• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

I think the UCP even passed a law against that sort of thing. Maybe they should send the RCMP to enforce it.

I was wondering why we don't hear about police arresting people in Ottawa for drinking and pissing in public, and assaulting people with beer cans.

It is illegal to block highways (and prevent citizens from doing anything they are allowed to legally do or allowed not to do).

"Intimidation
  • 423 (1) Every one is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years or is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction who, wrongfully and without lawful authority, for the purpose of compelling another person to abstain from doing anything that he or she has a lawful right to do, or to do anything that he or she has a lawful right to abstain from doing,
    • (a) uses violence or threats of violence to that person or their intimate partner or children, or injures the person’s property;
    • (b) intimidates or attempts to intimidate that person or a relative of that person by threats that, in Canada or elsewhere, violence or other injury will be done to or punishment inflicted on him or her or a relative of his or hers, or that the property of any of them will be damaged;
    • (c) persistently follows that person;
    • (d) hides any tools, clothes or other property owned or used by that person, or deprives him or her of them or hinders him or her in the use of them;
    • (e) with one or more other persons, follows that person, in a disorderly manner, on a highway;
    • (f) besets or watches the place where that person resides, works, carries on business or happens to be; or
    • (g) blocks or obstructs a highway.
  • Marginal note:Exception
    (2) A person who attends at or near or approaches a dwelling-house or place, for the purpose only of obtaining or communicating information, does not watch or beset within the meaning of this section."

I'm sure they are having difficulty finding someone literate among their ranks.

They had someone participating in the protest on cbc's cross country checkup this morning and he didn't sound like he could reason his way out of a paper bag.
Yes, but be honest,.....I'll bet they passed over the boring literate folk who could actually discuss the issues, and went running to the moron with open microphones.

We knew there would be provocateurs, anarchists and other ne'er do wells attending. I would even posit there were people there staging red flag events to bring scorn on the protest. The police had lots of people being videoed by teams of investigators and infiltrating the crowd. Hopefully, they got lots of good evidence. I am not ready to accuse the main protest people with those listed above. What I do support is a good, thorough investigation, to affix proper blame and charges and to find out who the vandals and miscreants are associated with.

It is illegal to block highways (and prevent citizens from doing anything they are allowed to legally do or allowed not to do).

And the customary response to a protest is chock full of discretion, rather than people being hauled off promptly.

It's pathetic to litigate one kind of protest because it offends personal sensibilities. But I suppose that's where some people are at.

We knew there would be provocateurs, anarchists and other ne'er do wells attending. I would even posit there were people there staging red flag events to bring scorn on the protest. The police had lots of people being videoed by teams of investigators and infiltrating the crowd. Hopefully, they got lots of good evidence. I am not ready to accuse the main protest people with those listed above. What I do support is a good, thorough investigation, to affix proper blame and charges and to find out who the vandals and miscreants are associated with.
I've been listening to radio interviews and talking to some people in the area. It sounds like there's a lot of people getting into other peoples faces, shouting at anyone wearing a mask, and being all around trash balls. It's pretty infuriating.

Hard to say if the majority of people behaving like that are from BC or not. I'd be willing to bet a lot of locals from Ottawa and the surrounding area are coming out of the woodwork to cause shit.

The great news is the amount of video footage that everyone will take. Lets see how thoroughly people breaking the law are investigated and prosecuted.

Messaging is still confusing. Press conference
I've been listening to radio interviews and talking to some people in the area. It sounds like there's a lot of people getting into other peoples faces, shouting at anyone wearing a mask, and being all around trash balls. It's pretty infuriating.

Hard to say if the majority of people behaving like that are from BC or not. I'd be willing to bet a lot of locals from Ottawa and the surrounding area are coming out of the woodwork to cause shit.

The great news is the amount of video footage that everyone will take. Lets see how thoroughly people breaking the law are investigated and prosecuted.
lots of anti lock down eff Trudeau up the valley in pembroke renfrew area so yes I’m sure they came to support and cause crap.

