• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Yeah, get a recap on the hearing yesterday first. I wouldn't say she was well prepared.

Neither are a great number of people getting bail on far more serious crimes. This whole show has become a circus.

Next, you're going to tell me it was legit to freeze bank accounts of donors based on illegally hacked private information analyzed by a government funded media outlet who then shared their findings with the feds for a protest retroactively declared illegal by an unnecessary and unprecedented enactment of the EA.

It keeps getting better and better.

Chris Barber made bail.
Neither are a great number of people getting bail on far more serious crimes. This whole show has become a circus.

Next, you're going to tell me it was legit to freeze bank accounts of donors based on illegally hacked private information analyzed by a government funded media outlet who then shared their findings with the feds for a protest retroactively declared illegal by an unnecessary and unprecedented enactment of the EA.

You still haven’t provided an ounce of proof that any findings/name were “shared” with the feds. Did the feds base their decision making process on a CBC analysis? Sure. That isn’t the same thing. You can believe what you want but so far you have no proof that happened.

As far as bail is concerned, how many protesters did in fact get bail? The fact that Lich is a terrible advocate for herself is her fault and no one else’s. Same with King. Yet Barber seemed to get bail. Maybe they should see how he handled it and emulate that instead of giving the judge more excuses to keep them in jail.

No. Next I'll tell you that if she didn't properly prepare for her hearing then that's on her.

Did you read the reporting on the bail hearing? Seek out any sources?

You two can keep going on being apologists for a system that is now punishing those who speak out against Trudeau. Lich's case has to be the first ever instance in Canada where someone is being held for 19+ days in pre-trial custody on a mischief charge (after the protests have dispersed no less). And the freezing of bank accounts without judicial authorization over donations to a protest movement has to be the first ever time that kind of gross government overreach occurred to ordinary citizens.

Chris Barber made bail.

You still haven’t provided an ounce of proof that any findings/name were “shared” with the feds. Did the feds base their decision making process on a CBC analysis? Sure. That isn’t the same thing. You can believe what you want but so far you have no proof that happened.

As far as bail is concerned, how many protesters did in fact get bail? The fact that Lich is a terrible advocate for herself is her fault and no one else’s. Same with King. Yet Barber seemed to get bail. Maybe they should see how he handled it and emulate that instead of giving the judge more excuses to keep them in jail.
You actually think they say that they are using illegal obtained data to their benefit? these are the same people that use code words to frustrate ATIP requests and have a worldview that laws are for commoners.
As for Lich, your likely correct, however normal people do badly with the legal system as they have very little experience at how it works, seen this myself, as has my wife. The Judge should have accounted for that. Considering the pieces of shits that continuously get bail, this case stands out as pure vindictiveness on the part of the system.

You actually think they say that they are using illegal obtained data to their benefit? these are the same people that use code words to frustrate ATIP requests and have a worldview that laws are for commoners.
As for Lich, your likely correct, however normal people do badly with the legal system as they have very little experience at how it works, seen this myself, as has my wife. The Judge should have accounted for that. Considering the pieces of shits that continuously get bail, this case stands out as pure vindictiveness on the part of the system.
Where did I say that? I said there is nothing that shows that the CBC provided the feds any info. How the feds got their info I don’t know. But it was very open source for a bit that even a 12 year old could have gotten it.

I happen to agree that basing their decision on a CBC article is incredibly stupid and lazy. That’s not what I am arguing though. It’s the insinuation that the CBC provided that info to the government. Not at all the same thing and that article in the Sun made no such claims.

Normal people do badly with the legal system but she is represented i believe? I hope so because if she isn’t it likely won’t go well.

Vindictiveness? I can’t say. Like I said Barber got bail. Plenty of people arrested during this got bail. Some do and some don’t.

You two can keep going on being apologists for a system that is now punishing those who speak out against Trudeau. Lich's case has to be the first ever instance in Canada where someone is being held for 19+ days in pre-trial custody on a mischief charge (after the protests have dispersed no less). And the freezing of bank accounts without judicial authorization over donations to a protest movement has to be the first ever time that kind of gross government overreach occurred to ordinary citizens.
You can quit trying to ram words into my mouth, or meaning where it doesn't exist.

