• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future of the OPME program/Everything you ever wanted to know about OPME

dapaterson said:
OPTION FOR NCMS. NCMS WHO HAVE COMPLETED A MINIMUM OF ONE UNIVERSITY-LEVEL OPME (HIE 208, HIE 275, POE 206 OR PSE 402) WITH THE INTENTION OF COMPLETING THE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM WILL HAVE THE OPTION OF TAKING EQUIVALENT COURSES AT THE ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OF CANADA (RMCC). COURSES WILL BE OFFERED ON AN AS-AVAILABLE BASIS, WITH PRIORITY GOING TO STUDENTS IN A DEGREE PROGRAM. NCMS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT AN INDIVIDUAL LEARNING PLAN (ILP), APPLY FOR ADMITTANCE TO RMCC, PAY FOR THE COURSE, AND REQUEST REIMBURSEMENT AFTER SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THEIR COURSE. ONCE ALL COURSE REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED, THE OPME CERTIFICATE WILL BE AWARDED. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON RMCC COURSES THAT MEET THE OPME REQUIREMENTS ARE AVAILABLE AT THIS LINK HTTP://WWW.RMC.CA/ACA/DCS-DEP/FTL/RMCCMOPM-CCMRSPEM-ENG.ASP
I wonder, will previous reimbursement for university courses through an ILP preclude a member from being reimbursed for OPME courses?

Rheostatic:
I am not sure exactly what you are asking. If the OPME equivalent courses match the intent with the info from the CANFORGEN, reimbursement for previous unrelated courses will have nothing to do with it.
Are you asking (for example) if I took a non OPME course through say Dal last year and now wish to take my last 2 OPME equivalent courses through RMC at my own expense to be  reimbursed after, will I be reimbursed?? If this is your question then the answer is yes, by all means.
Now if those previous courses are OPME equivalent through another institution and according to a PLAR are indeed equivalent then the answer is no-The CF will not pay you to take the same course twice (I don't think this is what you were asking though?)
Does this answer your question?

Pat

To be more specific, can a member who has received money through Education Reimbursement for the Primary Reserves, for which there is an $8000 lifetime limit, still recieve reimbursement for OPME courses?

Ah, I see.
Right now, if you are at that cap and are a Res than I would dare say you may be SOL.
Dont' rule it out and talk to the PSO Office. You never know.

Brihard said:
Thanks Pat

For clarity, I wasn't trying to blow off PLQ / ILQ / ALQ as not counting as NCM PD/PME. I was referring to the new system that in the past year we've been told shall be rolling out soonish. My (possibly flawed) recollection suggested that the various DP levels would be augmented by some courses not dissimilar from how the new version of the officer PME will function. Not accreddited university credit courses, but still academic and distinct from 'career courses' of we think of them at this time.

I'll await what you've got patiently and with interest.

You are not far off I think.  Looking at several SITREPS and discussion papers it seems clear that NCM education beyond the core DP system are going to be part of the updated NCM PME program.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/89637303/NCMPD-Modernization-SITREP-201-1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/58936896/Annex-B-24-June-DC

The modernization has 3 objectives

1. Modernize NCM PME
2. Create Academic Opportunities
3. Enable Occupational Certification

Personally I am excited about 2 and 3, as the way forward for NCM PME, as a EME NCM the topic of accreditation is often a hot topic and I am hoping that the branch buys in early to the Occupational Certification program.

And the idea of a DS Certificate and a AS Diploma is certainly a good way forward to replace the OPME program for NCM's, let's just hope that they make it a smooth process, and not fill it with burdensome administrative processes  :-/

Jon

I got my notifications a couple days ago for those of you who are wondering/waiting confirmation on their courses.  I'm just a corporal and I'll have 4 of the OPME's finished before the program changes to the CFJOD, I'm glad to read that they're going to recognize those of us stuck in the middle and allow us to complete it through ILP's, however I've never done any courses with the RMCC directly (not through the OPME program), nor have I applied for an ILP before, does anyone know if application for admittance to the RMCC has any affiliated costs and if they would be covered by the ILP?  I only ask because I was under the impression that ILP's only covered course and supplies costs, and not anything with regards to registration and admittance to the institution itself.