I was wondering why we don't hear about police arresting people in Ottawa for drinking and pissing in public, and assaulting people with beer cans.
A few possible reasons:
  • Perhaps they are, we're just not hearing about it. Public drinking isn't typically press release worthy.
  • Public drinking is a 'found committing' provincial offence.
  • On its own, public urination is not an offence. It might be a bylaw in Ottawa. Even if so, also 'found committing'.
  • Whether throwing a beer can 'at' somebody constitutes an offence would depend on the circumstances. If someone was struck, definitely an offence, provided you can identify the offender and have willing witnesses/evidence.
  • I'm not sure how many police are roaming free. I would think most, except those specialty teams who are likely staged) are assigned to traffic or security points

In events such as these, the old saying of discretion being the better for of valour comes to mind. The goal is public safety vs. law enforcement. Every arrest or interaction becomes a potential flashpoint and ties up members. It's hardly worth causing a riot over a beer, and never start a fight you can't finish.

Yes, blocking traffic is, on its face, a criminal offence, but I can imagine any decent defence counsel would whip out Section 2 of the Charter (peacefully assembly) to argue the "wrongfully and without lawful authority" clause of the Section. I don't know if this Section has been Charter-tested. Perhaps a clear stance would be nice, but you might not like the answer you get.

If the police wanted to start clearing the streets, they'd better have an awful lot arrest teams lined up, plus Public Order to deal with the fallout (plus a fleet of larger wreckers).

Patrick King is awesome lol. I wonder why they let this guy talk.

Glad to see the police are helping to facilitate the safe exit from the city for the legitimate law abiding protesters who made their point. From what a hear some don’t want to be associated with the crazies and are hightailing it out from here. We’ll see what the crowds look like tomorrow.

If I didn’t think it was a crazy conspiracy theory, I would almost think this thing was organized by the Liberal Party. The only person I see benefiting from this gong show is Justin Trudeau. But as Warren Kinsella said today, JT and the Liberals couldn’t organize a decent conspiracy if their lives depended on it.

Regardless of whether the kooks shown are a representative number or not, the organizers were pretty terrible at distancing themselves from them. So either they are either incompetent, sympathetic, or don’t care because they are grifting on the gullible.

As for the Tories attaching themselves like barnacles to this dumpster fire…are you trying to lose my vote and others that want a sane alternative to the Liberals?

If I didn’t think it was a crazy conspiracy theory, I would almost think this thing was organized by the Liberal Party. The only person I see benefiting from this gong show is Justin Trudeau. But as Warren Kinsella said today, JT and the Liberals couldn’t organize a decent conspiracy if their lives depended on it.

Regardless of whether the kooks shown are a representative number or not, the organizers were pretty terrible at distancing themselves from them. So either they are either incompetent, sympathetic, or don’t care because they are grifting on the gullible.

As for the Tories attaching themselves like barnacles to this dumpster fire…are you trying to lose my vote and others that want a sane alternative to the Liberals?
This .

When O’toole kept his distance, I was actually happy to see him do that. But then Pierre Polievre started to become the conservative voice for this thing and he’s jockeying for the leadership run he thinks will happen. So O’toole flip flops and does the same.

This won’t wear well on the CPC. It certainly makes me reconsider my vote.

This .

When O’toole kept his distance, I was actually happy to see him do that. But then Pierre Polievre started to become the conservative voice for this thing and he’s jockeying for the leadership run he thinks will happen. So O’toole flip flops and does the same.

This won’t wear well on the CPC. It certainly makes me reconsider my vote.
Leave it alone ffs, it's getting tiresome. Conservative bad, liberals good, got it. Oh boy, how we get it. The conservatives could cure cancer tomorrow and you'd be up their asses for putting oncologists out of work.

Leave it alone ffs, it's getting tiresome. Conservative bad, liberals good, got it. Oh boy, how we get it. The conservatives could cure cancer tomorrow and you'd be up their asses for putting oncologists out of work.
Sorry it upsets you. I voted for them last time. I just wish they wouldn’t self destruct. Feel free to ignore.

Sorry it upsets you. I voted for them last time. I just wish they wouldn’t self destruct. Feel free to ignore.
I’m not upset. Look, i get it, they’ve stepped on their wieners more than a few times, and I’m not too pleased with their performance the last few years. But Jesus man, the wailing and gnashing of teeth every time a somewhat right of Che Guevara Canadian dares to express a though is getting boring.

i saw something this morning about this, but yeah, nothing credible to back up the claim or anything to confirm it. I know the shepards of good hope complained that the trucks blocking their emergency lane could have costed lives but Luckily hadn’t.

I would chalk this up to possible scenario but not likely true. It would have been picked up by now if it was.

Back