• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Is a spouses political position a personal problem for the member ?

I mean so long as I continue to show up for work and do as ordered, I can't see how that works.

Nevertheless it would interesting so on trial.

@FJAG what say you ?
it Could it have an impact on one’s ability to get a security clearance I would think. Although in this case that would still be a thin issue. I can’t see political positions or opinions being a real issue. Maybe there is more to this story that we aren’t seeing? Has the member made declarations at work that might worry his colleagues? Other social media posts?

Based on just having signs? I would doubt any of this has any legs.

it Could it have an impact on one’s ability to get a security clearance I would think. Although in this case that would still be a thin issue. I can’t see political positions or opinions being a real issue. Maybe there is more to this story that we aren’t seeing? Has the member made declarations at work that might worry his colleagues? Other social media posts?

Based on just having signs? I would doubt any of this has any legs.

Agreed. I mean if my spouse suddenly put up a huge communist flag on the yard along with other signage I could see how that might strain a SC.

Also a spouse in a bike gang may be problematic...

It would be interesting to see on trial.

I knew a few soldiers in the 70s who lost their clearances because a high school friend expressed Communist views.

Is a spouses political position a personal problem for the member ?

I mean so long as I continue to show up for work and do as ordered, I can't see how that works.

Nevertheless it would interesting so on trial.

@FJAG what say you ?
It's clearly not a disciplinary matter but it could certainly become an administrative action matter.

There's more to the military than showing up for work and doing as ordered.

I knew a few soldiers in the 70s who lost their clearances because a high school friend expressed Communist views.
It took me two years to get my Secret clearance because I had family living in East Berlin back in the day.

🍻

It's clearly not a disciplinary matter but it could certainly become an administrative action matter.

There's more to the military than showing up for work and doing as ordered.

It took me two years to get my Secret clearance because I had family living in East Berlin back in the day.

🍻

I appreciate your input. Clearly there is more; but would it not have to be proven to be affecting or interfering in your performance at work ?

Family attachments and their activities can definitely impact your security clearance.

I appreciate your input. Clearly there is more; but would it not have to be proven to be affecting or interfering in your performance at work ?
Certainly but there's a lot more flexibility and room for interpretation in admin matters than in disciplinary/criminal law.

In any corporate structure, whether military or civilian, there is always a balancing of what is good or bad for the individual and what is good or bad for the corporate entity. People on opposite sides of the issue tend not to see the dividing line in the same place.

🍻

Certainly but there's a lot more flexibility and room for interpretation in admin matters than in disciplinary/criminal law.

In any corporate structure, whether military or civilian, there is always a balancing of what is good or bad for the individual and what is good or bad for the corporate entity. People on opposite sides of the issue tend not to see the dividing line in the same place.

🍻

Merci beaucoup! Sounds like a good episode for a TV show lol

Contingency planning is not their strength
If it's anything like Ontario (and I'm sure we are not alone) there might be a plan in a binder on a shelf somewhere, but no money to exercise it or stockpile assets to accommodate it. The PPE situation during early Covid is an example. After SARS, they established a stockpile, then lost interest and it all timed out or was used up in day-to-day use.

CPC's weekly polling must have shown they're fuckin doomed if they continue to support the likes of Pat King. Who woulda thunk it?
20 hours ago Pierre Polievre said “Keep going”. I’ll be curious to see what his next tweet says.

I don't know if there is much roadrailer (semi-trailers on rail cars) equipment around. It's not really that popular anymore and your need facilities at both ends and drivers/tractors to take them away. Containerized loads are somewhat more flexible but you still need facilities that have capacity - I am only assuming there are intermodal yards nearby - plus the need for tractors/drivers.
Unfortunately this isn't how Railroad Companies operate anymore. CP and CN have closed a lot of their yards and switched to a system called Precision Scheduled Railroading.

Freight Trains run on fixed schedules now like Passenger Trains and time switching between yards is minimized. It's up to the customer to find the train that best suits their needs.

This is so the Freight Train Companies maximize their profits and value for shareholders.

I really really hope that serious people in Canada are watching all of this and taking notes on how this all went down. It just goes to show how little it takes to paralyze our institutions into inaction.

We really need to take a hard look at how Canada operates. Our comfort blankets of US hegemony and distance from trouble spots are shown to be pretty threadbare.

Takes me back to internal security training and the basic concept that if a small group of people can get together and paralyze a government institution or activity with impunity one quickly loses control of the underlying principle of a peaceful democracy and ends up in an area where minority protests become ever more diverse, frequent, violent and disruptive. You can never let the mob think that by banding together that they are immune.

IMHO the US is doing it right with the Jan 6 prosecutions and awarding appropriate penalties where warranted. That needs to be coupled with more aggressive policing during such protests to set limits and boundaries. And before anyone asks, yes, I believe that applies to any and all such protests, demonstrations, barricades etc which interrupt or impede the continuous and peaceful activities of our citizens and commerce.

🍻

Takes me back to internal security training and the basic concept that if a small group of people can get together and paralyze a government institution or activity with impunity one quickly loses control of the underlying principle of a peaceful democracy and ends up in an area where minority protests become ever more diverse, frequent, violent and disruptive. You can never let the mob think that by banding together that they are immune.

IMHO the US is doing it right with the Jan 6 prosecutions and awarding appropriate penalties where warranted. That needs to be coupled with more aggressive policing during such protests to set limits and boundaries. And before anyone asks, yes, I believe that applies to any and all such protests, demonstrations, barricades etc which interrupt or impede the continuous and peaceful activities of our citizens and commerce.

🍻

OTOH, based on their recent (lack of) performance, there's a good argument for disbanding the police forces of the Capital cities in both the US and Canada and redesigning them to be more effective at their jobs.

Just sayin' ...

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

OTOH, based on their recent (lack of) performance, there's a good argument for disbanding the police forces of the Capital cities in both the US and Canada and redesigning them to be more effective at their jobs.

Just sayin' ...

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh
I think they need a few more hard asses, that don't necessarily look all that good in interviews or on the Globe & Mail test.

Of course it's all about what effect the elected officials want?

And the big one.....

Whether they are willing to make a decision and live with the consequences of said decision.

Back