• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

How is this purge being "led" by the CBC?

Seems to me they are playing catch-up to the Toronto Star who started their coverage of the story back on 22 Feb.

Back then, the CBC's first coverage (a day later) appeared to only be reporting OPP and TPS confirmation that they are investigating the reports of police officers donations.
When the EA was initiated, I can't recall if it was stated in a presser or news article, but it was stated CBC has been going through the hacked lists and informing government. I'll see if I can find that and link it in.

When the EA was initiated, I can't recall if it was stated in a presser or news article, but it was stated CBC has been going through the hacked lists and informing government. I'll see if I can find that and link it in.
No. media outlets were confirming with individuals that were on the list. If they were and then confirmed on the record, then they made news.

Like the big developer in Ottawa who was not named despite everyone knowing. The media has not made his name public.

No. media outlets were confirming with individuals that were on the list. If they were and then confirmed on the record, then they made news.

Like the big developer in Ottawa who was not named despite everyone knowing. The media has not made his name public.
I seem to recall Chrystia Freeland mentioning something about CBC screening the list, not for the news, for the government.

I seem to recall Chrystia Freeland mentioning something about CBC screening the list, not for the news, for the government.
Perhaps you experienced it differently from others?

Perhaps you experienced it differently from others?
Remius I'm going to go and listen closer to those pressers and see if I misheard. Do you think you could un-asshole yourself in the meantime? :)

Is illegally obtained information admissible in court?

Also do the police services have an administrative measures type thing for police officers which "isn't disciplinary" (where the evidence bar is low)?
Generally no. The courts may allow evidence to be admitted if, even though it might have otherwise violated the Charter, it was obtained in good faith. The relevant legislation, and the court ruling that have flown from them, are Charter Section 1 (limiting of rights reasonable in a free and democratic society) and 24(2) (bringing the administration of justice into disrepute).

If police services initiate investigations based on media reports, the evidence they obtain, and how they obtain it, will be important. The initial allegations are public knowledge and the 'hacker' was not acting as an agent of the State.

The Code of Conduct under the Police Services Act is the disciplinary process. If you are looking to sanction a member or impose certain penalties (loss, time, rank, etc.) that is the basis. Below that, a service and its managers have the usual management tools like any other employer.

Generally no. The courts may allow evidence to be admitted if, even though it might have otherwise violated the Charter, it was obtained in good faith. The relevant legislation, and the court ruling that have flown from them, are Charter Section 1 (limiting of rights reasonable in a free and democratic society) and 24(2) (bringing the administration of justice into disrepute).

If police services initiate investigations based on media reports, the evidence they obtain, and how they obtain it, will be important. The initial allegations are public knowledge and the 'hacker' was not acting as an agent of the State.

The Code of Conduct under the Police Services Act is the disciplinary process. If you are looking to sanction a member or impose certain penalties (loss, time, rank, etc.) that is the basis. Below that, a service and its managers have the usual management tools like any other employer.
I don’t believe any of those stories are indicating any charges beyond disciplinary stuff. So it’s not court evidence standard. I could be wrong. I think it’s pretty lame

Until it became an illegal gathering so what about donations and/or participation?? McCarthyism anybody??
Maybe he should have disclosed that information given his position and access to sensitive information.

Glad the province accepted the three provincial appointees resignations. The board needed a purge regardless.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the legality of people having their bank accounts frozen based off evidence collected from illegal hacking. I didn't think information or evidence gained illegally would be permissible. Was it the late Rehtaeh Parsons who had a hacker release information about her tormentors and the law went after the hackers? Or something to that effect?
If a hacker hacked into a criminals email account and gave evidence to the police I don't think the police would be able to use the evidence to charge them.

Fair enough. Not sure if you're familiar with the CAF system but we have administrative measures which we say isn't disciplinary and used to administratively correct behavior. The lines get blurred when someone can't be charged (or it isn't supported by the JAG) and someones chain of command can give them these administrative measures (which can have career implications, including ending a career) and the burden of proof is pretty low.

Remius I'm going to go and listen closer to those pressers and see if I misheard. Do you think you could un-asshole yourself in the meantime? :)
No QV, you weren’t imagining it. I didn’t burrow to find the GoC justification report document itself, but it is a public report and used CBC reporting as primary elements of invoking the EA…

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the legality of people having their bank accounts frozen based off evidence collected from illegal hacking. I didn't think information or evidence gained illegally would be permissible. Was it the late Rehtaeh Parsons who had a hacker release information about her tormentors and the law went after the hackers? Or something to that effect?
If a hacker hacked into a criminals email account and gave evidence to the police I don't think the police would be able to use the evidence to charge them.
Maybe not.....but instead the guy just gives the info over Crimestoppers and the police find out it's worthy,....should they just let the alledged criminals go scot free? Police investigate and hand off..........no investigative level police had ANYTHING to do with frozen bank accounts.

Maybe not.....but instead the guy just gives the info over Crimestoppers and the police find out it's worthy,....should they just let the alledged criminals go scot free? Police investigate and hand off..........no investigative level police had ANYTHING to do with frozen bank accounts.
That sounds like a recipe to weaponize anonymous sources and illegal hackers "for the greater good".

The alleged criminals didn't receive any due process.

That sounds like a recipe to weaponize anonymous sources and illegal hackers "for the greater good".

Like perhaps investigating if a naval reservist was in fact, a white supremacist after being doxed by a hacker group? We didn't ignore the info, regardless of the source.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/navy-reservist-iron-march-data-1.5382424

The majority of bank accounts were unfrozen pretty quickly and less than 200 accounts out of the reported of tens of thousands of supporters is pretty small, so it was far from a broad based slap down on anyone involved. Will be curious to see what basis they actually used though; normally what makes it up to the Ministers has been dumbed down to 3rd grader level and critical facts regularly get twisted or dropped along the way by people who have no idea what they are talking about that are doing the editing. If you've ever worked on anything that has gotten a press release that is pretty evident, so not sure that's what they actually did at the working level.

You get a note under your door that x is sexually harassing y, but because its not signed you ignore it and carry on ?

You get a note under your door that x (Canadians) is sexually harassing have donated to y GiveSendGo, but because its not signed you ignore it and carry on aligned with the official narrative it is illegal.
FTFY. Do as we say, and above all, think as we do, or else.

Reactions: QV
Back