• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Absolutely not. They should have done their jobs in the first place instead of playing silly-bugger and hot-potato. Based on my reading, they invoked the Emergencies Act because no one did their jobs for 3 weeks and allowed things to deteriorate.
Yes, you're right, they should have done their jobs in the first place, "they" being the Ottawa police and the OPP. When "they" didn't do their job, the feds stepped in and did THEIR job.

"We had to use extraordinary powers because we were incompetent."

Future Bright Young Staff to the people being advised: "So, if the crisis were not prevented from escalating by early effective intervention..."
"We had to use extraordinary powers because the local and provincial police were incompetent."

There, fixed that for you.

If I recall correctly, when the EA was enacted the border blockades had already been cleared, the egregious honking in downtown Ottawa had all but stopped for over a week and there was active movement of trucks off many of the streets in the city's core... what about the situation was deteriorating?
I live there. You recalled wrong.

The EA brought the other police forces in and enforced the towing which tow trucks couldn't (or didn't want to) do. The trucks started moving afterwards when they started to realize the govt meant business. It was, at most, a day or two before the clearing out of Wellington and Rideau.

Trucks were still talking a big game about locking their brakes until that point.

Which is all the excuse they need to do it again, somewhere else, right? ;)
That's not called an excuse, that's called a justification. So, yes, if another situation like this arose, they would once again be justified, but hopefully the local and or regional police do their jobs properly and we never get there.

That's not called an excuse, that's called a justification. So, yes, if another situation like this arose, they would once again be justified, but hopefully the local and or regional police do their jobs properly and we never get there.
I very much look forward to the panzers rolling in next time the main rail line is blockaded for over a week, costing Canada much more than a few sleepless nights.

Just a note of caution on this- within Ontario the feds were not able to really act against the protests in a law enforcement capacity until approached by the police of jurisdiction. In normal circumstances, RCMP are not empowered to simply step in over Ottawa Police or the OPP for public order matters. Typically, federal augmentation of public order policing requires a request from or some standing arrangement with the police of jurisdiction. Likewise for the OPP to step in and act within the policing jurisdiction of a municipality. The ball was in Ottawa's court.
Sounds like the bar was about ankle height and they couldn't clear it?

All they had to do was - essentially - send an email... and failed to do that? You'd think with how boring Ontario politics are they'd have time for that sort of thing.

The EA brought the other police forces in and enforced the towing which tow trucks couldn't (or didn't want to) do. The trucks started moving afterwards when they started to realize the govt meant business. It was, at most, a day or two before the clearing out of Wellington and Rideau.

Trucks were still talking a big game about locking their brakes until that poin I lived in Sandy Hill a year ago... so what?
I lived in Sandy Hill (near Rideau and King Edward) a year ago too... so what?

Trucks were moving off streets downtown (aside from Wellingron) days before the EA was enacted. If you watched the inquiry, you'd know there was already plans in motion to clear most of the protest areas.

And what provisions in the act specifically enabled the towing of vehicles that didn't exist the week before? Was the act required to bring in additional police forces?

I lived in Sandy Hill (near Rideau and King Edward) a year ago too... so what?

Trucks were moving off streets downtown (aside from Wellingron) days before the EA was enacted. If you watched the inquiry, you'd know there was already plans in kotion to clear most of the protest areas.

And what provisions in the act specifically enabled the towing of vehicles that didn't exist the week before? Was the act required to bring in additional police forces?
I live...much closer to the action than that. I can personally verify that trucks were not moving until the EA hit.

The EA allowed the govt to essentially force tow trucks to tow. And, until then, other police forces weren't involved because that area is OPS (and PPS) jurisdiction. After the EA, the other police forces came from parts of ON and QC.

Shocker! A Government with the majority support of the HoC can do whatever the fuck it wants 😱

This shouldn't be taken as an endorsement of a particular position that some people seem to think it is 🤣

The EA allowed the govt to essentially force tow trucks to tow. And, until then, other police forces weren't involved because that area is OPS (and PPS) jurisdiction. After the EA, the other police forces came from parts of ON and QC.

