• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future of the OPME program/Everything you ever wanted to know about OPME

Reading through this post I felt kinda bad that I was one of "those guys" asking for late registration.  When I was told the course was full though I just waited and applied for this Fall's serials.

Not gonna lie, I'm immediately regretting taking 2 OPME's at once.  Live and learn.

Did anyone else get an acceptance e-mail after the courses started for this term?  I had recieved one before the course started for POE206, which was fine. On Friday(14 Sept) after I got back from the ranges, I had an e-mail waiting in my inbox informing me I was registered for PSE402.

Understanding that OPME is on its way out, it sort of grates a bit that as courses are still being run PLARs will no longer be processed... Whatever comes in next for NCMs, let's not pretend there won't be some equivalencies granted for those who already have some OPME or equivalent work done...

Gee, it's too bad fhg1893, the self-proclaimed expert on all things OPME, isn't around to help out.

He lasted about three weeks.  ::)

Journeyman said:
Gee, it's too bad fhg1893, the self-proclaimed expert on all things OPME, isn't around to help out.

He lasted about three weeks.  ::)

I'm just bitter and desperate to have my degree count for *some*thing, even if it's just cobbling together an OPME PO by PO.  ;D

Can students self nominate for the winter 2013 semester through the website now or will registration for those courses only become available at a certain time.

Apparently the DL session for this winter is back on. I will try to get more info on this and pass it on but something should be coming down the pipes soon.
Be patient though, I am no OPME expert and am relatively new to the NCM PD Coord job in Halifax.

Pat

For info, there are still seats available in Esquimalt and Halifax for the winter Residential phase for some courses. As well, for the DL phase reinstituted for the winter, you apply like you would have in the past through the website. Unfortunately, exact dates and cut off dates are not yet published. I will keep digging!!

Pat

I just put in for HIE208 Military history today. I also emailed the PLAR section from RMC, trying to figure if they would PLAR a part of HIE208 military history with the distance learning portion of the ILP I did in 2011.

Their answer was that because of the cessation (it's their term) of the OPME program as we know it, they aren't PLAR-ing anything for NCM's or NCO's anymore.

I heard that it was working the other way around in the last few years, where you could get PLAR'd the ILP DL if you had done the HIE 208 (as far as I heard)...that;s why I gave it a shot. :-\

Twenty years on and we're still waiting for some form of NCM PD. I don't think it's fair to count the trade or leadership courses that we all take. They're not really any different than the common courses for the Officers. We had a golden opportunity to rework the old OPDP programme into something for NCMs. There could have been generous time lines coupled with specific milestones for each rank level. IE: GSK to proceed from Cpl to MCpl, MilLaw for MCpl to Sgt etc. Most, if not all of the OPDP were quite suited to NCM progression. Now that OPME is no longer, I despair that it will be many more years before an equivalent programme for NCMs is put forward.

Well, I registered today for the winter session.

No doubt ill get rejected for a Pte in Kingston yet again, even though I registered meer moments agfter registration opened.

It's been the trend as of late, at least from most Snr NCOs POV where I work.

Regards

ModlrMike said:
Twenty years on and we're still waiting for some form of NCM PD. I don't think it's fair to count the trade or leadership courses that we all take. They're not really any different than the common courses for the Officers. We had a golden opportunity to rework the old OPDP programme into something for NCMs. There could have been generous time lines coupled with specific milestones for each rank level. IE: GSK to proceed from Cpl to MCpl, MilLaw for MCpl to Sgt etc. Most, if not all of the OPDP were quite suited to NCM progression. Now that OPME is no longer, I despair that it will be many more years before an equivalent programme for NCMs is put forward.

It may be closer than you think - do not dispair. There are equivalancies as well. It is hoped that much of the confusion will be cleared up shortly.

Nerf herder said:
Well, I registered today for the winter session.

No doubt ill get rejected for a Pte in Kingston yet again, even though I registered meer moments agfter registration opened.

It's been the trend as of late, at least from most Snr NCOs POV where I work.

Regards

I personally enrolled at the top of the day, 08:10 (The system didn't seem to open until then), and I'm hoping I grabbed two of them.  I'm just a corporal myself, but you're right, I've picked up and finished with honours three this year alone.  Though it is a first come first served system regardless of rank, and in the three that I've completed it was across the board more higher ranks that were dropping out and wasting spots than the lower ranks.  I'm not saying in any way that means that we deserve it any more, but I fully support the idea of a merit system wherein your eligibility for courses is determined by your consistency and scores in  the ones you've already done.  Offer the DCE001 and 002 scores as the marker which determines eligibility for future courses, those who have been enrolled and have failed or dropped out should be bottom of the list in the registration lists.  That's just my opinion.

Good luck and hopefully I'll see you in the course(s)!

3RCR said:
I personally enrolled at the top of the day, 08:10 (The system didn't seem to open until then), and I'm hoping I grabbed two of them.  I'm just a corporal myself, but you're right, I've picked up and finished with honours three this year alone.  Though it is a first come first served system regardless of rank, and in the three that I've completed it was across the board more higher ranks that were dropping out and wasting spots than the lower ranks.  I'm not saying in any way that means that we deserve it any more, but I fully support the idea of a merit system wherein your eligibility for courses is determined by your consistency and scores in  the ones you've already done.  Offer the DCE001 and 002 scores as the marker which determines eligibility for future courses, those who have been enrolled and have failed or dropped out should be bottom of the list in the registration lists.  That's just my opinion.

Good luck and hopefully I'll see you in the course(s)!

First come first serve?

Try going on and registering four or five times and not getting picked up for any at all.....and it's imperative that Snr NCOs get them done, and dropping out is only allowed if the CO writes it off (which is never BTW). I was on a career course and was still working on an OPME in my off hours.

Then you turn around and talk to friends on other bases and sure as shit, Pte Bloggins gets the course.

Hope you have the same attitude when promotions are being judged during merit boards on a measly course and you can't get any at all.

Regards

I completed an OPME while in Afghanistan FFS.  Was it easy?  Hell no, but she got done.  I'm not trying to say that doing one in the off hours or fitting it around a busy schedule isn't a pain, just that it is possible to do it.

As for the DCE001 and 002, honestly if anyone pulls out off either one of them they deserve a swift kick in the pills.  I finished both within 2 days just reading in between writing patrol orders and exercise instructions.  They're not exactly hard.

P.S. The above is not directed at anyone in specific or any particular posts, just my own ranting at my own experiences.

Nerf herder said:
dropping out is only allowed if the CO writes it off (which is never BTW).
Is it possible to withdraw between the time the courses are loaded and the course start date?

Is it a bad idea to register for more than one course in order to ensure a member is loaded on at least one?

Rheostatic said:
Is it possible to withdraw between the time the courses are loaded and the course start date?

Is it a bad idea to register for more than one course in order to ensure a member is loaded on at least one?
Not sure about the answer to your first question, but in answer to your second.  If you register in multiple courses then you had better be prepared to do all courses.  I registered for two courses for this Fall, and while I now regret this decision because of my schedule, I am working through both of them because I took it upon myself to register in both.

I haven't seen the CANFORGEN for the new OPME program, but does anybody know how it will work if you have some of the old OPME courses done?  I will have 5/6 completed at the end of the winter term.  Will I get credit for those 5 or do I start from scratch?  Might be worthwhile to sign up for my last OPMe and knock out the last 2 at the same time.
Sh

Back