• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

About the same odds of him ever looking bad to left leaning folks I suppose
Well I known a lot of left leaning folk (not wingers, leaners) who think he's doing a terrible job, so that means the answer is "very likely", correct?

Well you just explained it all right there; Windsor had a direct impact on the Ontario economy, so it was in Doug Ford's best interest to clear that up. Ottawa, on the other hand, DF couldn't give a fuck about.
And if the blockade only affected Windsor I'm sure he wouldn't have moved as fast. He'd let the locals try and work it out first.......I like a degree of separation between politicians and police.

I think this went stupid because NO ONE [or at least no one that got listened too] thought the management of both Ottawa and its police force were soooooooo pathetic.

Well you just explained it all right there; Windsor had a direct impact on the Ontario economy, so it was in Doug Ford's best interest to clear that up. Ottawa, on the other hand, DF couldn't give a fuck about.
I'm not sure Ford would have been involved. As far as OPP assistance went, I'm not exactly sure the SolGen would have been directly involved (what are they going to say - no?) except as a briefing note. Windsor PS requested assistance and received it. They received it because there was a viable plan created and command structure put in place to execute it. In the initial stages, OPS had exactly none of that. Police commanders weren't willing to simply send in hundreds of members without an idea of how they are going to be used.

There is no 'cavalry' provision that give the OPP or RCMP an overriding jurisdiction over the service of jurisdiction; they need to be requested. That was touched on in the report.

Municipalities are entirely creatures of the provinces. If a municipality can't cope, the province can act.
Are you implying that Ottawa is a straight forward municipality like Windsor, or Brampton of Sarnia, or Thunder Bay, etc? That Queen’s Oark should have taken over when Ottawa proved itself inept?

Are you implying that Ottawa is a straight forward municipality like Windsor, or Brampton of Sarnia, or Thunder Bay, etc? That Queen’s Park should have taken over when Ottawa proved itself inept?
I mean, you'll have to be precise about which time Ottawa (the city) proved itself inept.

The provincial government seemed at best disinterested...

Municipalities are entirely creatures of the provinces. If a municipality can't cope, the province can act.
Within existing legislation, and I'm not aware there is provision to simply ignore municipal elected and appointed officials in this type of situation. If there is statute or common law provision that empowers it, I'd love to see it. The logic that says the province can ride roughshod over a municipality can't simply be broadly subjective. Send in federal/provincial cops this time, fire a mayor or police chief they don't like next time.

Emergency management in Ontario is municipally-based. I suppose they could have declared an emergency under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, but they didn't, and without a deep reading, I'm still not sure it would apply.

National Capital Region (Ottawa/Gatineau) should be given separate federal status (similar to a province). Maybe call it the National Capital Territory (NCT), with the NCT gov't the one clearly having jurisdiction over the whole area. Probably will never happen, but might work better IMO.

National Capital Region (Ottawa/Gatineau) should be given separate federal status (similar to a province). Maybe call it the National Capital Territory (NCT), with the NCT gov't the one clearly having jurisdiction over the whole area. Probably will never happen, but might work better IMO.

Washington DC's experience suggests not.

I have always been a big fan of making the capital it’s own territory/district/city state.

Why? The presence of the Parliamentary precinct in a small portion of downtown doesn't radically alter the norms and realities of policing a municipality. It's well within the capabilities of OPS to manage this. They already liaise as needed with RCMP and PPS when there are federal or parliamentary equities at stake. The vast majority of the time, anything happening downtown falls within the expected norm of policing any major city. The late stage of the response to the convoy showed that police services can mutually assist and can deal with problems as needed as long as an appropriate command structure is put in place and empowered to act without meddling in operational decisions. The overall policing model for Ottawa isn't broken, there have simply been major issues in implementation. Some major lessons were learned that, I think, have caused a course correction on that.

On a related note- the Citizen has a really well done article today on the actual planning and execution of the final clearance operation, from the perspective of and based on the testimony of Ottawa Police's event commander for the final clearance. Well worth a read.

Back