haircut yet.  It was a good bet for NCM's in Summer 2012.  Registration is currently closed, so I can't take any more, sorry.  A good number will not get on, but right now, the first ~70 or so who signed up for it should get on.  I have more than 350 requests for it.

Yikes, looks like I missed the cut for that as well, unless more people registered after the beginning of March. Fingers crossed!

Back