• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Because they've learned that the weather in Victoria is better, I suppose...

Trucks on way to occupy Victoria streets, convoy organizer says in video​

Hundreds of vehicles could occupy area for two to three months, he say

A Freedom Convoy organizer says trucks are on their way to Victoria from across Canada to gather and maybe stay on a rotating basis up to three months to protest vaccine mandates and indoor mask orders.

James Bauder, founder of Canada Unity and one of the founders of Freedom Convoy 2022 in Ottawa, said seven trucks loaded with supplies including 16,000 hamburgers are on the way.

The convoy is scheduled to arrive in Victoria on March 14, he said.

“We’re going to be occupying that area for two to three months,” Bauder said in a video posted online.

“This is a very intense, deeply rooted NDP-Liberal stronghold down there,” said Bauder. “And they’ve had their way for too long. It’s time we get down there and show them what the laws are and not your opinion, folks.”

Because they've learned that the weather in Victoria is better, I suppose...
But did they do the math on ferry crossings? Would be embarrassing if your protest can’t all get on the island because you did not do the crossing tables.

“This is a very intense, deeply rooted NDP-Liberal stronghold down there,” said Bauder. “And they’ve had their way for too long. It’s time we get down there and show them what the laws are and not your opinion, folks.”
This is a little incoherent but … is his plan to bully the population because he does not like their local federal election results?

But did they do the math on ferry crossings? Would be embarrassing if your protest can’t all get on the island because you did not do the crossing tables.

This is a little incoherent but … is his plan to bully the population because he does not like their local federal election results?
Just a little incoherent?

But political incoherence has been he hallmark of this movement since it began, hasn't it?

I believe there are already a few thousand locals protesting in Vic. I saw pics and video on social media but not the news.

No, not really. Banks regularly demarket clients or freeze accounts based on perceived legal risk, with or without information provided by police. This is routinely seen in money laundering investigations for instance.

Ok Brihard if you say so. I'll wait for all the news reports when the RCMP and banks do this to other notable protestors and their bankrollers.

Ok Brihard if you say so. I'll wait for all the news reports when the RCMP and banks do this to other notable protestors and their bankrollers.
I say so from personal experience working on a money laundering file where the banks identified individuals moving money in a way that appeared potentially illegal, demarketed certain customers from some or all services, and reported that information to appropriate authorities.

Banks are heavily risk adverse. If they feel they may be exposed to legal liability for complicity in money laundering, terrorist financing, or sanctions evasion, they’ll act proactively. In this case, with new federal regulations - albeit temporary ones - put into effect, they likely erred on the side of caution based on information available to them, and minimized their legal exposure.

Unusual circumstances, but pretty routine mechanism.

Last edited:
I say so from personal experience working on a money laundering file where the banks identified individuals moving money in a way that appeared potentially illegal, demarketed certain customers from some or all services, and reported that information to appropriate authorities.

Banks are heavily risk adverse. If they feel they may be exposed to legal liability for complicity in money laundering, terrorist financing, or sanctions evasion, they’ll act proactively. In this case, with new federal regulations - albeit temporary ones - put into effect, they likely erred on the side of caution based on information available to them, and minimized their legal exposure.

Unusual circumstances, but pretty routine mechanism.
I actually work for an international bank, I can attest to the above. We have to complete annual money laundering and sanctions compliance training. Failure to block and report suspected money laundering can result in action against the employee and the bank. These include, loss of job for the employee and fines for both the bank and the employee. Further, the financial institution may be put under supervision by the regulators. So, needless to say, this is something that is taken VERY seriously.

I actually work for an international bank, I can attest to the above. We have to complete annual money laundering and sanctions compliance training. Failure to block and report suspected money laundering can result in action against the employee and the bank. These include, loss of job for the employee and fines for both the bank and the employee. Further, the financial institution may be put under supervision by the regulators. So, needless to say, this is something that is taken VERY seriously.
Right as per FINTRAC.

And now that we’ve declared the convoy protestors on the same level as those who commit money laundering crimes I’ll await similar treatment for all the other protests that have been and will be actually violent and/or carry out massive property damage.

Question, have the bank accounts been frozen for the perpetrators or those connected to the domestic terror attack on O&G infrastructure in BC yet, or is this standard only applied to those Trudeau doesn’t agree with?

Last edited:
Whether one agrees/supports the Truck Convoy or not, it succeeded in:

-Highlighting issues and shortcomings in our policing
-Highlighting issues and problems in Ottawa with the police board
-Highlighting how powerful the Emergency Act can be
-Putting Trudeau and LPC's behavior and shortcomings on the world stage
-Highlighting the "right wing" of the CPC and stoking position differences for potential leadership hopefuls

An additional point . . .

Didn’t David Suzuki say something about blowing up pipelines? He’s a fairly influential guy… did we freeze anything there? Anyone looking into his background on that?

Right as per FINTRAC.

And now that we’ve declared the convoy protestors on the same level as those who commit money laundering crimes I’ll await similar treatment for all the other protests that have been and will be actually violent and/or carry out massive property damage.

Question, have the bank accounts been frozen for the perpetrators or those connected to the domestic terror attack on O&G infrastructure in BC yet, or is this standard only applied to those Trudeau doesn’t agree with?
I have no idea what is going on inside Canadian retail banks, as I am based in Dublin. However, as I said, if the banks risk management department has determined that money laundering, terrorist financing, or sanction avoidance is likely to be occurring, they are legally obligated to take action. I would “assume” that the various orders made under the emergencies act, would be the basis for the financial institutions taking the actions they did. This is not a matter of the banks “taking a side” or being political. The banks are obeying the law, and likely erring on the side of caution.

Much like the misinformation that fueled some of the trucks headed for Ottawa, conspiracy theories are at the core of some of their conversations about Ukraine — leading them to decry Western intervention in the conflict, or in some cases, express outright support for Russia.

“I fully support Russia,” wrote one Telegram user in the channel titled Convoy to Ottawa 2022, which has just shy of 30,000 subscribers.

I have no idea what is going on inside Canadian retail banks, as I am based in Dublin. However, as I said, if the banks risk management department has determined that money laundering, terrorist financing, or sanction avoidance is likely to be occurring, they are legally obligated to take action. I would “assume” that the various orders made under the emergencies act, would be the basis for the financial institutions taking the actions they did. This is not a matter of the banks “taking a side” or being political. The banks are obeying the law, and likely erring on the side of caution.
Yup. And then for police to do anything with the financial information in terms of investigating to lay charges, there are considerable due process safeguards, particularly the need to get authorization from the court to obtain and access records that would otherwise violate someone’s privacy, whether by production order or search warrant. There are a lot of protections of an individual’s rights in place.

Back