Check out the RMC Division of Continuing Studies web site:

http://www.rmc.ca/aca/ac-pe/ug-apc/dcs-dep/ar-ai-eng.asp

3RCR said:
I got my notifications a couple days ago for those of you who are wondering/waiting confirmation on their courses.  I'm just a corporal and I'll have 4 of the OPME's finished before the program changes to the CFJOD, I'm glad to read that they're going to recognize those of us stuck in the middle and allow us to complete it through ILP's, however I've never done any courses with the RMCC directly (not through the OPME program), nor have I applied for an ILP before, does anyone know if application for admittance to the RMCC has any affiliated costs and if they would be covered by the ILP?  I only ask because I was under the impression that ILP's only covered course and supplies costs, and not anything with regards to registration and admittance to the institution itself.

I am currently registered as a Visiting Student at RMC due to the requirement of a few of their courses for my program.  Yes, the registration/admittance fees for RMC are covered and reimbursable on your ILP as long as you have it noted as a fee/cost.  Just make sure to add it in to your ILP in the appropriate section when you put it all together.

3RCR said:

A little late in the OPME-game to be starting but nonetheless, best of luck. As already mentioned, scheduling and admissions info is available at the RMC site indicated. Also, you can get your ILP started on line at:
http://img-dcb-ioutpro.forces.mil.ca:88/ILP/engraph/login_e.asp
That said, the link appears off line at the moment. When it gets to the part about what your goal is, you can simply state that it is to complete the OPME Program.  Talk to your Unit EdO or Base PSO Office. Barring that, if you have anything you aren't sure of, PM me. You can also follow the NCM PD thread as I plan to put something up probably over the Holidays about exactly what you are doing as you are far from alone in this endevour.
Again, best of luck-with a full load of 4 courses, I hope you know, this will NOT be a cakewalk.

Pat

Maybe I misread 3RCRs post, but I think he means he will have 4 of the OPMEs done when the switch happens, not that he is just starting and doing 4 at once.  If that is the case, he'll only have 2 crses to complete under the ILP way.

Eye In The Sky said:
Maybe I misread 3RCRs post, but I think he means he will have 4 of the OPMEs done when the switch happens, not that he is just starting and doing 4 at once.  If that is the case, he'll only have 2 crses to complete under the ILP way.

Thanks guys!  Yes, Eye In The Sky is right I presently have DCE001, DCE002, HIE208, and PSE402 taken care of, and all I have remaining to do through RMC is HIE275 and POE206.  I have only been in the CF for barely 5 years now and I only learned about the OPME program last winter or I would have jumped on the bandwagon much earlier.  I'm glad that already having HIE208 and PSE402 will allow me to continue through the program with ILP's and distance learning.  Thanks again for your replies!

-3RCR

Eye In The Sky said:
Got it! Next time, have coffee FIRST in the morning, then log onto Navy.ca!!

dapaterson said:
CANFORGEN 218/12 CMP 101/12 011212Z NOV 12
CANADIAN FORCES JUNIOR OFFICER DEVELOPMENT (CFJOD) PROGRAMME

REFERENCES: A. CANFORGEN 092 01 ADMHRMIL 052 221200Z AUG 01

OPTION FOR NCMS. NCMS WHO HAVE COMPLETED A MINIMUM OF ONE UNIVERSITY-LEVEL OPME (HIE 208, HIE 275, POE 206 OR PSE 402) WITH THE INTENTION OF COMPLETING THE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM WILL HAVE THE OPTION OF TAKING EQUIVALENT COURSES AT THE ROYAL MILITARY COLLEGE OF CANADA (RMCC). COURSES WILL BE OFFERED ON AN AS-AVAILABLE BASIS, WITH PRIORITY GOING TO STUDENTS IN A DEGREE PROGRAM. NCMS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT AN INDIVIDUAL LEARNING PLAN (ILP), APPLY FOR ADMITTANCE TO RMCC, PAY FOR THE COURSE, AND REQUEST REIMBURSEMENT AFTER SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THEIR COURSE. ONCE ALL COURSE REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED, THE OPME CERTIFICATE WILL BE AWARDED. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON RMCC COURSES THAT MEET THE OPME REQUIREMENTS ARE AVAILABLE AT THIS LINK HTTP://WWW.RMC.CA/ACA/DCS-DEP/FTL/RMCCMOPM-CCMRSPEM-ENG.ASP

For what it's worth guys, I did end up completing my OPME certificate and was awarded it in May of 2014.  Not to mention that a Master Corporal in my section is presently (April 2015) finishing off the last two that he needs to be issued his certificate.  The CANFORGEN does extend to those who were already involved in the system, and apparently there has been no official end date to that offer, so if you're and NCM who stopped halfway there it's worth finishing for the extra PER points alone!  Thanks for all the help from everyone in this section, particularly "dapaterson" whose post gave me the above reference to cite when applying for the certificate!  :) :cdn:

Back