• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

FTFY. Do as we say, and above all, think as we do, or else.
Remember , I'm defending those that partook or donated,....UNTIL it became illegal. But this discussion was more about trying to make like the police had something to do with it. They get info, they investigate, it's up to the morons up higher what happens with those files.

Remember , I'm defending those that partook or donated,....UNTIL it became illegal. But this discussion was more about trying to make like the police had something to do with it. They get info, they investigate, it's up to the morons up higher what happens with those files.
Yup. Get it. But when the morons say "it's illegal" the police have no choice. Chicken and egg anyone?

As does the career you, and most on here, chose.....
Yeah, but I would say that the definition of what's "illegal" in the CAF has undergone some well earned "re-thinking" in the last few years. Food for thought for the grown ups.

Like perhaps investigating if a naval reservist was in fact, a white supremacist after being doxed by a hacker group? We didn't ignore the info, regardless of the source.
That's a good point and example. I suspect there was an investigation with due process. In fairness I don't know how much investigative work the police did or whether or not there was any sort of due process with the bank accounts. It didn't seem like it to me based off the very little info that was available.

You get a note under your door that x is sexually harassing y, but because its not signed you ignore it and carry on ?
No but wouldn't drive to X's house and put him in jail either.

I was personally against it as soon as they started hoking- I thought that was harassing behavior.
I don't think the police had anything to do with the names being leaked. It seemed like their was some ambiguity over when the protest became illegal and wther or not people who donated from day 1 would be caught up in the punishments. The government and police weren't very clear.

No but wouldn't drive to X's house and put him in jail either.
Would one of them be working somewhere else?? Sometimes things happen before investigation is done.....especially if, after a talk from you, it allegedly happened again.

You're trying to defend an illegal act.......you want to defend those that were part of it before that moment, no problem.

Separate the convoy into two parts.

Like perhaps investigating if a naval reservist was in fact, a white supremacist after being doxed by a hacker group? We didn't ignore the info, regardless of the source.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/navy-reservist-iron-march-data-1.5382424

The majority of bank accounts were unfrozen pretty quickly and less than 200 accounts out of the reported of tens of thousands of supporters is pretty small, so it was far from a broad based slap down on anyone involved. Will be curious to see what basis they actually used though; normally what makes it up to the Ministers has been dumbed down to 3rd grader level and critical facts regularly get twisted or dropped along the way by people who have no idea what they are talking about that are doing the editing. If you've ever worked on anything that has gotten a press release that is pretty evident, so not sure that's what they actually did at the working level.

Anyone else remember when for 9/11 they only froze 50 bank accounts?

We quadrupled it for a some honking, and other bylaw breaking. Oh... also mischief, and counselling mischief...

Would one of them be working somewhere else?? Sometimes things happen before investigation is done.....especially if, after a talk from you, it allegedly happened again.

If a crime is being commited of course stop it.

The bank account seizing seemed shady and a slippery slope to me. When did the protest become illegal? I see Trudeau quoted saying it "was becoming illegal" and Ford said it was illegal. I may have missed the official DTG from the police when it was decided it was illegal.

You're trying to defend an illegal act.......you want to defend those that were part of it before that moment, no problem.
I think the truckers should have been arrested day 1 of blaring their horns. If someone donated money to the gofundme when it was illegal to do so then sure charge them. I just don't like how due process was circumvented because of the very questionable emergency act.

do the police services have an administrative measures type thing for police officers which "isn't disciplinary" (where the evidence bar is low)?
Hell, pretty much every profession has a disciplinary system with lower threshold to find guilt (just balance of probabilities) and looser evidence requirements as compared to the CAF. Instead of a professional disciplinary system, we have a pseudo criminal system.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the legality of people having their bank accounts frozen based off evidence collected from illegal hacking. I didn't think information or evidence gained illegally would be permissible. Was it the late Rehtaeh Parsons who had a hacker release information about her tormentors and the law went after the hackers? Or something to that effect?
If a hacker hacked into a criminals email account and gave evidence to the police I don't think the police would be able to use the evidence to charge them.
I think you are applying criminal law standards to regulatory enforcement. The way I understand things, the banks froze the accounts under their regulatory authorities that were enhanced by the Emergencies Act. Freezing the assets can have a dual role; it prevents them from being used to fund whatever has been declared illegal, and it prevents them from being diminished while an investigation is underway. I'm not aware that law enforcement was involved but stand to be corrected on that.

There is a difference between permissible and admissible. All sorts of things can be permissible under regulatory legislation; ask anybody who's had a run-in with the CRA. As far as I am aware, nobody has been arrested or charged and no money has been confiscated.

I'll have to take it at face value that the banks or regulators got the names solely from the publication of the hackers list, since I don't know.

I tend to agree that police officers, and perhaps military members, who donated to the convoy or any ancillary movement before it was declared illegal and who did not link their status or employment to their support will probably not face any sanction. I just don't see a breach of the Code of Conduct.

We need more citizens denunciating those who participate in political protest and civil disobedience. Then we will better be able to understand Russia, to defeat it.

Reactions: QV
We need more citizens denunciating those who participate in political protest and civil disobedience. Then we will better be able to understand Russia, to defeat it.
Well Brad, I'm just going to keep breaking the windows in your house until PM Trudeau steps down....

No QV, you weren’t imagining it. I didn’t burrow to find the GoC justification report document itself, but it is a public report and used CBC reporting as primary elements of invoking the EA…

Thanks GTG, I was certain it was there somewhere. It’s unbelievable how people are giving this sort of malfeasance a pass these days.

Thanks GTG, I was certain it was there somewhere. It’s unbelievable how people are giving this sort of malfeasance a pass these days.
It's like a federal legislation ethical equivalent to holding a microphone in front of a speaker tied to the same system and getting self-induced feedback...so much easier than doing the tough work of conducting your own Threat Risk Assessment and other independent work to justify enacting the most extreme of Federal laws.

The people in Ottawa who have been granted bail are pretty shocking compared to her.
Locally we have had one guy charged with illegal firearms offences 3 separate times in one month, and he still gets bail every time. Out of those two I know which lunatic I would rather have on the streets.

To me the use of the emergencies act was unjustified as 1) the provinces still had the ability and capability to end the protests (they just chose not to utilize all the powers at their disposal) and 2) it seems to mainly been used to bypass our legal system as a means of punishing rather than ending the protests. You want accounts frozen? Apply to the courts like everyone else. Otherwise our legal system is a joke that can be bypassed whenever it is inconvenient.

Oh it's going to happen at this rate, and do not be surprised if we see another NDP government in Alberta

Five weeks before United Conservative Party members vote on Premier Jason Kenney's fate as leader, grassroots organizers and MLAs are working to tip the balance.

Take Back Alberta, a provincial conservative grassroots group, says it's been holding meetings since December to convince members to vote to turf Kenney in the upcoming leadership review.

The group is also working to pay for transportation and attendance costs for members who would not otherwise be able to attend the special meeting in Red Deer on April 9.

Rachael Harris Popcorn GIF by Lucifer

And Lich is on day 19 of being held in jail…for what again? Has this ever happened before?
Yeah, get a recap on the hearing yesterday first. I wouldn't say she was well prepared.

Back