Minor pedantry, nothing is 'PPS jurisdiction' from a law enforcement / public order standpoint. Parliamentary Protective Service are not a police service and aren't peace officers. Their existence is weird and unique, enabled by the Parliament of Canada Act, and their role is specifically physical security. They cannot investigate or law charges for offences, and if they need police assistance they look to Ottawa Police. They're basically armed security guards working for the Speakers of the two houses.

There were other police (OPP and RCMP) assisting Ottawa Police throughout downtown prior to the EA - you would have seen RCMP and OPP manning traffic checkpoitns and basically providing uniformed presence in the area - but it's correct to say that other police services didn't bring in public order units (i.e., 'riot cops') until after the EA was invoked.

The EA was not necessary to enable other police services to provide public order units on request from Ottawa Police. Nor did the EA provide any new authorities that were previous lacking that allowed police the legal authority to arrest or charge people. Existing authorities also allowed for the physical removal of vehicles that were blocking roads, though effecting that was obviouslya different challenge.

Some trucks and some people had voluntarily left prior to the invocation of the EA. It's absolutely false to suggest or imply that this meant that the protest was slowly dispersing, or that this meant the core downtown blocks could be expected to become passable or usable. A significant core of protesters (and their vehicles) were not going to move until physically removed by police; that was very celar.

I've not yet had time to read the report and have yet to form my opinion on the EA invocation writ large, I'm just in a decent position to speak to the boots on the ground police stuff based on what I already know.

Trucks were still talking a big game about locking their brakes until that point.
I’m with you about 80%, dimsum. The missing 20%?…10 days into it, I swung past OC Transpo’s Industrial Ave/St.Laurent Blvd works yard and saw 3-4 30t wreckers lined up in a row. So I’m not hopping in the “they (Ottawa) couldn’t deal with the big rigs” train.

OPS crapped the bed at the beginning, OPP seriously had little to do with it with limited Hwy417/416 jurisdiction.

I still write this one up overall to at best limited competence of OPS compounded by senior politicians who appeared Hell-bent to inflame the situation for their own purposes (to support the EA eventuality).

Last edited:
I very much look forward to the panzers rolling in next time the main rail line is blockaded for over a week, costing Canada much more than a few sleepless nights.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh Kat, I love your imagination!

Sounds like the bar was about ankle height and they couldn't clear it?

All they had to do was - essentially - send an email... and failed to do that? You'd think with how boring Ontario politics are they'd have time for that sort of thing.
Maybe it wasn't incompetence but malicious selflessness. Maybe the Conservative Ontario government wanted to A. Not piss off their right leaning supporters, and B. Creat an opportunity for Trudeau to look bad, especially in the eyes of right leaning folk.

I live...much closer to the action than that. I can personally verify that trucks were not moving until the EA hit.

"Much closer to the action"... but still in Sandy Hill, not Centretown or Lowertown? My place was West of King Eddy... exactly what part of Sandy Hill is "much closer" to the protests than that?

You must live within 2 or 3 blocks from my old place to be both in Sandy Hill and part of the filed class action lawsuit.

www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6355146

Trucks had begun moving off several residential streets in Centretown prior to the EA, they were relocated to Wellington with police cooperation. This was even discussed during the inquiry... or did you personally keep track of all the trucks and how many were on Centretown streets like Lisgar.

"Much closer to the action"... but still in Sandy Hill, not Centretown or Lowertown? My place was West of King Eddy... exactly what part of Sandy Hill is "much closer" to the protests than that?

You must live within 2 or 3 blocks from my old place to be both in Sandy Hill and part of the filed class action lawsuit.

www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6355146

Trucks had begun moving off several residential streets in Centretown prior to the EA, they were relocated to Wellington with police cooperation. This was even discussed during the inquiry... or did you personally keep track of all the trucks and how many were on Centretown streets like Lisgar.
I am in Centretown.

Back