• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I am in Centretown.
Well, I retract my previous criticism then... for some reason I thought you wrote that you lived in Sandy Hill (that's why I wrote that I lived in Sandy Hill "too"), which obviously wouldn't make much sense.

"Much closer to the action"... but still in Sandy Hill, not Centretown or Lowertown? My place was West of King Eddy... exactly what part of Sandy Hill is "much closer" to the protests than that?

You must live within 2 or 3 blocks from my old place to be both in Sandy Hill and part of the filed class action lawsuit.

www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6355146

Trucks had begun moving off several residential streets in Centretown prior to the EA, they were relocated to Wellington with police cooperation. This was even discussed during the inquiry... or did you personally keep track of all the trucks and how many were on Centretown streets like Lisgar.

If it helps, I know Dimsum personally and can vouch for him living within the area that was physically blocked up during much of the convoy. When he speaks from his firsthand experience as a Centertown resident within the convoy footprint, you can take that at face value.

If it helps, I know Dimsum personally and can vouch for him living within the area that was physically blocked up during much of the convoy. When he speaks from his firsthand experience as a Centertown resident within the convoy footprint, you can take that at face value.
I'm not doubting that he lives in Centretown and was right in the thick of it. In comparison, I was likely much less affected by the protests despite being within the class action area, just over a kilometre from parliament.

It seems odd to me that many Ottawa residents complain about "the city" being "under occupation" though when it was arguably quite concentrated to the area surrounding parliament.

I suspect the PM could have relatively easily avoided testifying by asserting some sort of privilege or confidence. Much of his decision making could likely have legitimately been shrouded in cabinet confidence. The fact that he and other senior federal government figures testified is indeed a positive tick mark in the accountability column.

As opposed to Premier Ford and his minions who refused to testify.

I'm sure it was quite calculated but never the less I appreciated Trudeau admitting the government was at fault too and especially he should have been less divisive (worded differently). The report indicating the government's behavior made things worse probably helped with that self-reflection.

I'm sure it was quite calculated but never the less I appreciated Trudeau admitting the government was at fault too and especially he should have been less divisive (worded differently). The report indicating the government's behavior made things worse probably helped with that self-reflection.
Yup, a few heart felt tears and a pledge to be better, then back at it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Maybe it wasn't incompetence but malicious selflessness. Maybe the Conservative Ontario government wanted to A. Not piss off their right leaning supporters, and B. Creat an opportunity for Trudeau to look bad, especially in the eyes of right leaning folk.
Windsor cleared our blockade without help from the feds or federal mandates. We didn't need the EA. We cleared it because it was affecting Ontario's economy and plants were being idled. We did it for our workers and citizens. We didn't ask if they were right or left. As for making trudeau look bad, he does enough of that himself. He needs no help.

Windsor cleared our blockade without help from the feds or federal mandates. We didn't need the EA. We cleared it because it was affecting Ontario's economy and plants were being idled. We did it for our workers and citizens. We didn't ask if they were right or left. As for making trudeau look bad, he does enough of that himself. He needs no help.

Actually the Ambassador Bridge blockade was escalated to a unified incident command with the OPP (with an OPP critical incident commander), and the police action that cleared the bridge involved Windsor Police, OPP, and public order police from the RCMP. Potentially some other municipal services too. The RCMP would have been federal police members from Ontario and possibly Quebec (I'm not sure). It's not accurate to say Windsor didn't need or receive federal help.

With that said, you're correct that the Ambassador Bridge was cleared without resort to any authorities granted by the EA. Windsor Police made a correct choice early on to accept that the situation was beyond their ability to handle it alone, and to appropriately escalate to provincial police and request outside help. Ottawa could have made that same choice earlier than they did.

Drama Swat GIF by CBS

If you think the act violates the charter you need to read section one again. By being justified, ide of the act falls under section 1 of the charter which sets out the reasonable means to which the charter can be bent.
It's not just the EA, which I don't consider was justified. But that's my opinion. Nor do I consider the EA against the Constitution, when it applied properly and for just cause. It's got to do with the accumulated trampling of the Charter by trudeau. If you think this has done anything to divert trudeau from his path of destruction, I think you're going to be disappointed. Like Kat said a few posts above.
Actually the Ambassador Bridge blockade was escalated to a unified incident command with the OPP (with an OPP critical incident commander), and the police action that cleared the bridge involved Windsor Police, OPP, and public order police from the RCMP. Potentially some other municipal services too. The RCMP would have been federal police members from Ontario and possibly Quebec (I'm not sure). It's not accurate to say Windsor didn't need or receive federal help.

With that said, you're correct that the Ambassador Bridge was cleared without resort to any authorities granted by the EA. Windsor Police made a correct choice early on to accept that the situation was beyond their ability to handle it alone, and to appropriately escalate to provincial police and request outside help. Ottawa could have made that same choice earlier than they did.
Sorry I forgot the RCMP, the OPP was a given. Still, the RCMP was the only federal resource we had or used. Ottawa was a shit show of miscommunication and risk adverse officials of all stripes. Chiefs of Police resigning every two days. A mayor that didn't know his arcs and a federal government more concerned with trudeau and his gonads than trying to settle the situation. A Commisioner that was considering using our troops against our own citizens and disguising them as her RCMP. There is so much more in my mind Bri that I'm absolutely, disgusted with the whole mess. Cheers for my missing points.

Well you just explained it all right there; Windsor had a direct impact on the Ontario economy, so it was in Doug Ford's best interest to clear that up. Ottawa, on the other hand, DF couldn't give a fuck about.

Back