Lich might well be a first case in how seriously stupid her representation was/is. But Lich has been present for all and has not claimed any sort of mental impairment - that's on her, not the system. As I have stated, I kept up on the proceedings and it was abysmal how ill prepared Lich was.

Do a little reading on Lich's lawyer.

Bad lawyer or no lawyer, this has to be the first time anyone in Canada has been held this long pre-trial under these circumstances for the alleged crime of mischief. There have been a lot of bad "firsts" in the last few years.

Bad lawyer or no lawyer, this has to be the first time anyone in Canada has been held this long pre-trial under these circumstances for the alleged crime of mischief. There have been a lot of bad "firsts" in the last few years.
Apples and bowling balls.

She's been represented the entire time and has failed to show a plan for her release, and then went so far to try the bias thing - which got shot down in record time - because it's bullshit.

Have you bothered reading into the proceedings?

All these inconvenient facts.

Not to mention her guarantor was her husband who was also involved in the protests, said it was their first amendment rights to protest, and all kinds of other nonsense. Hard to release someone on their own recognizance when they won't listen enough to understand what that means.

Not really expecting a lot from people that were protesting against the federal govt for provincial mandates or think the GG and senate can overthrow Parliament but still, the bail hearing was an unrelenting torrent of stupidity and self goals from Lich.

Not to mention her guarantor was her husband who was also involved in the protests, said it was their first amendment rights to protest, and all kinds of other nonsense. Hard to release someone on their own recognizance when they won't listen enough to understand what that means.

Not really expecting a lot from people that were protesting against the federal govt for provincial mandates or think the GG and senate can overthrow Parliament but still, the bail hearing was an unrelenting torrent of stupidity and self goals from Lich.
Her husband (her first surety) stated that the Holy Sprit would get them home. And people wonder why bail was denied the first time…

Whether one agrees/supports the Truck Convoy or not, it succeeded in:

-Highlighting issues and shortcomings in our policing
-Highlighting issues and problems in Ottawa with the police board
-Highlighting how powerful the Emergency Act can be
-Putting Trudeau and LPC's behavior and shortcomings on the world stage (again, but in a more serious reflection)

Last edited:
Whether one agrees/supports the Truck Convoy or not, it succeeded in:

-Highlighting issues and shortcomings in our policing
-Highlighting issues and problems in Ottawa with the police board
-Highlighting how powerful the Emergency Act can be
-Putting Trudeau and LPC's behavior and shortcomings on the world stage (again, but in a more serious reflection)
I’m still waiting for the viral outbreak from that…

You’ve never show caused someone on a mischief before and seen them held? Ok then.

Mischief, like many criminal offences, covers a wide range of behaviour. That‘a why it’s a hybrid offense, with up to ten years of prosecuted by indictment. In her case, she was a very active party in encouraging mischief on a scale covering many city blocks and negatively affecting thousands of people. She continued the offense when the illegality of it was made clear, and she counseled others to. That’s relatively higher end. I’ve had people held in custody for quite a bit less.

Like any bail hearing, there are primary (court attendance) secondary (protection of the public and preventing continuation) and tertiary (confidence in the justice system) grounds considered by the court. Lich was detained on the secondary and tertiary grounds. The crown’s case is very strong, and throughout her offending she showed contempt for the law and attempts to see it enforced, and she encouraged and counseled others to as well. Continued offending is absolutely a valid concern.

One of the key tools to mitigate this and to allow for a bail plan is to provide a surety who will pledge themselves and often put up considerable sums to control the accused’s behaviour on release. In Lich’s case, her surety was crap, and her bail hearing was a dumpster fire. I don’t know if her lawyer sucked or was simply poorly instructed, but Lich failed to offer to court enough confidence that she would not reoffend and would abide by release conditions,

Similar story for Pat King.

If she comes up with a materially better plan, she will likely get bail. Not sure if what she offered up last week will suffice. Accusing the bail judge of political bias is unlikely to cut it.

Pretty sure that was her husband...but yeah.
I thought I recall her saying it too. Her husband also had interesting memory gaps, like how it was he came to be invited into a free ride by private jet to Ottawa, IIRC. I’m pretty sure I’d remember details around a Learjet/Citation/Gulfstream/Bombardier/whatever jet flight across the country.

Back