• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

OTOH, based on their recent (lack of) performance, there's a good argument for disbanding the police forces of the Capital cities in both the US and Canada and redesigning them to be more effective at their jobs.

Just sayin' ...

Just Saying Come On GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh
Not sure about disbanding but they do need to buy a few heavy tow trucks (preferably with dozer blades).

:giggle:

Some people were wondering (possibly questioning) about people taking care of each other in Ottawa.

Silver lining.
I think that was MarioMike. I was saying how great Ottawa is and how much they always come together to support each other.:)

An example of a collateral of this temper tantrum:

RCMP Manitoba said:
A 74-year-old male was stuck in a demonstration convoy on Highway 3 last week as he was attempting to drive his 82-year-old sister, who was in dire need of medical care, to the hospital. The convoy was “slow-rolling” on the only highway to the only hospital in the area

RCMP Manitoba said:
This situation is completely & utterly unacceptable & it cannot be repeated. The Manitoba RCMP will continue to closely monitor these demonstrations and will not tolerate any blocking of roads or highways that lead to hospitals.

So which is it?

This was a bit eye opening. Food for thought. I may rethink my position on Sloly after reading that,

That was a really good article and read thanks for posting that. I'm surprised what he was saying about a separate, non policed HQ type area set up by organized right-wing hardliners that appears fortified with vehicles and obstacles.

But I can tell you that some of the protesters themselves are surprised by how easy it was for them to set up shop.
Interesting comment.

So it Coutts, Emerson, Sarnia, Windsor all blockaded. Rumours that Regway SK is next.

The fringe minority is sure able to spread its footprint.

So it Coutts, Emerson, Sarnia, Windsor all blockaded. Rumours that Regway SK is next.

Yes, maybe this fringe isn't as fringe as they said 😉

As I said earlier, 10% of the population is still 3.8 million people. You back people in to a corner and they will do crazy things.

If this is about supporting truckers, it's interesting to hear what they have to say.
I love how people keep trying to make it about something it clearly isn't about. It hasn't been about truckers since before it arrived in Ottawa, but people keep trying to play the "gotcha" game with truckers... I'm sure it will work today, despite the fact it hasn't for the last 12 days.

Yes, maybe this fringe isn't as fringe as they said 😉

As I said earlier, 10% of the population is still 3.8 million people. You back people in to a corner and they will do crazy things.
That was something I noticed early on, there is what seems to be a fair portion of people in the protest that are already financially, and socially "ruined" by the mandates, so they don't really have much else to lose, and have openly stated it.

Canada isn't used to large scale public unrest, we have been fat and happy for a long time. I'm sure the top police officers across the country are all brainstorming ways to deal with this sort of thing when it pops up in their neck of the woods.

I love how people keep trying to make it about something it clearly isn't about. It hasn't been about truckers since before it arrived in Ottawa, but people keep trying to play the "gotcha" game with truckers... I'm sure it will work today, despite the fact it hasn't for the last 12 days.

That was something I noticed early on, there is what seems to be a fair portion of people in the protest that are already financially, and socially "ruined" by the mandates, so they don't really have much else to lose, and have openly stated it.

Canada isn't used to large scale public unrest, we have been fat and happy for a long time. I'm sure the top police officers across the country are all brainstorming ways to deal with this sort of thing when it pops up in their neck of the woods.
We also have one of the lowest per capita numbers of police in the World, especially in comparison yo Countries of our size.

Well the general public I interact with don't support them. In fact, the only support I see for them now is on this forum.

Be interesting to know if public support for them has changed over the last ten days, since that was posted. One way, or the other, or not at all.

Also, what effect, if any, this will have on which team wins the next election.

Just wait the railways are next. As we all know it won't take much to stop trains on their tracks. Again the rail tunnels in Windsor and Sarnia. Sarnia is interesting. Because if the west coast bottleneck at the ports (caused by some dumb rules and regulations put in place on trucker!) Shippers were using Canadian ports Sarnia is double high so stacked TEU's and FEU's can fit. Shut them down and more US economic pain.

You back people in to a corner and they will do crazy things.

A very old lesson, but the idea of the "golden bridge" is lost. The preferred contemporary technique for dealing with people outside the allowable range of discourse is to marginalize and squeeze them wherever it seems they might still have room to escape. Be sure to call them names frequently, so you always have an excuse to never appear to back down or compromise. Obviously if there is still unrest, it means the fist is not squeezed tightly enough.

Another old lesson is that revolts don't always happen when rule is most strictly enforced; hints of relaxation/reform prompt further unrest. (The more jurisdictions that relax COVID restrictions, the greater the pressure on those trying to maintain or even increase restrictions.)

Not sure about disbanding but they do need to buy a few heavy tow trucks (preferably with dozer blades).

:giggle:
A la Mad Max:

1644524505021.png
Or we could do like in the States where law enforcement gets surplus military equipment. Then again, by the time the CAF is done with something I'm not sure they'd want it.

What they really need is for the chain of command, civilian oversight and politicians to back them when things go sideways, and they will. The "they" is the individual members. Senior command may not get their contract renewed or, even more rare, get their wrist slapped (it happened to a TPS commander after G8/G20), but it is the individual coppers who often end up in the dock.

A contested arrest, let alone a protest confrontation, is messy, and with social and traditional media, is there for all to see. Despite the training, most cops aren't ninja warriors and its not scripted like on TV. Any action taken in the 'heat of battle' will be parsed both formally and informally. At the macro level, law enforcement should always be aware of this, since they can lose the legitimacy of the public if it seen as too heavy handed. Quite frankly, if they thought about it, the so-called organizers should be worried as well. They don't really control much of what is going on, and all it takes is for some lunatic to do something really stupid and any public support they have will evaporate.

A la Mad Max:

View attachment 68618
Or we could do like in the States where law enforcement gets surplus military equipment. Then again, by the time the CAF is done with something I'm not sure they'd want it.

What they really need is for the chain of command, civilian oversight and politicians to back them when things go sideways, and they will. The "they" is the individual members. Senior command may not get their contract renewed or, even more rare, get their wrist slapped (it happened to a TPS commander after G8/G20), but it is the individual coppers who often end up in the dock.

A contested arrest, let alone a protest confrontation, is messy, and with social and traditional media, is there for all to see. Despite the training, most cops aren't ninja warriors and its not scripted like on TV. Any action taken in the 'heat of battle' will be parsed both formally and informally. At the macro level, law enforcement should always be aware of this, since they can lose the legitimacy of the public if it seen as too heavy handed. Quite frankly, if they thought about it, the so-called organizers should be worried as well. They don't really control much of what is going on, and all it takes is for some lunatic to do something really stupid and any public support they have will evaporate.
As I said earlier, someone has to make a decision and live with the consequences.

If it's decided to forcefully evict the protesters, officers, protesters and innocent bystanders will get hurt.

As I said earlier, someone has to make a decision and live with the consequences.

If it's decided to forcefully evict the protesters, officers, protesters and innocent bystanders will get hurt.
Given the current scale and the fact that some politicians may be starting to give in, I think that force is the lesser of two evils. I would hate for these people to think that they accomplished something. Just wait to see what else they may try.

Back